Dear Rivian...R1T WISHLIST BELOW

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Self leveling button to level the vehicle for camping or dirt bike loading etc.

Compass and altimeter

.gpx import for loading tracks and routes
Sponsored

OP
OP
Riviandog

Riviandog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model s , model y
Occupation
RF Engineer
T

Compass and altimeter

I believe self-leveling already exists, but to what degree in terms in on-demand leveling? However, those are some great ideas!!

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
That would be a game changer. However. ,based on this mornings news about Elon griping more about Rivians alleged poaching of Tesla employees and technology, it might be less likely to happen.
Tesla has publicly stated in investor calls that they plan to open the supercharger network this year. I think with the existing payment handshake standards that Rivian supports, and probably a $500+ Tesla-to-CCS adapter, this should be covered, although I fully expect it to take longer than announced.

Assuming this comes to pass, I hope Rivian takes supercharger overlap into account when planning the RAN rollout; the current map has a ton of overlap with Superchargers, I'd love for them to aggressively prioritize places the supercharger network doesn't cover. (In Washington, the entire north central and northeast part of the state are supercharger wastelands - a lot of North Cascades overlanding or road trips to e.g. Winthrop are a lot harder than they should be. Chargers in Chelan, Winthrop/Mazama, and Newhalem would go a long way. Plus Morton/Packwood to open up the Rainier/Adams area and maybe Chewelah or Colville for Spokane to Canada if I'm dreaming. And pop some L2s at Baker and Crystal. OK, I'm getting greedy...

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Access to the Tesla Supercharger network
I think the only thing that's going to make that happen is a new federal rule either requiring CCS for all new EVs sold in the US or a new rule (or massive subsidy) related to new charging stations.

Elon's previous comments about the network being opened up were almost certainly just talking about Europe, where Tesla is already forced to use the same charging port as everyone else.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Riviandog

Riviandog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model s , model y
Occupation
RF Engineer
Tesla has publicly stated in investor calls that they plan to open the supercharger network this year. I think with the existing payment handshake standards that Rivian supports, and probably a $500+ Tesla-to-CCS adapter, this should be covered, although I fully expect it to take longer than announced.

Assuming this comes to pass, I hope Rivian takes supercharger overlap into account when planning the RAN rollout; the current map has a ton of overlap with Superchargers, I'd love for them to aggressively prioritize places the supercharger network doesn't cover. (In Washington, the entire north central and northeast part of the state are supercharger wastelands - a lot of North Cascades overlanding or road trips to e.g. Winthrop are a lot harder than they should be. Chargers in Chelan, Winthrop/Mazama, and Newhalem would go a long way. Plus Morton/Packwood to open up the Rainier/Adams area and maybe Chewelah or Colville for Spokane to Canada if I'm dreaming. And pop some L2s at Baker and Crystal. OK, I'm getting greedy...
I saw the first Tesla SCs come up in Socal and was ecstatic at how it changed the value of EV ownership. Here's to the RAN deployment as you have described which makes sense if they piggy back off of Tesla's existing/planned SC rollouts.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I think the only thing that's going to make that happen is a new federal rule either requiring CCS for all new EVs sold in the US or a new rule (or massive subsidy) related to new charging stations.

Elon's previous comments about the network being opened up were almost certainly just talking about Europe, where Tesla is already forced to use the same charging port as everyone else.
There is a lot of infrastructure bill money coming to subsidize new stations but they have to be compatible with multiple vendors. Tesla selling an adapter to claim some of that money is an easy trade. The supercharger network is also only a few years out from being a strategy tax instead of a differentiator; they need to pivot before that happens.

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
360/Birds-eye view camera system (maybe coming already)
Rear window rolldown like the Tundra/4Runner
Powered extending/folding running boards
Apple Carplay/AA
Dog mode
Winter tire package/or rim downsize for aftermarket options
I just got off the phone with customer service. Confirmed 100% that there will be dog mode. It will be a software update, but I was told that the timing of the update is unknown.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

The federal funding for charging networks is not open to those open to a single brand. I personally think this is a primary motivator for Tesla to "open" their SC network. By allowing even a single other manufacturer access, they get access to a bunch of money to expand.
My prediction - they will open to Aptera (some photos indicate they use the Tesla connector) and any other manufacturer that wants to participate will find it comes with a very, very stiff "entry fee".
Tesla never stated they would open to all other manufacturers, and to get access to the infrastructure funds, they only need to allow one other.

hkb26

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5
Clubs

That would be a game changer. However. ,based on this mornings news about Elon griping more about Rivians alleged poaching of Tesla employees and technology, it might be less likely to happen.
Link?

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Compass and altimeter

It supposedly levels automagically when parked. That’s what customer service told me anyway.

compasx it will already have, I wouldn’t be surprised if it already has an altimeter too, albeit a gps one.

Mapbox can do GPX, perhaps Rivian will have that ability. Makes sense given intended market.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I'd like to see paddle-shifters on the steering column - not for "gear changes" obviously. Rather for increasing & reducing the REGEN braking level. Had this on two hybrids and feel its useful and engaging in certain traffic situations. My understanding is that Regen level is set through the center console menu. That's nothing close to real-time or real useful.

I expect the avid 1-pedal drivers to say set it to max and forget about it. I like the ease of altering the vehicle dynamics with the flick of a finger (not the middle one).

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
GPS must solve for x, y, z and t. It therefore has altitude information.
Yes. I pointed that out specifically because it’s unlikely to be a standalone barometric one like an airplane ?