Sponsored

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I’m not following. I’m just suggesting that they may be playing some pretty basic software presentation games to keep users in the 20-80% range to maintain battery health rather than 0-60%. The latter seems like a pretty odd portion of the battery pack to sit people in for daily use. Does Rivian really want to encourage people going down into the very bottom of the pack frequently? I doubt it. Should Be easy to figure out what it’s doing once people play Around with then profiles.
IIRC Rivian explicitly said that their goal was to have an experience where users wouldn't even need to be aware of the battery management necessary to extend battery life, let alone actively perform those actions.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
IIRC Rivian explicitly said that their goal was to have an experience where users wouldn't even need to be aware of the battery management necessary to extend battery life, let alone actively perform those actions.
Right. Which is why I suspect that's what the commute profile or whatever they call it may be managing both top and bottom.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Well. Guess I won't be putting my phone in the seat storage...

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? Screenshot_20210927-003028_Word

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Right. Which is why I suspect that's what the commute profile or whatever they call it may be managing both top and bottom.
In which case the vehicle will stop at the adjusted "0%" and either need a tow to a charge station, or push a button to open the bottom of the battery?

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Trailer sway control is a pretty standard feature these days on cars equipped to tow from the factory. It normally applies only the left or right brake on the vehicle to try to straighten out the trailer.
Yes but now we can independently control the thrust from each of the four wheels (or the computers can). They ought to be able to develop some pretty sophisticated anti sway algorithms - much more sophisticated that what's doable with differential braking.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Yes but now we can independently control the thrust from each of the four wheels (or the computers can). They ought to be able to develop some pretty sophisticated anti sway algorithms - much more sophisticated that what's doable with differential braking.
All around, I'm most excited by what can be done with four motors and precise power control. It's amazing what auto companies have done with independent braking control at each corner in terms of traction control, stability control, etc. Being able to apply power to one wheel while braking another should be a hoot if the engineers (and lawyers) allow us to have any fun.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Being able to apply power to one wheel while braking another should be a hoot if the engineers (and lawyers) allow us to have any fun.
You can do that today in an ICE vehicle. What the Rivian will allow is application of forward power to some wheels and reverse power to others.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I’m not following. I’m just suggesting that they may be playing some pretty basic software presentation games to keep users in the 20-80% range to maintain battery health rather than 0-60%.
Not sure where the disconnect it. I was responding to a question about the charging settings. It is my belief that when you set car to charge to a limit of 75% that it allows the car to charge until the battery voltage is 3/4 of the way between Vempty and Vfull. The manufacturer can, of course, change those voltages OTA or adaptively from day to day but I don't think they are likely to do so. Tesla has done that and it has lead to law suits.

The manufacturer will, however, guide us towards behaviors that extend battery life such as recommending avoidance of DC fast charging, warning us that we have charged to over 90% three days in a row, putting a "best for battery life" notation to the "daily" preset, highligting the 10 to 20% SoC range in yellow and the 0 - 10% range in red on displays and so on.

Put another way they make a certain part of the battery available when they choose Vempty (0% SoC) and Vfull (100% SoC) but in addition they advise us about the best parts of that range to operate in.

buddha2lotus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model s
Occupation
physician
While we are on the subject of braking, as an ICE only driver, can someone tell me if brake pad wear is less on an EV vs. on a similar sized/weight automatic transmission ICE, or similar, or greater? Also, is there any difference in brake pad wear between the two regen modes?
For my case, my Model S is almost 6 years old and brake pads still good as new because of regen. I admit that initially the experience was somewhat odd because of the instant slowing when the gas pedal was lifted. But after a few days, it became second nature and then I realized how convenient it was. Now I don't want an electric car without this feature because it really saves on brake pads and it helps conserve the range a little bit.

Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
For my case, my Model S is almost 6 years old and brake pads still good as new because of regen. I admit that initially the experience was somewhat odd because of the instant slowing when the gas pedal was lifted. But after a few days, it became second nature and then I realized how convenient it was. Now I don't want an electric car without this feature because it really saves on brake pads and it helps conserve the range a little bit.
That’s fantastic! I lost track of the amount of money I spent on my Rover pads and rotors over that period of time. I started rebuilding them myself bc it was highway robbery every 14-16 months!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? Rivbat

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I'm going to have a problem with this well at least the accelerate moderately part.
Yes, yes you will and it is also going to cost you in the tires department but after a while you will learn restraint. OTOH, why not? Aren't you buying this thing to have some fun with it?
Sponsored