First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I did not see anything about the Driver+ in particular - it outlined adaptive cruise control and highway assist, but min speed is 20mph which means it won't work in traffic. Am I missing something? I have been used to Tesla autopilot so was hoping Driver+ would at least be similar...
You misread that, you can engage below minimum speed if there are cars in front of you. Those are also specs to engage not operating ranges.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? 41511FF5-40B4-422D-8BD2-5AED6427C058
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I never tried to stop the charging with the car locked as it unlocks when I walk up to it. I will try that next time. I know the car has to be unlocked to remove the handle (or adapter) from the socket.

This was more referencing having to stop the charging from the UI, you do not need to do that correct?
Correct.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Glad to see they have top tethers for forward facing child seats (some other pickups don’t). I’m gonna have two in the back.

I’ve never seen such a complicated way to engage child locks - has anyone else? Strange this isn’t just software driven. Maybe it will be eventually.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? DAEF158F-D2B0-44FA-A3A7-C94F84074F5B

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Also the portable charger instructions doesn't have a way to set the amperage draw, so you can't charge from a 30A dryer plug.

1.5 kW 120V plug was disappointing. The Ford F150 Lightning will be the king of extracting power with its 30A 240V receptacle and a whopping 17.2 kW of power through the charge port
We saw with MT that you can set the amperage in the car. Pretty typical.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Glad to see they have top tethers for forward facing child seats (some other pickups don’t). I’m gonna have two in the back.

I’ve never seen such a complicated way to engage child locks - has anyone else? Strange this isn’t just software driven. Maybe it will be eventually.

DAEF158F-D2B0-44FA-A3A7-C94F84074F5B.png
What in the world. Wonder why they did that. Waterproofing?

Sponsored

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

If they are using mechanical door release from inside the car then they wouldn't be able to be controlled electronically. Which would make sense why you need to make a physical change on the door itself.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I thought the Motor Trend guys and maybe also @DuckTruck mentioned there were about 4 regen settings, but according to the manual there are only 2 (high and standard)

brakes.png
At the time we drove the pre-production models, they did have four modes, although I believe one was similar to ICE machines. That's to say the least intrusive mode slowed the vehicle in such a way so as to mimic your "normal" experience, leaving three other modes of greater regen.

It may be down to two switchable modes, but I'd think that still allows a third standard mode as "normal". I think that even in that mode, when you lift your foot, you'll get some regen.

Time will tell.....

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Thank god they told us how to keep the car stopped. Never could get that right before!
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? F590875B-D7FB-47F9-B27E-2505C5746B10

Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Skimmed through most of the manual. Best news to me is the multitude of key options that come included: FOB, Keycard, wristband and phone key. I hope the phone key works well and I can just not carry keys most of the time.

Next best news was that gear guard records video and you can download it off the car. I wonder if you can have it wirelessly offload when on wifi.

Biggest disappointment is the regen breaking options. I personally prefer very low regen settings so I can coast (this is more efficient than regen) and then for blended breaking to allow me to choose when to engage regen by pressing the break gently. EDIT: Just read the "charging" section. It gets worse. The charging section implies that the break pedal just engages friction brakes, not regen. Not happy about this at all. My ID.4 has blended breaking and the ability to have very low regen when not pressing the pedals. I really like this setup and find it superior to the craze of one pedal driving systems. This is a big miss for me.

Biggest question is if the lane keep assist will keep you centered well outside of areas where Driver+ can be activated. It says you can activate it whenever there are clear lane markings. However on most cars lane keep assist only corrects when you get close to a lane line, which makes it very ping pingy. Lane centering is usually the term that is akin to Driver+. Not being able to use true lane centering on long two lane stretches of road will be a big drawback. I often drove up over Mt Hood and down to Bend from Portland. True lane centering + adaptive cruise control makes that much more pleasant.

Mild Annoyance: Daily, Extended and Trip charging options: I would prefer percentages as opposed to opaque settings.

Minor question: can i use the compressor to fill up my inflatable SUP :) Time to go adapter hunting.

Last edited:

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

DAEF158F-D2B0-44FA-A3A7-C94F84074F5B.png
Aside from the plug, this is the same mechanism I used to engage the child locks on my Land Rover. Open the door, turn the child lock with my key clockwise. I think my F150 was a lever that is flipped.

No idea why the plug is necessary, but I’m curious. The CL engagement on the Land Rover was very near the belt line of the car, well above the wading depth which is similar to the R1.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Aside from the plug, this is the same mechanism I used to engage the child locks on my Land Rover. Open the door, turn the child lock with my key clockwise. I think my F150 was a lever that is flipped.

No idea why the plug is necessary, but I’m curious. The CL engagement on the Land Rover was very near the belt line of the car, well above the wading depth which is similar to the R1.
I'm guessing for water fording protection.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I talked to CS this evening, they confirmed a key fob, key card, and wristband all are included, which is a nice surprise.
Would an NFC wristband need an FCC ID? Because it is not listed in the table at the end, which led me to believe a wristband was not included.
Sponsored