First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Tesla tap is only for L2 chargers, it does not work on the super charger networks and has a 40 amp charge limit.
Let me repeat that. The Tesla Tap does not work on L3 (Tesla Supercharger).

But I'll add that there are newer versions of the TeslaTap that do handle 50 A (i.e. the 48A max for Tesla L2 EVSE) and that don't have the pigtail (looks more like the Tesla J1772 adapter.

I'll also add that that was a lot of kerfuffle a couple of months ago when Musk announced that he was throwing the Supercharger network open to all BEV. This would, of course, be the salvation of the Rivian driver (or any BEV driver for that matter) but I haven't seen anything further on this recently.
Sponsored

TheSasquatch

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
IT Consulting
Tesla tap is only for L2 chargers, it does not work on the super charger networks and has a 40 amp charge limit.
Thanks for explaining this. In light of this, is there any way to get at least a fairly good charge speed on a tesla charger with a Rivian? Additionally, how the hell would you use a Tesla super charger when it wouldn't recognize the vehicle (Super chargers just work automatically- without any user input)?
Thanks in advance. Again, I'm sure many of you here are rolling your eyes at these questions as it has most likely been beaten to death in the forums previously-but I cannot find it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Thanks for explaining this. In light of this, is there any way to get at least a fairly good charge speed on a tesla charger with a Rivian?
Yes, with the 50A TeslaTap you can charge a Rivian at the same rate as you can charge a Tesla (48A) from any Telsa L2 charger (HPWC).

Additionally, how the hell would you use a Tesla super charger when it wouldn't recognize the vehicle (Super chargers just work automatically- without any user input)?
You can't. A Tesla to CCS adapter will have to be developed which adapter will not only have to be able to handle the charging protocol communications but interface between Tesla's "Plug and Charge" and Rivian's version of that. As Ross Perot used to say, "The devil is in the details." It has been suggested that the billing will be handled by requiring the non Tesla user to download a non Tesla version of the Tesla App and that authentification and billing will be handled through that.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
yesterday I charged my Tesla X with a 75kwh battery. it charged for 6 hours 4m, added 152.35 miles of range. that comes out to 25.3 miles per hour.

yesterday I charged my Fiat 500E. It doesn't have fancy data logging like the tesla does, but when I plugged it in it said it'd be charged in 2hr 45m, based on its limited dash information that meant 25 miles in an hour of charging.
The Tesla is rated at (probably, based on 75kwh vintage) 333 wh/mi
25.3 miles per hour means you were charging it at 8.43kw

The Fiat 500e is rated at 240 Wh/mi
25 miles per hour means you were charging it at 6kw

Those are the differences others are alluding to.

The R1T is rated at 480wh/mi
To charge an R1T at 25 mph therefore requires charging at 12 kw.

TheSasquatch

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consulting
Thanks Smithery!
These quick and concise summaries are SO helpful. That makes it easier to understand.

I think I'm still questioning / wondering what I need if I've currently got a 240 / 14-50 in my garage for my Tesla (just looks like a 240w dryer outlet). What would I need to get an "adequate / similar" charging speed for my Rivian? If I just plan on getting the TeslaTap, would it be sufficient or do I need to have my electrician buddy upgrade my circuit in the panel to a higher level? Can we assume that I've got a 40a in the panel or is it possibly a smaller circuit breaker that's still powering my Tesla charging to the adequate nightly level I'm getting? How's THAT for a common man question? lol

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I think I'm still questioning / wondering what I need if I've currently got a 240 / 14-50 in my garage for my Tesla (just looks like a 240w dryer outlet). What would I need to get an "adequate / similar" charging speed for my Rivian?
The practical "legal" options were laid out in No. 40.

Can we assume that I've got a 40a in the panel or is it possibly a smaller circuit breaker that's still powering my Tesla charging to the adequate nightly level I'm getting?
Go look! A 14-50R looks looks like this:
Rivian R1T R1S Home Charging Speed 14-50R

The three straight pins are the same size.

If this is what you have go plug in your UMC and then go to the panel and start flipping fat (two pole) breakers until you find the one that causes the lights on the UMC to go out. Then read the numbers on the handle of that breaker. If it says 50 then you have a 50A circuit behind your 14-50R and options 1 through 5 as listed in No. 40 are available to you for "adequate" (up to 40 A charging rate) without doing anything.

do I need to have my electrician buddy upgrade my circuit in the panel to a higher level?
The most your electrician buddy can do is get you another 8 A which he can do if the wire is No. 6 rated 75 °. All he has to do in this case is install a 60A breaker instead of the 50A breaker, rip out the receptacle and install a hard wired Tesla, Rivian or third party EVSE rated to 48A.

If the wire is not sufficient to support 60A then he will have to pull new wire and then install 48A EVSE.

Should the breaker handle read 40 then he will have to do the same (pull new wire) to get you to 48A. That's the most you can have with L2 with Tesla or Rivian.

TheSasquatch

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consulting
AJ - So helpful. Thanks a ton man. I've been busy all day but just read what you said and am super grateful. That's really helpful just to have concise info on what to do. No one really discusses it and I'm not sure there's any Rivian write-ups (at least that's been clearly given to the public) that indicates this type of info and I feel like everyone getting a Rivian needs this stuff. Geez, actually- most people with a Tesla really should have this info as well so everyone can have the best possible setup. Most don't know that they're not getting the full / possible charge delivery.
I'll check-out my setup tomorrow to see what my buddy and I put -in a few years ago to see what we need to move to.
You can feel that you did your good deed for today because the time you spent typing was extremely valuable :)

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
I'm still holding out hope that the max pack will also come with larger onboard chargers and 300kwh DC fast charge capability due to the enormous pack size

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@TheSasquatch you are not alone in being underinformed about EV charging, and range for that matter. A friend of mine recently got a Mach-E with the 73KWH pack and the dealer provided no instruction on when, where, how to charge didn't offer the Ford EVSE or discuss range (other than told her it was their larger battery of the two options). She just assumed she could plug it into a L1 15A receptacle at night and be fine. Luckily she had a welding receptacle in her garage... I gave her a few basic pointers on range and charging and she is learning as she goes. Without the basic knowledge of the power requirements of an EV users will be greatly and unnecessarily limited in using them. Your questions are well stated there are many who don't even know what questions to ask. @ajdelange, @DucRider, @electruck, and others on this Forum have done a great service to helping many of us understand our EV's. If legacy OEM's are going to transition from selling 2% EV's to 98% EV's they had better devise effective programs to educate their consumers.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Look i don't claim to know what I'm talking about, but that doesn't address my next data point which was that a Fiat 500E with a dinky ass battery charges up to its max range at the same rate, 25 miles of range in 60m of 240v/32a.

It's much more efficient than the X.

I don't have the Bolt any more, but it also would add 25 miles of range in an hour of 240v/32a charging.

it was in the 3.2 miles/kw range that was the number I could get out of it.

even third party chargers have tools that tell you 'per mile' as a metric of charging based on amperage, see here: https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/home/

that's why I'm so confused by the numbers being used for Rivian, it will definitely take more time as the battery is bigger (132 kwh?) or even more with the max pack in the 180 kw range, but the number of miles seems to be constant across other car manufacturers.
Well at least you got rid of the Bolt.
now about that Fiat……

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
So if I want the 25mi/hour I have to buy the $500 wall appliance? What does that do that the cord and internal charger in the truck not generate on their own? I was kind of thinking the wall charger was just a gimmicky thing that allowed you to use the app to control / status things.
So most people have the wall appliance included in their order? Tesla doesn't need the big dumb wall appliance to get a faster charge. Weird.
I use the Tesla wall mounted charger . It’s awesome, convenient and delivers a faster more powerful charge. Yes get the Rivian one.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
For me the Rivian wall mount EVSE is a no brainer as well since this will be my first plug-in. The price is very competitive and it has the benefit of being being supported by the manufacturer.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd

Peasi520vT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 GTS, B7 RS4, B8 S4, 15' Tahoe LTZ, 87'4000cs
Clubs

Hi, so I am in the process of having a wall charger put in the garage for the truck. However, I am not sure what the big difference is between one electricians way of installing the unit with a split breaker (208v@60A) vs. another electricians way of putting another sub-panel (240v@60A) and how this may or may not effects the rate of charge.
So am I still going to get the maximum rated juice to the truck ~25mi/hr of charge?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ your 60amp rated circuit is allowed to supply 48 continuous amps, which happens to be the exact amperage the Rivian Wall Charger supplies. So, regardless of being connected via a direct run from your main panel/split breaker or from a sub-panel.. as long as the EVSE can get 48amps.. you'll charge at ~25 m/hr.
Sponsored