Sponsored

Anyone else have a disappointing delivery experience?

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I absolutely agree they do seem over their heads a little but the consensus seems to be they are growing and improving so let’s hope that continues. It sucks to have the SC have to fix these issues I know it’s not an easy task but as a customer it seems counterintuitive to buy something that I later have to get fixed. If the process is this bad from the beginning what does that say for my future with this company? I have to bring my car into this SC for repairs? Yikes. Perception is reality and they shouldn’t allow these vehicles to roll off their lots in these conditions.

For everyone who thinks I’m overreacting. Then why did they apologize and promise to make it right? If that was the case they would just give it to someone else.
You said in another thread that you’re trying to flip your R1S anyway. I’ll happily pay you what it cost for your horrible vehicle since I’m in the market and would love to save the $17k.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zeusy Zeus

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I too rejected the delivery of my first R1T. I did make some comments about the whole experience to all involved, though not similar to what you may have. I then waited to be matched with another "T" and am happy so far.

Not everyone is willing to take delivery, then make an appointment. Like I was not, and that is each individuals choice.

Is Rivian marketing the vehicle(s) as a luxury? No. Do many people consider it to be a luxury item? Yes.

Of course posting to a public forum opens you up to a wide variety of replies. So, "enjoy"..

Edit: Yes, the delivery process should be improved. Especially when the SC team does not see areas that are clearly marked, until brought to their attention. But first and more importantly, the build and Q.C. at the plant must improve.
Thank you for sharing your experience. How long did you have to wait after changing vins? Because right now they have my money and I have no vehicle and I probably won’t get any of that money back. Efic
I too rejected the delivery of my first R1T. I did make some comments about the whole experience to all involved, though not similar to what you may have. I then waited to be matched with another "T" and am happy so far.

Not everyone is willing to take delivery, then make an appointment. Like I was not, and that is each individuals choice.

Is Rivian marketing the vehicle(s) as a luxury? No. Do many people consider it to be a luxury item? Yes.

Of course posting to a public forum opens you up to a wide variety of replies. So, "enjoy"..

Edit: Yes, the delivery process should be improved. Especially when the SC team does not see areas that are clearly marked, until brought to their attention. But first and more importantly, the build and Q.C. at the plant must improve.
thanks for sharing your experience. How long did you have to wait? I take it they already had your money? I feel hostage at this point because they have my money and each day that goes by I’m paying for a vehicle I don’t currently have. Another thing that is also pushing me away from the brand. I don’t like knowing that they withdrew my money before I even received the vehicle. Very odd in my opinion.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I absolutely agree they do seem over their heads a little but the consensus seems to be they are growing and improving so let’s hope that continues. It sucks to have the SC have to fix these issues I know it’s not an easy task but as a customer it seems counterintuitive to buy something that I later have to get fixed. If the process is this bad from the beginning what does that say for my future with this company? I have to bring my car into this SC for repairs? Yikes. Perception is reality and they shouldn’t allow these vehicles to roll off their lots in these conditions.

For everyone who thinks I’m overreacting. Then why did they apologize and promise to make it right? If that was the case they would just give it to someone else.
They said that because it’s their job. No one here is saying that you didn’t have valid concerns that you shouldn’t ask to be fixed if they bother you (Except the water spots). Most are suggesting that your commentary around those relatively minor issues is exaggerated.

I would have also asked them to fix those issues, but not freaked out about my guide not responding ASAP and not posted a thread here as if my Rivian delivery was the worst ever in history. That is a bit ridiculous.

But you do you man.

OP
OP
Zeusy Zeus

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I have almost all of those issues in the exact same spots as OP.
I’ve been driving my R1T happily every day without a single complaint since delivery.
I did ask for some of them to be fixed (ie the gaps that seems to ultimately cause rain water related issues).

Yeah … the level of expectation the general public has in cars at this point is … diva like… to say the least.
Call me old fashioned, there should be a minimum standard and that definitely wasn’t reached.

OP
OP
Zeusy Zeus

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

IMO, this is baloney. My $26,000 Subaru Forester looked great when we picked it up. My Rivian delivery experience was similarly bad. Driver side lower door seal fell off when they opened the door, inside passenger A pillar trip was obviously out, to many panel misalignments to count, and, oh yea, tonneau cover already broken. I should have sent them home with it, but I had sold my F150 the day before. If you don't want cross shopped with Land Rover, BMW and Mercedes don't ask $90-100,000 for your vehicle. No way in hell the "adventure demand" can cover the Normal plant's 175,000 annual assembly capacity. Rivian knows they need to do better.

It isn't unrealistic to expect your vehicle to be properly prepped when you pick it up.
Thank you for your response It was getting a little annoying having everyone trying to convince me I was being unreasonable for having standards. The guide told me they need to improve and they know they will or the company will stall and ultimately die. These QC issues are plaguing the company and word of mouth is everything.
How’s your experience been with the vehicle after that? Are you atleast enjoying it and having fun with it? I have no doubt the vehicle is fun to drive but I also have to be satisfied with its appearance.

Sponsored

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

A siginficant portion of the value of an R1 is the battery and the powertrain. I'm not, and would never, excuse Rivian of actual damage to the vehicle prior to delivery, but assembling vehicles so they "have 10 micron precision" like Tesla's goal is absolutely a fools errand.
If you can see it with the naked eye, it’s not 10 microns. I’ve purchased used vehicles that look better than this. I do think it’s fine to let minor stuff go until the SC can address and correct them, but it’s also perfectly valid to say a new car should look new.

OP
OP
Zeusy Zeus

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

LOL. Holy shit man….I’d kill for just those incredibly nit picky ticky tack issues.
I mean that was the surface who knows what else was wrong with it I was too scared to find out tbh. What kind of issues have you faced?

OP
OP
Zeusy Zeus

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Highly recommend you go find that Ford to buy. As someone who ask owned several Fords - good luck.

You came on a forum to complain about a one-off situation and are mad that everyone didn’t come to your side with pitchforks. I can’t even see the defects in your pics. Admittedly, I didn’t delve into them in extreme detail, but if the watermarks are so significant, I wouldn’t need to. I also recommend looking to Porsche or Rolls Royce, as I feel like those vehicles might meet your standard better than Rivian.
My last two cars were a BMW and a Mercedes both at similar price points and were light years beyond the delivery quality. Yes it’s not the fair to compare two established manufactures against Rivian but at the price point Rivian is asking for these vehicles they better expect many others like myself to be heavily disappointed. Especially if they think it’s ok to deliver piss poor quality.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I mean that was the surface who knows what else was wrong with it I was too scared to find out tbh. What kind of issues have you faced?
Well, I returned a very early vin (1500 R1T) for paint striping and just overall bad silver paint application…second one needed a lot of panel realignment…still not 100% (I’m OCD but working on it) but I just live with it really.

I may trade this one for a dual motor. If I do, I will probably be a little more critical like you, however.

OP
OP
Zeusy Zeus

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

You said in another thread that you’re trying to flip your R1S anyway. I’ll happily pay you what it cost for your horrible vehicle since I’m in the market and would love to save the $17k.
What I actually said is if I don’t want to keep the vehicle I will ultimately sell it. I’m not going to keep a vehicle I’m not happy with. So far I’m not happy but that’s more the SC than anything. Like I mentioned I’m hopeful Rivian can make this right but if they can’t I have no problems moving on from this brand. It’s not for everyone and that’s alright. Rivian might be right for me it’s just not right for me at this point in their business model.

Sponsored

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
Thank you for your response It was getting a little annoying having everyone trying to convince me I was being unreasonable for having standards. The guide told me they need to improve and they know they will or the company will stall and ultimately die. These QC issues are plaguing the company and word of mouth is everything.
How’s your experience been with the vehicle after that? Are you atleast enjoying it and having fun with it? I have no doubt the vehicle is fun to drive but I also have to be satisfied with its appearance.
I really like the truck. 17 months of ownership and 50,500 miles. I have a fairly early VIN (7000s) so I do cut them some slack, but I've had 9 trips to the Normal SC not counting the recalls. They've had it 5 weeks total and always gave me a loaner (that's how I know the higher VINs are better). No motor or battery issues; mostly software stuff they couldn't do OTA and suspension. Two white collar employees live in my subdivision. One is a software engineer and the other guy is in paint or something and you are right; THEY know they have QC issues, but they are getting better. I guess the first 6 months of production 65 percent of sales had a service appointment within 30 days of delivery. Supposedly that number is 26 now. Industry average is under 10.

OP
OP
Zeusy Zeus

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

They said that because it’s their job. No one here is saying that you didn’t have valid concerns that you shouldn’t ask to be fixed if they bother you (Except the water spots). Most are suggesting that your commentary around those relatively minor issues is exaggerated.

I would have also asked them to fix those issues, but not freaked out about my guide not responding ASAP and not posted a thread here as if my Rivian delivery was the worst ever in history. That is a bit ridiculous.

But you do you man.

I will do me. Everyone’s entitled to their opinions. I’m not comfortable with the experience I had and wanted to share it to hopefully help others but also gather opinions and suggestions.

Unfortunately the reality I received was sarcasm and keyboard warriors calling me a diva. That is what’s actually a “bit ridiculous”.

I mean it was the worst in my experience ever buying a car that’s just the truth of the matter. The guide thing I feel ultimately displays their level of commitment to their customers. Right now it seems they’re more wrapped up at delivering the vehicles and just getting them off their lots than making customers feel appreciated. To me no matter how small it is I want to feel that Rivian values me as a customer. Didn’t feel that initially.

OP
OP
Zeusy Zeus

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Well, I returned a very early vin (1500 R1T) for paint striping and just overall bad silver paint application…second one needed a lot of panel realignment…still not 100% (I’m OCD but working on it) but I just live with it really.

I may trade this one for a dual motor. If I do, I will probably be a little more critical like you, however.
Oh man I would have been livid I can’t even imagine. In a way I feel continuing with this vehicle I would continue with a damaged vehicle that was repaired instead of a new vehicle. I know you can relate… it’s hard to fully enjoy the vehicle knowing it could have been a better quality from the beginning. If that makes sense.

mptx17

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I will do me. Everyone’s entitled to their opinions. I’m not comfortable with the experience I had and wanted to share it to hopefully help others but also gather opinions and suggestions.

Unfortunately the reality I received was sarcasm and keyboard warriors calling me a diva. That is what’s actually a “bit ridiculous”.

I mean it was the worst in my experience ever buying a car that’s just the truth of the matter. The guide thing I feel ultimately displays their level of commitment to their customers. Right now it seems they’re more wrapped up at delivering the vehicles and just getting them off their lots than making customers feel appreciated. To me no matter how small it is I want to feel that Rivian values me as a customer. Didn’t feel that initially.
Keep doubling down; you'll convince everyone with your next post for sure.

OP
OP
Zeusy Zeus

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I really like the truck. 17 months of ownership and 50,500 miles. I have a fairly early VIN (7000s) so I do cut them some slack, but I've had 9 trips to the Normal SC not counting the recalls. They've had it 5 weeks total and always gave me a loaner (that's how I know the higher VINs are better). No motor or battery issues; mostly software stuff they couldn't do OTA and suspension. Two white collar employees live in my subdivision. One is a software engineer and the other guy is in paint or something and you are right; THEY know they have QC issues, but they are getting better. I guess the first 6 months of production 65 percent of sales had a service appointment within 30 days of delivery. Supposedly that number is 26 now. Industry average is under 10.
Thank you for that info very helpful. I’m rooting for Rivian I truly am. Sorry to hear you had to go through all that but hey atleast you’re loving the vehicle. That’s a lot of miles so it’s good to see it’s holding up well for you. When you say the vin is in the 7000 range is that the last few digits? The last part of mine is 023335 does that mean it’s 23,000 or? Just curious.
Sponsored