Sponsored

Do you feel this sealing approach is more viable and easier than other discussed methods?

• Total voters

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
tl;dr - They are STURDY and well-constructed! I took a “non-plug” easier and much less time-consuming approach to sealing the 4” holes! Any and all questions are welcome!

Please vote in the poll, after reviewing!

Hello my fellow, “Riviarians”! While it’s been a long time coming (Ordered on 11/14/22), I’m pleased to report that @EV Sportline was right, that “it’s worth the wait”! I’ve attached photos (at the end) for the points I make in this write-up.

A “while waiting - Lesson Learned” for me is that it’s best to ask questions/make suggestions via DM/PM - or better yet, directly with EV Sportline’s Customer Service (“CS”) team. I have found communications with CS to be very responsive and transparent, especially when it comes to production and order delivery status. So, I would suggest you direct things like that to CS, vs. the various forum threads.

Here are two links to other informative threads on this. The first is my “Master Thread…” for all member Running Board (“RB”) reviews, which this review will be linked to. The second in the @EV Sportline “many page” long product thread for their Running Boards and Sliders.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...x-running-boards-sliders-from-team-1ev.11589/

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...iders-for-rivian-r1t-r1s-from-team-1ev.10034/

Suggestion: First scan the JEBINC “Lessons Learned” and Installation Tips: section below, prior to proceeding.

Okay, now on with the actual JEBINC review!

1) Surprisingly, FedEx actually delivered the package “on time” (a rarity for them); and boy is that box heavy – a early sign that the product within is of the highest quality!

2) I felt like a kid during the winter holiday’s when doing the unboxing! The product was well packed to ensure the delivery process did not damage them! All of the needed parts, hardware and correct bits were provided, as promised – I think @EV Sportline is the only provider that “goes the extra mile” to provide customers with the needed odd Torx bits. Nice touch!

3) I went with the more open “Triple Slot” tread design, as I preferred the “Rivian Stadium” look over the original 1EV logo/box design (personal preference, of course). I designed and installed custom flaps for the front of the truck, so I’m not overly concerned about stuff flying through the ovals. I also self-PPF’d the lower portions of the doors, below the bend, thanks to Iliya at @twraps!

4) After unpacking, I installed the plates on the Running Board (“RB”) frames and headed out to the garage!

5) See my recommendation at the end of this step (5), if not wanting to try the rubber plug/grommet solution…. Because I’m anal, and want to ensure the drilled holes are exactly where I want them in the panels (to ensure I can get the plugs to fit w/o bracket interference at the margins), I removed the 10mm (6 total) and T20 bolts (4 total) and dropped just the inside edge of the panels (didn’t mess with those clips at all). Note 1: Mine also had some adhesive to break free as well (center and rear panels). Using an extra-long 90 degree “hook” tool – I aligned the point directly below the TP55 indentation and pushed up on the panels to make an impression (raised bump) on the outside of the panel. Now I know exactly where the bolt is relative to the panel. Note 2: As @EV Sportline told us, there is a lot of panel installation variability, so for those of you wanting to use plugs, you may want to do something similar, vs. using the templates provided with the product. Those work fine for people okay with leaving the holes open, of course, but may not be precise enough for plug installation. Note 3: Having the inside panels dropped also allows you to slide in a ~4” x ¾” plank (Optional, of course. I had my own hole saws so this worked best for me) for an improved panel drilling experience (i.e., drilling stability and frame protection). Note 4: Center of drill hole is off-set from center of TP55 bolt location.

JEBINC Recommendation – Skip this approach if you do not want to add Velcro (see below), or fiddle with plug fitting, and go with the @EV Sportline templates and “no panel removal” instructions! Sealing solution below…

6) Next…

- Since I already had dropped the inner edge of the panels for experimentation and hole cutting, I installed ¾” w Marine grade Velcro (after cleaning well with 91% isopropyl alcohol) to the center and front panel inner edges. I found, center panel in particular, the plastic clips weak and panel rattle prone! For the rear, I went with 3M double sided tape, but Velcro works as well; maybe even better/more reliably.
- Reinstall the panels (if you decided to drop them for Velcro installation or precise hole locating).
- Snuggly (but not tightly) reinstall the frame brackets and running boards (Note 5: Since this is a temporary install, for alignment only, I only used ½ of the mounting bolts – one per bracket) to set the alignment. Tighten these enough so they properly orient the frame brackets - and then tightened down the frame brackets in that position. Remove the RB’s and torque the frame brackets to the frame, per Rivian spec. Note 6: I’m wondering if Loctite should be used, as it seems like some thread compound was on these bolts... Hmmm…

7) And now the plot twist (drum roll)…I decided not to use thermoplastic plugs, or rubber grommets, as my experimentation with the Thermoplastic plugs was time consuming and results were “hit and miss,” depending on each bracket and hole. Yes, those bulges are a real PITA and protrude from the holes more in some locations than others. What did I go with, you ask? “Gorilla Waterproof Patch and Seal,” of course! It was a quick and easy job!

- I cut two 5 ½” radius pieces (out of the 4" wide product), using a X-acto knife and a small saucer as a guide. Extra diameter/material is needed for the bulge - to ensure at least ½” seal around the edge of the holes.
- Clean well, with 91% isopropyl alcohol, the area around each hole and frame bracket – to ensure good adhesion to plastic panel and metal frame brackets. Note 7: Since I already had the RB’s mounted, I installed the “seals” without having to remove RB’s! I also used my heat gun to warm the seal location prior to installing the seal.
- The first half went on the back side of the frame bracket with a flap being affixed to the rear-facing side of the bracket (for sealing purposes), and the balance sealing around the outside perimeter of the 4" hole. Note 8: Ensure there is no seal material in the RB mounting interface area (the “slide zone”)!
- Next, I repeated this for the front side of the frame bracket and overlap the top and bottom of the backside piece already installed. Note 9: I did cover the front-facing panhead side of the bolts with seal to protect from debris chipping and subsequent corrosion.
- Note 10: Yes, yes, I know…. equivalent seal can be found in wider than 4" sizes, but I wanted to test this sealing approach ASAP; and my plan was always to "split and overlap" the seal, and to create bracket sealing tabs, so I went with this product (see link below). Again, I was searching for a "commercially viable," quick, easy and secure seal solution for those with existing 4" holes, and for those that plan to do 4" hole method themselves.

Link to product I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HSKRYQW?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

8) Permanently install the RB’s, to the mounting brackets, as instructed by @EV Sportline.

9) Step back and take a moment to enjoy your great installation job, and the EV Sportline RB’s.

10) Test them out and go for a drive – Note 11: Take a passenger or two, so they can enjoy the experience as well!!

JEBINC “Lessons Learned” and Installation Tips:

1a) For those newly installing the running boards, install your seal halves after torquing down your frame brackets, but before mounting the RB's to said frame brackets - super easy! For those with RB's already installed, the two-piece seals can be added WITHOUT having to remove the RB's - This is how I did mine as I added the seals, "the day after" installation of the RB's!

1b) Because the frame brackets take up nearly the entire 4” hole (top and bottom, but not sides), and hole location (relative to the TP55 bolts) will vary for many reasons… If you “attempt” the rubber plug method, your 4” drill hole will need to be located “precisely,” otherwise the top side of the bracket, and/or “bulge” WILL NOT allow for the plugs to be installed, due to interference/proximity to the hole edge! For this reason, I abandoned all (thermoplastic and rubber) plug solutions, as those solutions would likely not work on all eight holes for those who drilled holes per the “template” provided, or for those that had @EV Sportline install the boards at one of their locations (this is due to panel installation location variability, and drill bit orientation when drilling the holes). One misaligned hole (in eight), and you are screwed! We needed a quick, easy, durable and “commercially viable” solution for all customers going with 4” holes, given the known variability and frame bracket challenges.

2) I’m going to experiment with some 3/32”, 1/8” and 3/16” rubber/Vinyl bead fender welting - between the tread plate and frame. More to come on this potential JEBINC mod…

3) One person can install the boards. Just sit on the ground (between the 2nd and 3rd bracket from the front) and rest the RB just above your knees. Using your legs as a jack, raise your knees to hold the RB in place - whilst you insert some bolts and nuts!

4) I used a heat gun (or you can use a hair dryer) to warm the panels just prior installing the Gorilla Patch & Seal to each hole – and then again after installation. Give the warmed margins of the seal a good rub/press! This ensures great adhesion, and a “problem-free” installation.

5) After drilling each hole, scrape away, or otherwise remove, all loose drilling debris/shavings. This will ensure a smooth surface and will avoid unsightly “lumps” under the seal. I used a utility knife and some 100-grit sand paper for the inner edges.

6) I used my pneumatic impact wrench; that made easy work of removing TP55 bolts. I also tested an 18” breaker bar; that also worked well, if an impact wrench isn’t readily available.

7) Since I dropped the inner edge of my panels, as mentioned above, I installed the marine-grade Velcro – to further limit water/dirt intrusion, and to silence those damn loose rattle-prone center panels!

8) Wash the underside of your truck, and let dry out in the garage a few days (only if you plan to drop the panels for a plug “attempt” or to install Velcro), prior to starting. Your eyes will be very thankful.

9) Be careful not to scuff, scratch or chip the powder-coat paint on your RB’s when installing the plates or installing the assembled RB to your truck. I used several mover’s blankets ($9 ea. at Harbor Freight), to ensure this didn’t happen.

10) Pushed in, the RB’s look best, IMHO (YMMV) – and there is less mechanical leverage on the brackets and frame.

11) Enjoy the journey; it has been a long time in the making!

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 1FedEx

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 2aunboxin

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 2bUnboxin

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 3Panel Dro

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 4Hook Tool

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 5Velcro

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 6ta

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 7sealcuttemplat

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 8asealview

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 8bsealview

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! IMG_6626
Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Great tutorial, as always. Love that Gorilla tape.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
And it's related cousins, "Alien," "T-REX," and "Flex Seal" tape/patch/seal/other! 🤣
Definitely! We are drowning in awesome tape options now compared to when I was a kid and you had to choose between masking, duct, painters, scotch and electrical tape.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Thanks @jebinc for all the hard work on this. I came to the same conclusion about the plugs. Just too many possible interference points to make them easy and repeatable to install. The tape looks like a good solution, at least until something else better may come along. I should have mine on this week sometime.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thanks @jebinc for all the hard work on this. I came to the same conclusion about the plugs. Just too many possible interference points to make them easy and repeatable to install. The tape looks like a good solution, at least until something else better may come along. I should have mine on this week sometime.
Great tutorial, as always. Love that Gorilla tape.
Definitely! We are drowning in awesome tape options now compared to when I was a kid and you had to choose between masking, duct, painters, scotch and electrical tape.

While, technically, it’s called "tape," it's really a thicker rubbery/butyl material, with rubber-like waterproof adhesive for pool liner and roof applications. When you double it over (back-to-front), per my procedure, it's thicker and rubberier than the center section of those Chinese made 100mm rubber "+" slotted plugs!

And.... "Seals" better than slits, slots or open holes! Remember, the goal is to eliminate debris from getting in between the panels and Frame, where these holes were drilled!

Last edited:

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Nice write-up with lots of OCD detail. I resemble that! I’ll be curious to see your handiwork on upcoming outing you might be at. Great job 👍

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Nice write-up with lots of OCD detail. I resemble that! I’ll be curious to see your handiwork on upcoming outing you might be at. Great job 👍
Thanks for the kind words! OCD, yes! Some would even say, “anal” amounts of detail… it’s the engineer in me, I guess….

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

it looks very nice. will be interested in how the gorilla tape holds up. I run mine through a car wash about once a week. Do you think the tape would hold up to this?

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
it looks very nice. will be interested in how the gorilla tape holds up. I run mine through a car wash about once a week. Do you think the tape would hold up to this?
Yes. It supposedly can be applied “under water” 💦 to things like pool liners and wet roofs and chimney flashing! Supposedly….

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes. It supposedly can be applied “under water” 💦 to things like pool liners and wet roofs and chimney flashing! Supposedly….
Added a photo….

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! D8D3885D-2813-43E6-B808-6D3EB8ED7450

Check out all of the pictures, via the product link I included in the OP.

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T , Tesla Model 3
Very nice. Thanks for the info. Why Gorilla Tape over Flex Tape?

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Very nice. Thanks for the info. Why Gorilla Tape over Flex Tape?
I trust the Gorilla brand more than “Flex Seal” - with all those Hokie ads and commercials. YOMV.

I was also able to get the Gorilla for less $$$ and same day delivery. I believe expert reviews are better on the Gorilla version as well. Go with whatever suits you!

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Glad you finally received yours and appear to be happy with them. I remember mentioning tape as a possible solution. Looks like that may be a viable one. I've been handicapped with one hand here for the past month so haven't been able to do anything with mine yet. Thanks for post. I have the 4 inch rubber hole fillers. They seem to have some flex in them, so might still give them a try since I have them. Nothing to lose trying. But, likely will end up with the tape method as well. Since you can't see the holes, for me, it's only about protecting the metal underneath the plastic, so not too concerned if the solution doesn't look "factory", as long as it accomplishes the intended goal.

Congrats on getting them. Long road, worth the wait.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Glad you finally received yours and appear to be happy with them. I remember mentioning tape as a possible solution. Looks like that may be a viable one. I've been handicapped with one hand here for the past month so haven't been able to do anything with mine yet. Thanks for post. I have the 4 inch rubber hole fillers. They seem to have some flex in them, so might still give them a try since I have them. Nothing to lose trying. But, likely will end up with the tape method as well. Since you can't see the holes, for me, it's only about protecting the metal underneath the plastic, so not too concerned if the solution doesn't look "factory", as long as it accomplishes the intended goal.

Congrats on getting them. Long road, worth the wait.
Since your holes were drilled “at location” and by using the “templates,” I think you will find the plugs will not work in some/most of your holes for the reasons mentioned in my OP. To get a 4” or less plug solution to work, each hole needs to be precisely located and drilled. I suppose you could drill 5” holes and use 5” plugs to get around the problematic panel protruding frame brackets, but I digress. Re “Tape,” as mentioned above, this is a grade above “tape”. I also recall someone suggesting neoprene glued to the back-side of the plastic panels. I ruled that out as well. In addition to being a PiTA, the exposed hole cutouts will accumulate dirt, snow and mud, eventually compromising that “glued from the inside” method. I had some other concerns/suggestions, re the boards, but I’m working those offline with EV Sportline. Thanks for the kind words!

Edit: @kizamybute'. In my haste to reply, I forgot to wish you a quick recovery on hand 🤚 issue! ☺

To add a bit more on this sealing alternative approach, a key to me liking it a lot was the process and two piece Split seal approach to application. Doing this really seals the area well as you get those nice bracket seal tabs (which a one piece slotted 5 1/2” seal circle, or 4” rubber plug approach does not give you). Also, you get a thicker “plate” over the unsupported open hole area.
Sponsored

Last edited: