Sponsored

Any vehicle that is comparable to Rivian ?

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I am a late reservation holder and seeing as I probably won’t get a chance to purchase a rivian until 2023 possibly, looking at other options. I love the looks of the rivian and the power, but don’t think I’ll wait that long to buy. Also with inflation and the talks of raising the prices would put me out. Is there any other vehicles out there that have nice interiors, power, and decent price tags? I don’t need to take my 70k+ BEV off-road. Pavement princess it is for me. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I am a late reservation holder and seeing as I probably won’t get a chance to purchase a rivian until 2023 possibly, looking at other options. I love the looks of the rivian and the power, but don’t think I’ll wait that long to buy. Also with inflation and the talks of raising the prices would put me out. Is there any other vehicles out there that have nice interiors, power, and decent price tags? I don’t need to take my 70k+ BEV off-road. Pavement princess it is for me. Any suggestions?
I just picked up a polestar 2 to hold me over until I can get my R1T. Range isn't even remotely comparable to the max pack, but if you're not looking for offroading it's definitely worth looking at if where you travel has plentiful DCFC options.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Comparable? Not really at this point. But there are lots of good alternatives.

Polestar 2 (or maybe 3, if you wait a bit)
Model Y
Ioniq
Mach-E
XC-40 Recharge
VW ID.4
Maybe one of the new Genesis options

Im strongly considering getting a Polestar on a short-term lease until Rivian gets there shit together.

This week has destroyed my faith in the company.

Last edited:

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Cadillac Lyriq if your looking for something with more luxury. I have a preorder and may purchase seeing as it will be forever till I get my R1S (9-21 order)

Last edited:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Are you looking at alternatives for the R1S or R1T?
Maybe I missed that somewhere.

R1T you've got the Lightning, Cybertruck and Hummer coming along but unlikely those would be any earlier than a 2023 unless you already have an early reservation.

R1S I would say it depends on what your criteria is.
For me there are no comparable options until 2023 at the earliest. That is because I need a useable 7 seats and there does not seem to be anything in the next few years that fit that. Even the R1S is borderline.
So with that criteria I'm looking out for the ID Buzz, Canoo, but really for whoever comes out with an electric full size SUV.
If the 7 seats aren't crucial, then there are quite a few decent options for the "pavement princess" roll that others have already pointed out.

Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Are you looking at alternatives for the R1S or R1T?
Maybe I missed that somewhere.

R1T you've got the Lightning, Cybertruck and Hummer coming along but unlikely those would be any earlier than a 2023 unless you already have an early reservation.

R1S I would say it depends on what your criteria is.
For me there are no comparable options until 2023 at the earliest. That is because I need a useable 7 seats and there does not seem to be anything in the next few years that fit that. Even the R1S is borderline.
So with that criteria I'm looking out for the ID Buzz, Canoo, but really for whoever comes out with an electric full size SUV.
If the 7 seats aren't crucial, then there are quite a few decent options for the "pavement princess" roll that others have already pointed out.
Might be a stretch as it is a PHEV… but usage case might make the Aviator GT a pavement princess R1S alternate. I placed an order for one with a second row bench (7 pax) last July when comms issues started getting to me.

Last edited:

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Many expect that any price increase would not be passed to existing orders, so between inflation and price increases a preorder might have a sizeable discount over a future retail price.

As far as competitors, Land Rover has many conventional hybrid and PHEV options now. The biggest issue there is that there are significant dealer markups being applied to some models, like the Defender. Ford is unveiling an all-new Ranger this month. I expect it will have a conventional hybrid option. We should only be so lucky if it has a PHEV option.

Given the current market you are going to run into the same pricing issue with any brand.

OP
OP
Jehorton

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
@SlaterGS I like both a lot and frequently go back and forth on which one is choose. I’ve had a pickup truck most my life but don’t see the need anymore. I love the thought of having the r1s and there seems to be nothing like rivian on the market, including rivian lol. I see many on here deciding to purchase a placeholder until the release of their r1. Idk if I should go that route or just continue to drive my f150 until the day comes in 2023 to finally be able to purchase my R1

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Might be a stretch as it is a PHEV… but usage case might make the Aviator GT a pavement princess R1S alternate. I placed an order for one with a second row bench (7 pax) last July when comms issues started getting to me.
Would probably need to be the Navigator version for me, but yea that would be fairly close to the R1S. However personally I will never buy a hybrid vehicle.

OP
OP
Jehorton

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Would probably need to be the Navigator version for me, but yea that would be fairly close to the R1S. However personally I will never buy a hybrid vehicle.
Yea I don’t want a hybrid. I’m ready to go full on BEV. The thought of never needing to fill up at a gas station again is so satisfying! I rarely drive further than 20 miles daily.

Sponsored

André

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Sprinter, Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Finances
Many expect that any price increase would not be passed to existing orders, so between inflation and price increases a preorder might have a sizeable discount over a future retail price.
In preorders terms & conditions:

"These Terms do not constitute an agreement for the sale of a Vehicle and do not lock in pricing, a firm production slot, a firm delivery date, or specific Vehicle configuration. To complete the purchase or lease of a Vehicle, you will need to execute Rivian’s standard Order Agreement and Agreement to Purchase (“Final Sales Agreement”) which will include additional terms and conditions, including the final price sheet for the vehicle you ultimately select (“Your Selected Vehicle”)."

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Yea I don’t want a hybrid. I’m ready to go full on BEV. The thought of never needing to fill up at a gas station again is so satisfying! I rarely drive further than 20 miles daily.
Just to be clear: at 20 miles a day, a plug-in hybrid might allow you to visit a gas station very rarely. We have 900 miles on my wife’s Pacifica PHEV and the tank is ¾ full.

That being said, I want to go BEV too... But if we still don’t have delivery estimates and any information on the R1S' second and third row usability by the end of this month, I think I will pull the trigger on a long-term lease or purchase.

The loss I would suffer from trading in/selling/swap a leasing that vehicle when my turn comes for my LE R1S to be delivered, if it ends up having a practical second row, would just be an added variable in the equation. This will be added to the lack of Car Play: I have a short term lease Tesla M3 and don’t see the fuss about the Tesla interface, I miss Car Play all the time.

Good luck on your search.
Yeah... I like the Navigator... and pretty much all the full size SUVs out there, they fit my needs perfectly - sure its the same for many others here. But theres ice and there ICE - cant bring myself to driving such guzzlers anymore.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yeah... I like the Navigator... and pretty much all the full size SUVs out there, they fit my needs perfectly - sure its the same for many others here. But theres ice and there ICE - cant bring myself to driving such guzzlers anymore.
I hear you. Most of our daily miles are on the leaf but we fill up our Navigator probably once every two weeks. That's not too bad compared to others, but still can't wait to be full BEV.

MattCanesR1T

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Director Quality Engineering
anyone have suggestions on similar non-phev vehicles to compare with R1S? my wife wants to compare before deciding if she can wait for the R1S or not. I know dimensions are scarce but maybe someone has some insight? i know i'll be waiting for my r1t regardless

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
anyone have suggestions on similar non-phev vehicles to compare with R1S? my wife wants to compare before deciding if she can wait for the R1S or not. I know dimensions are scarce but maybe someone has some insight? i know i'll be waiting for my r1t regardless
Pure BEV only?
Sponsored