Sponsored

Do you feel this sealing approach is more viable and easier than other discussed methods?

• Total voters
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
In a couple weeks I'd like to know if you notice any changes in range by adding these. One of my only hangups...
Sure, but I don't expect to notice any range hit, based on what I've seen so far.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Well, it's been raining like a, "SpaceX launch pad water deluge system," here in Seattle - so I thought what a good day to do some environmental seal stress testing - including driving on a road that is under construction! Note: When I first got the truck, the noisy center panels caused me to apply some black duct tape to them and the frame. After the first rainy drive, the duck tape either peeled off completely, or was hanging down partially - clearly not a good solution. This seal, as mentioned, is waterproof and used on roofs and underwater to seal pool liners.

Punch line - All is as it should be! "Nothing to see here..."

IMG_6654.jpeg

IMG_6653.jpeg
Longer Highway Speed Water Scouring Test Results…

Zero issues; nothing to see here, either!
@EV Sportline

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 179B1F27-8986-4784-9817-12467A245513

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 72A11E1F-353B-4582-9554-8CA616423E8E

Last edited:

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Think I'll go ahead and order a 100mm hole saw and the gorilla tape. Its not going to look as pretty as yours, but I'll seal it up nice. I'll likely just use the template and hope that it works for my truck, rather than lower the plastic and locate the bolt.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Think I'll go ahead and order a 100mm hole saw and the gorilla tape. Its not going to look as pretty as yours, but I'll seal it up nice. I'll likely just use the template and hope that it works for my truck, rather than lower the plastic and locate the bolt.
Agreed, not lowering the panels, using the templates and sealing with the big Gorilla was my recommendation. I only lowered the panels to test the plug approach for y’all all. While the panels were down, I did the Velcro thing, for better edge sealing and rattling panel elimination.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Okay, come on now, I can’t be the only one with holes that has tried some sort of seal technique...

Shout out to all you “hole plugger lovers” out there - Have you tried to plug? What were your results? Are there ANY successful rubber pluggers out there, meaning success plugging all eight holes?

Sponsored

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
I'm really curious as to your rationale for not just removing the panels and leaving them off. Is there concern for the underbody without them? Just because the clips are a PITA?

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Okay, come on now, I can’t be the only one with holes that has tried some sort of seal technique...

Shout out to all you “hole plugger lovers” out there - Have you tried to plug? What were your results? Are there ANY successful rubber pluggers out there, meaning success plugging all eight holes?
Ha ha, no, not really. I got as far as a "bench test" and it was no better than I imagined. Looks like too many trouble spots.

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! hole_no

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'm really curious as to your rationale for not just removing the panels and leaving them off. Is there concern for the underbody without them? Just because the clips are a PITA?
Yes and yes. Gaping areas, especially rear of the rear panel, for all kinds of stuff to collect and rot - just forward of the rear wheel well. Didn’t want to take the aero hit either. And lastly, it just looks like unfinished shite! 🤣

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Ha ha, no, not really. I got as far as a "bench test" and it was no better than I imagined. Looks like too many trouble spots.

hole_no.jpg
And that my fellow Riviarian, is an understatement! The very flat original frame mount design (From an OEM-like finish perspective) was FAR superior than this right angle twist, via box, bend, bulge and support “foot “ we now are left with to work around.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Yes and yes. Gaping areas, especially rear of the rear panel, for all kinds of stuff to collect and rot - just forward of the rear wheel well. Didn’t want to take the aero hit either. And lastly, it just looks like unfinished shite! 🤣
+1
Add to that my drive includes a round trip on a 1/4 mile run of "5/8 minus" road that basically coats the areas behind the tires like spray-on concrete. It's easy to pressure wash off the plastic, not sure how this will go if open.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
+1
Add to that my drive includes a round trip on a 1/4 mile run of "5/8 minus" road that basically coats the areas behind the tires like spray-on concrete. It's easy to pressure wash off the plastic, not sure how this will go if open.
Oh yes, here in WA we call that, “chip seal” road resurfacing. Liquid tar and 5/8” minus. And they let the traffic press that shite into the soft tar. About a month later, of heavy use, they “might” sweep away any excess!

I have a 500’ 5/8” minus loose gravel 2nd lower driveway. That shite will chew the crap out of the frame primer as well.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

Everyone was waiting to see what you were going to do lol. Also maybe 5 or 6 people on the forum have received their running boards so far.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
@jebinc. thanks for the detail post. How long did it takes for you to install the running board and is it a one person job? I'm planning to leave the plastic panels off after install the running board.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
@jebinc. thanks for the detail post. How long did it takes for you to install the running board and is it a one person job? I'm planning to leave the plastic panels off after install the running board.
Yes, a one person job. Maybe plan on it taking two hours?

Edit: My work was spread out over eight hours/two days, as I tested different products and methods, took pictures and notes, water 💦 testing, etc., in order to produce the review, lessons learned and tips write-up and later posts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Everyone was waiting to see what you were going to do lol. Also maybe 5 or 6 people on the forum have received their running boards so far.
Nah, while mine were ordered way back in early November, I though they were shipping these running boards out now at a pretty good clip, maybe 50/week minimum?
Sponsored