First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
So if I want the 25mi/hour I have to buy the $500 wall appliance? What does that do that the cord and internal charger in the truck not generate on their own? I was kind of thinking the wall charger was just a gimmicky thing that allowed you to use the app to control / status things.
So most people have the wall appliance included in their order? Tesla doesn't need the big dumb wall appliance to get a faster charge. Weird.
You could get another brand, but $500 is a pretty decent deal for a "smart" evse. The Tesla portable connector has the same limitation of 32 amps (ie 16 mph w the rivian). They also have a wall mounted box that allows for more than 32 amps of charge speed. This is driven by building code regulations stipulating the max power you can draw without being hardwired.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Man all of these fancy calculations and talking about Fiats and Bolts...

..but could some just please tell me whether I need to purchase the $500 wall charging appliance in order to charge at the higher rate? My Model 3 just needs the [included] cord with the NEMA adapter. Rivian isn't telling us what the heck is included but is pushing the purchase of the wall appliance.
Do I need it if I have a NEMA 1430 in the garage already for my Tesla?

So crazy how many threads I've scoured with all of these fancy calculations but no one just simply answers that question :)

Thanks fellas (and womens)
If you have a nema 14/30 that is only a 30 amp outlet, you can only charge at 24 amps (80% of the 30 for sustained loads) which is 5.8 kw which on a Rivian would be about 12 miles an hour.

To get 25 miles an hour you need a 60 amp circuit so you can charge at 11.5 kw.

The reason the model 3 is faster charging is it can travel a lot more miles on 1 kw than Rivian can.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
So most people have the wall appliance included in their order? Tesla doesn't need the big dumb wall appliance to get a faster charge. Weird.
This is completely wrong. Tesla does need the "big dumb wall appliance" to get the fastest L2 charge rate. The Tesla portable charger is 32A (7.6kW) just like the Rivian portable charger. To get the highest charge rate, you need a hard-wired 48A wall unit. That is true for both Rivian and for Tesla. At least Rivian is nice enough to include the adapter for a 14-50 plug with the car. With Tesla you only get the 5-15 plug.

Edit to add: I'm not sure what you think Rivian isn't telling us about the L2 charging situation. It's all pretty clearly spelled out on this page: https://rivian.com/experience/charging Yes, for some details, you might have to click on one of the "See why" links and read the info in the popup, but charging rates and adapter information are all there.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
My Model 3 just needs the [included] cord with the NEMA adapter. Rivian isn't telling us what the heck is included but is pushing the purchase of the wall appliance.
Do I need it if I have a NEMA 1430 in the garage already for my Tesla?

So crazy how many threads I've scoured with all of these fancy calculations but no one just simply answers that question :)
The Tesla mobile charger currently comes only with the 5-15 (15 or 20A 120V circuit) adapter.
Tesla sells a variety of adapters for many different circuit types (including the 14-30). These are "smart" adapters that change the amperage of the cord based on the outlet/circuit it is connected to.

The Rivian comes with a 14-50 (40 or 50A 240V circuit) and 5-15. You will not be able to use the Rivian supplied cord with your 14-30 outlet. If you bought a 3rd party adapter (14-50 to 14-30) The Rivan adapter would still assume it was on a 40A circuit and draw 32A. No bueno.

There are 24A EVSE you can buy and use on your 14-30, or you could buy a "Tesla Tap" (or similar) and charge your Rivian from your Tesla cord. If you get the $500 Rivian wall charger, you will need to ditch the outlet and hardwire the EVSE, the set it to the lower current your 30A circuit can supply. You will get ~12 miles per hour from a 24A EVSE (any brand or style).

TheSasquatch

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
IT Consulting
That's really helpful. Thanks guys. I feel lazy because you guys have this all in your head. I own an IT company for a living AND still don't have the capacity to keep these amperage figures and what it translates into charging / miles-wise. So i really do appreciate the patience and responses. I misspoke as I DO have a 14-50 (not 14-30 sorry).
but I honestly had never known that the Tesla wall appliance provided 48a and I wasn't going at the fastest rate possible at home. Geez. And this is my second tesla. I can own my ignorance I suppose :)
So I should probably keep the 48a wall unit and then upgrade my circuit in the utility room to a 60a? So i would need the 60a circuit in order to even use the 48a wall unit?
See.. you respond to an idiot and it's like the old "if you give a mouse a cookie" ordeal. ;)

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That's really helpful. Thanks guys. I feel lazy because you guys have this all in your head. I own an IT company for a living AND still don't have the capacity to keep these amperage figures and what it translates into charging / miles-wise. So i really do appreciate the patience and responses. I misspoke as I DO have a 14-50 (not 14-30 sorry).
but I honestly had never known that the Tesla wall appliance provided 48a and I wasn't going at the fastest rate possible at home. Geez. And this is my second tesla. I can own my ignorance I suppose :)
So I should probably keep the 48a wall unit and then upgrade my circuit in the utility room to a 60a? So i would need the 60a circuit in order to even use the 48a wall unit?
See.. you respond to an idiot and it's like the old "if you give a mouse a cookie" ordeal. ;)
yes to get the highest rate but if you have a nema 14/50, that is a 50 amp circuit, you can charge at 40 amps on that with a 40 amp charger and get close to 21 miles an hour on a Rivian.

edit: @DucRider is correct, you need to make sure that is a 5-0 amp circuit see his post below.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
3rd party EVSEs can draw 40A from your 14-50, if it is installed on a 50A circuit (you'll need to look at the breaker as the 14-50 is also used on 40A circuits).
The Gen 1 Tesla mobile charger pulled 40A when using the 14-50 adapter, The Gen 2, like the Rivian, pulls 32A (since it could be on a 40A circuit).

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
The Tesla mobile charger currently comes only with the 5-15 (15 or 20A 120V circuit) adapter.
Tesla sells a variety of adapters for many different circuit types (including the 14-30). These are "smart" adapters that change the amperage of the cord based on the outlet/circuit it is connected to.

The Rivian comes with a 14-50 (40 or 50A 240V circuit) and 5-15. You will not be able to use the Rivian supplied cord with your 14-30 outlet. If you bought a 3rd party adapter (14-50 to 14-30) The Rivan adapter would still assume it was on a 40A circuit and draw 32A. No bueno.

There are 24A EVSE you can buy and use on your 14-30, or you could buy a "Tesla Tap" (or similar) and charge your Rivian from your Tesla cord. If you get the $500 Rivian wall charger, you will need to ditch the outlet and hardwire the EVSE, the set it to the lower current your 30A circuit can supply. You will get ~12 miles per hour from a 24A EVSE (any brand or style).
And if you need more power put into your garage so you can have a 60 Amp dedicated circuit, be prepared to pay some hefty prices. Just had that done myself as I only had 50 amps going to the garage

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
You seek a simple answer to a question that doesn't have one. There are dozens of ways to skin the charging cat. Assuming that you have a 14-50R receptacle installed on a 50A circuit (check this - breaker size and wire size (must be No. 6) you can
1)Use the "charger" that comes with the truck and charge at 32A
2)Use the UMC from your Tesla with a Tesla Tap and charge at 32A
3)Obtain a Tesla "Corded Mobile Connector" and use it with a TeslaTap to charge at 40A
4)Remove the 14-50R and install either a Tesla HPWC or the Rivian EVSE commissioned to the appropriate level for the wire size (and temperature rating). Using the TeslaTap or Tesla J1772 adapter you will be able to charge either at up to 48A (if the wire is rated 75 °C) or 40A if it isn't.
5)Obtain any of a dozen third party 40A plug equipped EVSE, mount to the wall and charge either vehicle at 40A (using the Tesla J1772 adapter).

Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
You seek a simple answer to a question that doesn't have one. There are dozens of ways to skin the charging cat. Assuming that you have a 14-50R receptacle installed on a 50A circuit (check this - breaker size and wire size (must be No. 6) you can
1)Use the "charger" that comes with the truck and charge at 32A
2)Use the UMC from your Tesla with a Tesla Tap and charge at 32A
3)Obtain a Tesla "Corded Mobile Connector" and use it with a TeslaTap to charge at 40A
4)Remove the 14-50R and install either a Tesla HPWC or the Rivian EVSE commissioned to the appropriate level for the wire size (and temperature rating). Using the TeslaTap or Tesla J1772 adapter you will be able to charge either at up to 48A (if the wire is rated 75 °C) or 40A if it isn't.
5)Obtain any of a dozen third party 40A plug equipped EVSE, mount to the wall and charge either vehicle at 40A (using the Tesla J1772 adapter).
The part I italicized, assuming a 240V feed, is I think the most important: if you have another place you want to charge from, the plug version (40A) may be better than the hardwire (48A).

I am planning to go with plug; I did the math and A-man jumped in there. I think it is a reasonable amount per hour, more than enough for commuting range overnight, and a long trip (90-100 pc) you may have to charge it for like 1.5 days.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I am planning to go with plug; I did the math and A-man jumped in there. I think it is a reasonable amount per hour, more than enough for commuting range overnight, and a long trip (90-100 pc) you may have to charge it for like 1.5 days.
Nothing wrong with that option. I use it in my summer place (and often charge at less than 48A at home too). Yesterday I charged from 37% to 90% (by accident - forgot to set max to my more usual 65 - 70%) in 5:50 @ 40A. Rivian Large would take about 35% longer (7:52) and Rivian Max 80% longer (10:30).

TheSasquatch

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consulting
Thanks much fellas. Very much appreciated and much more useful than the calculations mumbo-jumbo I've been sorting through. The "basics" talk of whether to purchase the wall EVSE or just use plug adapters with the right circuit I feel is FAR more pertinent to 90% of the people reading this thread. (OK, maybe just at least to me it is :) )

TheSasquatch

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consulting
I've been reading that - if utilizing a Tesla Tap - I could charge the Rivian at a Tesla charger at nearly the same speed it would charge the Tesla?
If this is the case, why the heck would I NOT just get a Tesla Tap and keep it in my truck? I could then charge at 40a at home and use Tesla network wherever I go as well? Seems like a much more viable solution than any other setup for home..

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I've been reading that - if utilizing a Tesla Tap - I could charge the Rivian at a Tesla charger at nearly the same speed it would charge the Tesla?
If this is the case, why the heck would I NOT just get a Tesla Tap and keep it in my truck? I could then charge at 40a at home and use Tesla network wherever I go as well? Seems like a much more viable solution than any other setup for home..
Tesla tap is only for L2 chargers, it does not work on the super charger networks and has a 40 amp charge limit.
Sponsored