First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
My congratulations to you and I don't mean it in a sarcastic way. I think it's good you knew that the "order of reservation to deliver" wasn't a priority. I did not know this......at all. I did know there could be up to 3-4 months difference, where some would get theirs ahead of others. It makes sense when delivering to a certain area. You need to have the truck filled and some in that area may have a higher order number than others, but a year's difference, no way.

"They cannot tell what they do not know." Speculation: I'm thinking they knew, but like now, choosing not to share that information at pre-order, or even now, to keep reservations up.

"Too soon to judge on that and many things, so be waiting patiently before complain." Perhaps you're right, but 2 yrs. 4 months is long enough for me. :) If you don't mind me asking, what is your pre-order date? Have you been waiting over 2 years? When do you consider waiting patiently is long enough......3,4,5 years? Complaining certainly won't get me anywhere, but it's always nice to vent your frustrations. Most here are good listeners. I consider those that ordered in Nov and Dec 2018 early reservationist. I don't include myself in that group. Those in that group, that haven't been contacted from a guide, are the ones I feel for.

I felt all proud being a Dec. 2018 place holder (Launch Green R1T), AND I live 20 minutes from Los Angeles. Told my cousins all about it, etc. One of my cousins is an even earlier Dec 2018 placeholder, and lives 15 minutes from the Rivian building in Irvine. He still hasn't gotten a call yet (launch green R1T)
It's frustrating to hear 2020 place holders getting Guide contacts.

The last month really took my excitement away. Not expecting much anymore.
Sponsored

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Team Yellow accepts all. All your friends…okay, that one random dude on the forum…are doing it!
Team Yellow accepts all. All your friends…okay, that one random dude on the forum…are doing it!
Car & Driver or Autoweek had a survey about used car colors. Guess what, Yellow came up to be the most desired used carl!

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

I felt all proud being a Dec. 2018 place holder (Launch Green R1T), AND I live 20 minutes from Los Angeles. Told my cousins all about it, etc. One of my cousins is an even earlier Dec 2018 placeholder, and lives 15 minutes from the Rivian building in Irvine. He still hasn't gotten a call yet (launch green R1T)

Yeah I agree, I'm a Nov 2018 order holder and was always told deliveries would be based upon a first come first served basis. This stinks!

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, R1S (waiting for Max Pack)
Occupation
Construction
My congratulations to you and I don't mean it in a sarcastic way. I think it's good you knew that the "order of reservation to deliver" wasn't a priority. I did not know this......at all. I did know there could be up to 3-4 months difference, where some would get theirs ahead of others. It makes sense when delivering to a certain area. You need to have the truck filled and some in that area may have a higher order number than others, but a year's difference, no way.

"They cannot tell what they do not know." Speculation: I'm thinking they knew, but like now, choosing not to share that information at pre-order, or even now, to keep reservations up.

"Too soon to judge on that and many things, so be waiting patiently before complain." Perhaps you're right, but 2 yrs. 4 months is long enough for me. :) If you don't mind me asking, what is your pre-order date? Have you been waiting over 2 years? When do you consider waiting patiently is long enough......3,4,5 years? Complaining certainly won't get me anywhere, but it's always nice to vent your frustrations. Most here are good listeners. I consider those that ordered in Nov and Dec 2018 early reservationist. I don't include myself in that group. Those in that group, that haven't been contacted from a guide, are the ones I feel for.
You do not know that others will be be before you and no way to think it will be one year different. Always what you order and where you live will make difference. If this is your first EV and not following industry before may not be as easy to say.
I order in Feb 2019 but want R1S with I think longer range but will not know for sure until numbers come. I did not do Launch edition but should have to have better place if I want standard range. I will probably not do more expensive trim but may want the money on pack instead so maybe OK anyway. Just want basic R1S with maybe bigger range but no other extra $$ just white or silver. I no need fancy stereo or go off road more than gravel road so base version is good for me.

I don't think they could know that they would have the money they got to work on fast grow and were thinking much slower. Hard hard to hire and grow so fast with so many people. It takes many many people just to hire the other people and work structure on how each part talks to another. That is probably the harder than actual build truck.

It easy to think that first talk to guides means you get your truck sooner, but somewhere else on here contact with Rivian said no. I think it best to wait until actual date given people before jumping to conclusion.

Much can cause delay that maker cannot control. Read that furniture and car have trouble with seat foam supply because of selfish Texas power grid failure. When no refine oil they don;t have the byproduct used to make foam. Having 99% of the parts isn't enough they have to have them all to make complete truck. Talking with some people at tech company they getting quoted 26 week lead time on some sensor for project. Ford remodeling plant to help redo sitting almost complete F150 to make less features to be able to ship them. All will have trouble delivering what they want to ship as much and fast as they and customer want. Nothing to do but wait. They want to give their customer truck as much as customer want to get it.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I am a May 2019 preorder, and was hyped about get a 400 mile truck at the time, and Rivian was really the only game in town. They promised the largest battery pack would come first, oops, that was a fib. Well, now over two years later there are many other options available, CT, Hummer, F-150, so yes the hype has completely faded.

Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
You do not know that others will be be before you and no way to think it will be one year different.
....and that's because there is no communication to explain what's going on and that leads to speculation. We speculate based upon what we perceive to be taking place and the evidence before us, then make the best judgement we think matches. My apologies, but it's a little hard for me to follow the way your sentences are structured, so I bypass what I'm sure is good information.

My concern, at the moment, is why the early pre-order holders (Nov-Dec 2018) have NOT been contacted by a guide, (not delivery) whereas one pre-order holder has, and his/her order was dated Jan 2020, which is definitely a year away. I speculate it's because the ones contacted first will be getting their vehicles before the ones that haven't been contacted. Could I be wrong? Of course, but why would you do it otherwise and be disrespectful to your early pre-order holders?

If nothing else, have respect for the early reservationist and reach out to acknowledge them. Like walking into a busy store, you want to be acknowledged you're there, even if the sales person is busy, "Good Morning, I'll be right with you." All about Customer Service.

I see you ordered close to the same time as me. You knew order date didn't matter and decided against the LE. You also knew, then and now, that you have no idea when you will get your vehicle. Absolutely no idea of any time frame. I am also in that situation, but I didn't know, until recently, what you knew all along. I can only wish you would've shared your knowledge 2 years ago, instead of thinking we knew, or should've known. Still, the question remains unanswered, "When do you consider waiting patiently is long enough, before complaining?" :)

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

My enthusiasm has been deflated as well. I have an 11/26/18 pre-order and did not expect to be sitting on the sidelines wondering what is going on at this point. I do think that there is a possibility that earlier deliveries may be slotted for people who haven't been contacted yet. I don't think it would make sense to ask customers to lock in their configurations for colors that haven't been shared through real world pictures such as launch green/limestone (I currently have launch green configured, but if it turns out to be overly brownish, I won't be interested). With that in mind, I am trying to remain optimistic even though I have been disappointed with the last minute delay and the limited information being provided to customers contacted by guides.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I am a May 2019 preorder, and was hyped about get a 400 mile truck at the time, and Rivian was really the only game in town. They promised the largest battery pack would come first, oops, that was a fib. Well, now over two years later there are many other options available, CT, Hummer, F-150, so yes the hype has completely faded.
I think promised is a large stretch. They have always said that everything is subject to change, I did not read a single thing on their website or in the emails I received that was 100% guaranteed.

They initially stated large and max pack would be first. Based on historical EV (read Tesla) the larger pack/more expensive vehicles are usually first out of the gate so it was assumed by many that was one thing that would not change but it was never promised or excluded from the "subject to change" disclaimer.

To be honest, we all hope the prices we have configured will stay as they are but there is still a possibility they can change as well before we sign our final purchase agreement.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
My enthusiasm has been deflated as well. I have an 11/26/18 pre-order and did not expect to be sitting on the sidelines wondering what is going on at this point. I do think that there is a possibility that earlier deliveries may be slotted for people who haven't been contacted yet. I don't think it would make sense to ask customers to lock in their configurations for colors that haven't been shared through real world pictures such as launch green/limestone (I currently have launch green configured, but if it turns out to be overly brownish, I won't be interested). With that in mind, I am trying to remain optimistic even though I have been disappointed with the last minute delay and the limited information being provided to customers contacted by guides.
Speculation again, but based on facts so far, it appears that Guide contact is #1 delivery location, #2 configuration, #3 pre-order date. NOT what we want to hear or what we were led to believe, but practically speaking, It does make sense. If Guides went strictly by pre-order date, they would spend an inordinate amount of time explaining why they cannot tell you when you will receive your order, and it may not be until the spring of 2022. Inefficient, and awkward conversations. I live about 100 miles from Atlanta, and there are several other Atlanta preorders, but no nearby service centers yet under construction that I know of, so those of us in the Southeast, or Midwest, are just going to be waiting a bit longer. Really hoped to get my LE R1T in 2021, but 2022 is a lot more likely.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Idk, maybe it's just me but the excitement with these vehicles isn't about getting it first. It's getting a truck (or SUV) that functionally fits what I want in either. That's assuming they deliver the (general) technical specs and quality that they have suggested. I'm just hopeful that they can avoid increasing the prices due to their material costs.

Would I like it S00N(ER)? Yep. But I'm still pretty stoked. S00N folks. S00N.

Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
I think promised is a large stretch. They have always said that everything is subject to change, I did not read a single thing on their website or in the emails I received that was 100% guaranteed.

They initially stated large and max pack would be first. Based on historical EV (read Tesla) the larger pack/more expensive vehicles are usually first out of the gate so it was assumed by many that was one thing that would not change but it was never promised or excluded from the "subject to change" disclaimer.

To be honest, we all hope the prices we have configured will stay as they are but there is still a possibility they can change as well before we sign our final purchase agreement.
No argument from me. Just my opinion:

It's easy to defend Rivian when they can change anything they want, aren't required to sell you a vehicle, even if you wait 3 years, and you can get a refund if you're not pleased in any way. Fair enough.....but doesn't mean I have to like their play on words and hidden disclaimers, if they do. I don't know this to be true. The only thing I know to be factual, is in my Pre-order confirmation email. I saw no disclaimer, or guarantee on it.

I was going by what the company stated would be produced first. It was not. I was in for the Large Pack since the beginning, so it didn't affect me, but I can certainly see how it affected those that wanted the Max Pack. That's not to say a disclaimer wasn't located elsewhere, but it was not on the email I received. Not only that, but what the heck does "lose your place in line mean". How do I know where my place is? I have no clue. After some of my posts, I may no longer have a place in line anywhere, but I don't think that matters.?? I'm going to take my location off my profile. :CWL:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Guide Contacted Finally! (For Real) ? r

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
Speculation again, but based on facts so far, it appears that Guide contact is #1 delivery location, #2 configuration, #3 pre-order date. NOT what we want to hear or what we were led to believe, but practically speaking, It does make sense. If Guides went strictly by pre-order date, they would spend an inordinate amount of time explaining why they cannot tell you when you will receive your order, and it may not be until the spring of 2022. Inefficient, and awkward conversations. I live about 100 miles from Atlanta, and there are several other Atlanta preorders, but no nearby service centers yet under construction that I know of, so those of us in the Southeast, or Midwest, are just going to be waiting a bit longer. Really hoped to get my LE R1T in 2021, but 2022 is a lot more likely.
Depending on where you may be located in the SE and what you configured, I do not believe Spring of 2022 is realistic, even for a early reserved LE RT1. I'd make a friendly wager that it will be closer to Spring 2023.

We live in central South Carolina. I have seen only two planned Rivian service centers listed anywhere close to us. One in Raleigh, NC and one in Atlanta, GA. Both are a 4 hour drive (210 miles +) from our house. If those locations are truly all they are planning to open in the foreseeable future it makes me wonder when will I get my truck, based on the stated criteria from Rivian this past May.

How long will it take Rivian to open these new spaces and then staff them? The only hope I have is they did what Tesla did. We were one of the first to get a Tesla model s, when they were first released, in our state. Even then Tesla had the ability to send ranger service to us because they were coming out of Charlotte,NC which is only an hour +change away. I think they had arranged a temporary lease to base the service out of while they were building their current location (think that opened in 2015).

I just think Rivian, overall, based on a couple of assumptions on my part, are just further away then a lot of us are forecasting. I hope to be proven wrong, because I want the vehicle before 2023.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
No argument from me. Just my opinion:

It's easy to defend Rivian when they can change anything they want, aren't required to sell you a vehicle, even if you wait 3 years, and you can get a refund if you're not pleased in any way. Fair enough.....but doesn't mean I have to like their play on words and hidden disclaimers, if they do. I don't know this to be true. The only thing I know to be factual, is in my Pre-order confirmation email. I saw no disclaimer, or guarantee on it.

I was going by what the company stated would be produced first. It was not. I was in for the Large Pack since the beginning, so it didn't affect me, but I can certainly see how it affected those that wanted the Max Pack. That's not to say a disclaimer wasn't located elsewhere, but it was not on the email I received. Not only that, but what the heck does "lose your place in line mean". How do I know where my place is? I have no clue. After some of my posts, I may no longer have a place in line anywhere, but I don't think that matters.?? I'm going to take my location off my profile. :CWL:

r.png
That is the exact email I got. If they had stated we PLAN or ANTICIPATE largest pack to enter production first, then I would have taken it as a disclaimer, but instead they stated WILL.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
That is the exact email I got. If they had stated we PLAN or ANTICIPATE largest pack to enter production first, then I would have taken it as a disclaimer, but instead they stated WILL.
But the 180kWh pack was never the highest performing one... That honor goes to the 135kWh pack. Read the sentence again, "Fully equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first." Two different configurations are named as going "first."

No, the 135kWh and 180kWh packs are not entering production at the exact same time, but they're delivering the highest performance one and the largest one before moving on to lower spec'd configurations (they haven't even announced any details about a 105kWh variant).

Yeah, it was easy to assume the Max pack would be the very first pack, and it was a reasonable guess. But the 135kWh always had the higher performance numbers -- in many ways, that is their flagship product.

The fact of the matter is they named two different configurations to enter production first. One of them just wound up being more first than the other. Both are coming out within 6 months of launch day and way before any lesser-equipped configurations. And before anyone was asked to decide which one they wanted, they knew about the 6-month difference in timeline.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I am truly sorry you guys feel slighted, not sure there is anything reasonable that can be done to make you feel better.

This is why we are in such a litigious society, seems like common sense has left the room. (this is not an insult to anyone on this forum, just my personal observation)

Before you hit checkout, there was a disclaimer that clearly stated

Options, specs, and pricing may change as we approach production

When you clicked on checkout, you were agreeing to these terms.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Guide Contacted Finally! (For Real) ? 1623445148408
Sponsored