First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
No, not with 31 SV's. GLONASS, RAIM.....
Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
New poster here. Made my pre-order September 24, 2021. I was thrilled to see I can be part of the IPO, as I made it just under the wire!

I'm in awe of so many of you who have waited years for these vehicles to become a reality. You should pat yourselves on the back for seeing the value here so long before the rest of the world.

I'm glad you get a launch edition to pay you back a little for your commitment to this company and its vision. Those vehicles are long gone. I think I'm order # 48,000 if I did my math correctly. Got a little wait ahead of me.

Regarding people's wish list...

• CarPlay/AndroidAuto — I'll bet dollars to donuts that you get your wish. But I'll also bet it'll cost you. Amazon is calling the shots on in-vehicle media. They're not going to provide a competitor's product for free. I'd expect this integration to be part of a larger convenience package with monthly fees.

• Rear Window Opening — I was bummed to realize the back window doesn't open. When I've had people in the back helping with truck things, it's been nice to open to hear what they're saying. Plus the dog likes the air. Plus it helps with ventilation.

• Sunroof/Dimmable Glass — I was also surprised to learn that the roof is not only all-glass, but it's not closable, and it's not openable. My current vehicle has a sunroof with a panel that closes it. Sometimes I like the light coming in from above. More often I don't like the light coming in from above. Sometimes I like the wind. Sometimes not. It's sort of inconceivable that there are no options for the entire ceiling of the vehicle to be adapted. Not a game-ender, but ponderous and unpleasant.

• 360* Eagle-Eye View — I have this on my current vehicle and it is essential in my book. The technology has been around for at least 15 years in vehicles, so it can't be that difficult. Perhaps there is IP to skirt around or negotiate access to? In any case, I can't imagine the Rivian would be unable to do this. I fully expect it will be added as a view option in some future update/subscription.
For other unmentioned Wishes:
  • Liftgate Cage/Backstop — Years ago I had a D-shaped cage in my truck which swiveled on a hinge. The D pointed inward toward the bed with the lift gate closed. When I opened the lift gate the D could be lifted toward the air and then placed on the lift gate so the D was pointing out the back of the truck. It was part of the bed extender which allowed a backstop in the bed if you wanted to keep things from sliding right off onto the road on your longer bed. This was an inelegant solution, but I could imagine three or four bars rising from the flattened lift gate into the air (like they would be embedded in the lift gate and when it was flat you could pop out one side to click into a vertical position.) Lots of words here. Hope that makes sense.

• Front Accessible Frunk — I like how the F-150 Lightening has the front of the vehicle integrated with the hood. That allows the Frunk to have a front access. The Rivian has a really high rise to lift over to put anything in the trunk. On the plus side, some reviewers said the wide lip was good for putting coffee mugs on. Perhaps it's good to sit on? If so I'm cool with it. I love sitting on my truck.

• Hand-Adjustable Air Vents — I keep wondering if you can just push your fingers through the air vents and push them in the direction you want. In my imagination the vehicle would track where you put them and be fine with the manual adjustment. Perhaps Alexa will be super smart in this regard? I could imagine saying, "Alexa, more air on my face." And it adjusts. Or "Alexa, track the air to my hand." And the in-car sensors and cameras find your hand and adjust the vents. That would be cool.

• Not too much Subscription — Finally, I hope the Rivian doesn't turn into a subscription hungry monster where I'm nickel and dimed for every last thing. A cool thing about OTA updates is that your vehicle can get better. I can get behind paying for these after some point (5 years? 7 years?) But I'm really hoping subscriptions for my car won't get out of control. Like "800V charging? $50/month, PLUS CarPlay? $7/month, PLUS Ultra-smooth Handling Upgrade? $12/month" Etc. Surely these would be grouped into packages, and I get that it's a new feature so why should it be free? But it doesn't feel good to be anticipating resisting the company's attempts to continually monetize me. So I hope they stay cool and keep things delightful and reasonable.

Now back to playing with the Configurator to change my R1T one more time. Why are Rivian Yellow and Canyon Red suddenly so compelling?

Last edited:

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The federal funding for charging networks is not open to those open to a single brand. I personally think this is a primary motivator for Tesla to "open" their SC network. By allowing even a single other manufacturer access, they get access to a bunch of money to expand.
My prediction - they will open to Aptera (some photos indicate they use the Tesla connector) and any other manufacturer that wants to participate will find it comes with a very, very stiff "entry fee".
Tesla never stated they would open to all other manufacturers, and to get access to the infrastructure funds, they only need to allow one other.
If the infrastructure bill passes, and if it includes the charging infrastructure subsidies as they were written a couple months ago, DOT will have to write a regulation that spells out the detailed requirements for subsidy eligibility. I would be genuinely shocked if they don’t specify compatibility with J1772 and CCS Combo as a requirement.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

1. CarPlay (or at the bar minimum, maps that update for free and are on par with google maps, apple music integration, voice to text integration)
2. Physical buttons to control temperature and physical controls to position vents
3. Paddle shifters to change regen level (from fully off to max)
4. 20in tire option with nearly the same efficiency as the 21s (not a fan of the oddball 21 in size)
5. Released details on monthly membership costs and what not paying that membership causes you to lose.
6. Sunshade for the sunroof
7. more data! trip history with distance and consumption data

and two bonus R1S requests:
- Full Size Spare
- released data on the max pack

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Riviandog

Riviandog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model s , model y
Occupation
RF Engineer
New poster here. Made my pre-order September 24, 2021. I was thrilled to see I can be part of the IPO, as I made it just under the wire!

I'm in awe of so many of you who have waited years for these vehicles to become a reality. You should pat yourselves on the back for seeing the value here so long before the rest of the world.

I'm glad you get a launch edition to pay you back a little for your commitment to this company and its vision. Those vehicles are long gone. I think I'm order # 48,000 if I did my math correctly. Got a little wait ahead of me.

Regarding people's wish list...

• CarPlay/AndroidAuto — I'll bet dollars to donuts that you get your wish. But I'll also bet it'll cost you. Amazon is calling the shots on in-vehicle media. They're not going to provide a competitor's product for free. I'd expect this integration to be part of a larger convenience package with monthly fees.

• Rear Window Opening — I was bummed to realize the back window doesn't open. When I've had people in the back helping with truck things, it's been nice to open to hear what they're saying. Plus the dog likes the air. Plus it helps with ventilation.

• Sunroof/Dimmable Glass — I was also surprised to learn that the roof is not only all-glass, but it's not closable, and it's not openable. My current vehicle has a sunroof with a panel that closes it. Sometimes I like the light coming in from above. More often I don't like the light coming in from above. Sometimes I like the wind. Sometimes not. It's sort of inconceivable that there are no options for the entire ceiling of the vehicle to be adapted. Not a game-ender, but ponderous and unpleasant.

• 360* Eagle-Eye View — I have this on my current vehicle and it is essential in my book. The technology has been around for at least 15 years in vehicles, so it can't be that difficult. Perhaps there is IP to skirt around or negotiate access to? In any case, I can't imagine the Rivian would be unable to do this. I fully expect it will be added as a view option in some future update/subscription.
For other unmentioned Wishes:
  • Liftgate Cage/Backstop — Years ago I had a D-shaped cage in my truck which swiveled on a hinge. The D pointed inward toward the bed with the lift gate closed. When I opened the lift gate the D could be lifted toward the air and then placed on the lift gate so the D was pointing out the back of the truck. It was part of the bed extender which allowed a backstop in the bed if you wanted to keep things from sliding right off onto the road on your longer bed. This was an inelegant solution, but I could imagine three or four bars rising from the flattened lift gate into the air (like they would be embedded in the lift gate and when it was flat you could pop out one side to click into a vertical position.) Lots of words here. Hope that makes sense.

• Front Accessible Frunk — I like how the F-150 Lightening has the front of the vehicle integrated with the hood. That allows the Frunk to have a front access. The Rivian has a really high rise to lift over to put anything in the trunk. On the plus side, some reviewers said the wide lip was good for putting coffee mugs on. Perhaps it's good to sit on? If so I'm cool with it. I love sitting on my truck.

• Hand-Adjustable Air Vents — I keep wondering if you can just push your fingers through the air vents and push them in the direction you want. In my imagination the vehicle would track where you put them and be fine with the manual adjustment. Perhaps Alexa will be super smart in this regard? I could imagine saying, "Alexa, more air on my face." And it adjusts. Or "Alexa, track the air to my hand." And the in-car sensors and cameras find your hand and adjust the vents. That would be cool.

• Not too much Subscription — Finally, I hope the Rivian doesn't turn into a subscription hungry monster where I'm nickel and dimed for every last thing. A cool thing about OTA updates is that your vehicle can get better. I can get behind paying for these after some point (5 years? 7 years?) But I'm really hoping subscriptions for my car won't get out of control. Like "800V charging? $50/month, PLUS CarPlay? $7/month, PLUS Ultra-smooth Handling Upgrade? $12/month" Etc. Surely these would be grouped into packages, and I get that it's a new feature so why should it be free? But it doesn't feel good to be anticipating resisting the company's attempts to continually monetize me. So I hope they stay cool and keep things delightful and reasonable.

Now back to playing with the Configurator to change my R1T one more time. Why are Rivian Yellow and Canyon Red suddenly so compelling?
Nice summary!!

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 2022 Ford Lightning, Daiharsu Mira, Ranger
Clubs

Was thinking of a fridge that rides on top of the gear tunnel shuttle, modular and portable.
i was thinking of doing this too, even just buying an off the shelf one that fits, but then I though about it being a sealed compartment. The heat has to have somewhere to go. Perhaps if the small access door from the tunnel to the rear seat arm rest were open that would provide some way for heat to escape.

OP
OP
Riviandog

Riviandog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model s , model y
Occupation
RF Engineer
1. CarPlay (or at the bar minimum, maps that update for free and are on par with google maps, apple music integration, voice to text integration)
2. Physical buttons to control temperature and physical controls to position vents
3. Paddle shifters to change regen level (from fully off to max)
4. 20in tire option with nearly the same efficiency as the 21s (not a fan of the oddball 21 in size)
5. Released details on monthly membership costs and what not paying that membership causes you to lose.
6. Sunshade for the sunroof
7. more data! trip history with distance and consumption data

and two bonus R1S requests:
- Full Size Spare
- released data on the max pack
The subscription part is going to be a sour topic or alot I imagine. I too want to know what is the STATIC product I can expect with No subscriptions.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Carplay is gonna have to be a must for me. Give me a 900HP+ truck and I’m going to need Waze so I know where the cops are hiding.

Sponsored

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 2022 Ford Lightning, Daiharsu Mira, Ranger
Clubs

I would like to see a larger watt output for the onboard 120v outlets. The Ford Lightening seems to be the king of this area. I don't need that much, but it would be nice to have more than 1,500 watts.

OP
OP
Riviandog

Riviandog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model s , model y
Occupation
RF Engineer
17 or 18" wheels for off roading. Yes, the brake calipers would need to be smaller but I'm not exactly looking to race down Argentine Pass. I want more tire sidewall for off roading. Also, ditch the Pirellis and give us a proven AT tire like BFG K02s, or Falken Wildpeaks.
Bloomberg article talks about her flat, another SIDEWALL
SWIPE. I'm not an experienced off-roader, yet, so can't tell if this is that common or are the Pirelli Scorpions just not well suited. See link..https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-28/rivian-r1t-review-electric-ingenuity-but-don-t-depend-on-it-for-work?srnd=hyperdrive

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Bloomberg article talks about her flat, another SIDEWALL
SWIPE. I'm not an experienced off-roader, yet, so can't tell if this is that common or are the Pirelli Scorpions just not well suited. See link..https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-28/rivian-r1t-review-electric-ingenuity-but-don-t-depend-on-it-for-work?srnd=hyperdrive
Yea, I saw the article. The other person with a flat had a camera on the tire and he clearly swiped the rock. That said, I'm not sure it would have resulted in a puncture on my Falkens. Seriously, that's an easy trail they were on. I've done it many times myself.

One concern of the Scorpion is that I read it was adapted from a Pirelli all season tire. However that tire was also engineered for longer range. So going to something like a Falken is going to have a very negative impact. Here is Pirelli's own write up on the tire.
https://www.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/road/pirelli-tires-tailor-made-for-rivian

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'm thinking R1S in my case, but I can see R1T guys wanting some function back there too. I think most would be willing to lose the gear tunnel access inside the cab, but would rather have the gear tunnel over the operable rear window.
Or you lose the power tonneau cover. I’d be happy with a power slider like the high end Honda Ridgeline has.
Sponsored