Sponsored

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Glad to see they have top tethers for forward facing child seats (some other pickups don’t). I’m gonna have two in the back.

I’ve never seen such a complicated way to engage child locks - has anyone else? Strange this isn’t just software driven. Maybe it will be eventually.

DAEF158F-D2B0-44FA-A3A7-C94F84074F5B.png
I haven't seen a new car with manual child lock in maybe 10 years. This was disappointing, but obviously not a deal breaker.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
In which case the vehicle will stop at the adjusted "0%" and either need a tow to a charge station, or push a button to open the bottom of the battery?
I've been pondering that too. It obviously isn't going to stop, these chargers profiles could cause some fun confusion either way. I'm really curious to see how they are actually implemented, and why they were relegated to about 3 sentences in the owners manual.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure where the disconnect it. I was responding to a question about the charging settings. It is my belief that when you set car to charge to a limit of 75% that it allows the car to charge until the battery voltage is 3/4 of the way between Vempty and Vfull. The manufacturer can, of course, change those voltages OTA or adaptively from day to day but I don't think they are likely to do so. Tesla has done that and it has lead to law suits.

The manufacturer will, however, guide us towards behaviors that extend battery life such as recommending avoidance of DC fast charging, warning us that we have charged to over 90% three days in a row, putting a "best for battery life" notation to the "daily" preset, highligting the 10 to 20% SoC range in yellow and the 0 - 10% range in red on displays and so on.

Put another way they make a certain part of the battery available when they choose Vempty (0% SoC) and Vfull (100% SoC) but in addition they advise us about the best parts of that range to operate in.
Thought you were implying they couldn't force temporarily larger "lower buffer" by software. Which didn't make sense. Hence the confusion. ?

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Really? I've never seen one that's not manual. And I have several newer vehicles.
I think it depends on how the door locks interact with the actual door handle/opening mechanism. Obviously, electronically-actuated doors can be digitally overridden. For door handles with a physical connection, it probably comes down to the lock. Some cars allow you to pull the handle when locked and it automatically unlocks and opens, while others won't do anything when you pull the handle while it's locked.
I'm the same, I've only ever seen manual locks, but I've only had five cars 2013 or newer.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Well, this is interesting. Rear seat storage is a ‘go’ - just left out of the manual. But ‘tow charging’ not so much. I had thought in the boonies as a last resort it might be an option. Oh well.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? 7578a182-e877-4fec-8076-965dcbb399cf

Hello David,

I hope you are having a good morning. Thank you for your Launch edition R1T preorder and for reaching out to the Rivian team with your question. The LA Silver and Black Mountain color combination look sharp!

I’m sorry the manual omitted the storage space in the rear seat. You will have 3.4 cubic feet of storage space under the seats, and you will also be able to access the cargo tunnel when the armrest is in the down position.

Have a great rest of your week!

Your fellow adventurer,
Rodney
8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT - M-F
Closed - Sa-Su

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? 6035b536-4120-408a-963b-56767c186357
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? 1e3c7537-25a7-4293-89a0-94e09b4fbfeb
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? f71ae74a-4a3d-4473-a70e-9f4167efdb8e
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? 75b5721e-4129-4915-92f1-93a7ed1166a6
Please add [email protected] to your contacts.
If you have a question, you can reach us here.
Copyright © 2021 Rivian, All rights reserved.15770 Laguna Canyon Rd #100 Irvine, CA 92618 USA

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 9/24/2021, 9:01 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Rear seat storage bin

Hi. No mention of the rear seat storage bin in the newly released R1T owners manual. Status? I had plans for that space.
__________________________________________________________________ CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This electronic message (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and proprietary. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is strictly prohibited. If you received this electronic message in error, please immediately reply to the sender that you have received this communication and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Although Rivian has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, Rivian accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? 75b5721e-4129-4915-92f1-93a7ed1166a6

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? 7578a182-e877-4fec-8076-965dcbb399cf

Hello David,

I hope you are having a good morning. Thank you for your Launch edition R1T preorder and for reaching out to the Rivian team with your question.
Your choice of LA Silver with Black Mountain is a sharp-looking combination.

You are correct, our R1T manual discourages tow charging. Our engineers have determined it could damage both vehicles. If you ever find yourself out of battery power, please contact our mobile service to assist.

Have a great rest of your week!

Your fellow adventurer,
Rodney
8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT - M-F
Closed - Sa-Su

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? 6035b536-4120-408a-963b-56767c186357
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? 1e3c7537-25a7-4293-89a0-94e09b4fbfeb
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? f71ae74a-4a3d-4473-a70e-9f4167efdb8e
Please add [email protected] to your contacts.
If you have a question, you can reach us here.
Copyright © 2021 Rivian, All rights reserved.15770 Laguna Canyon Rd #100 Irvine, CA 92618 USA

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 9/24/2021, 8:59 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Tow charging

So, as per the owners manual, tow charging is no longer a recovery method in a pinch if you run out of juice?
__________________________________________________________________ CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This electronic message (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and proprietary. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is strictly prohibited. If you received this electronic message in error, please immediately reply to the sender that you have received this communication and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Although Rivian has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, Rivian accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sponsored

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Regarding towing: So the only approved method is a flatbed. No flat towing, no tow-charging. Would someone going to the demo drive this week please ask — so, what exactly are the front tow hooks for? Just for flatbed winching? Otherwise just decorative? Enlighten me.

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
I didn't see anything in the manual either about this. Would be nice, and likely could be pushed via OTA if not included at delivery, if on Rivian's short list.

That said, as someone who grew up in the city I kinda enjoy giving a master class in parallel parking when I go out. When I have a shiny new Rivian everyone will assume it's the car software and not me ?
Haha, I love this as well, the geek in me likes to see how the car will do it too though. For the driver assistance tech in my car I almost make a game out of it to see its limitations and response times. So far, I have been impressed with what it's been able to do in the SF city streets, but there are also many times where I end up thinking, I could have done that quicker or with less corrections.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Regarding towing: So the only approved method is a flatbed. No flat towing, no tow-charging. Would someone going to the demo drive this week please ask — so, what exactly are the front tow hooks for? Just for flatbed winching? Otherwise just decorative? Enlighten me.
Recovery points when you or someone off-roading with gets into an unfavorable spot they are unable to drive out of.

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Recovery points when you or someone off-roading with gets into an unfavorable spot they are unable to drive out of.
True, I get your point. Hope that’s an approved use though — seems like they’re being awfully conservative otherwise.