Sponsored

clcbjc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe and Z07
The question for me is do I keep the Rivian and sell it day 1, make a little money, spite Rivian or cancel the order outright?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure I agree with Rivian being blameless. Both Lucid Motors and Fisker Inc are also new/startup EVs with direct-to-consumer business models, and they are both able to sell (and, at least w/ Lucid so far), deliver me a vehicle. [Note: Rivian's current service centers are closer to me than the nearest Lucid Service Centers]

Also, Rivian has already delivered a number of R1Ts to folks in NC, so those folks were somehow able to get their vehicles (and, presumably, are able to have them serviced).

Lastly, and, more importantly, NC (and many other states that have similar laws on the books) didn't change anything since I first put my money down on my Rivian R1S almost 2 years ago. To the contrary, the only times they've communicated to me about deliveries (prior to Oct. 22), they encouraged me to upgrade my trim/selections (which I did) and they never mentioned their "inability" to deliver in NC, but rather gave me false hopes (the latest being in Apr. 22 when they said I could expect delivery in the first half of this year).

So, although I wish NC (and 9 or 10 other states) would amend their laws, Rivian is far from blameless.
IMO not a very good comparison. Lucid and Fiskers have a small fraction of the number of customers/vehicles to deliver compared to Rivian, and from what I heard recently, my understanding is Lucid has unsold vehicles ready to go.

DallasRivianR1S

First Name
Krispi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
big wheel
Occupation
donut maker
I was also delayed, as they said that they want to make sure that there will be a service center near me. I'm in Dallas, 5 miles from a service center. I have been to the service center.

I understand supply line constraints, but their excuse for this 3rd delay is a lie, or a mixup

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Excellent observation. Productive comment. Best plan is to hold onto your reservation and deny them that revenue as long as possible rather than just canceling and letting it go to someone else. You really know how to stick it to them!
Rivian R1T R1S Delivery Estimate Updates Are Out! ⏱️ [as of Jan 31, 2022] 1675260981051

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Interesting how they still apparently build R!T more easily than R1S. I would think that Rivian would be agnostic at this point.

Sponsored

RivianNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air
IMO not a very good comparison. Lucid and Fiskers have a small fraction of the number of customers/vehicles to deliver compared to Rivian, and from what I heard recently, my understanding is Lucid has unsold vehicles ready to go.
My intent w/ mentioning the other brands is not to draw a comparison (in quality of service or ability to delivery in quantity), but rather to note that the same "laws on the books" exist for all of them and others haven't used them to delay delivery.

As for the rest of my post, it remains factual regardless of the other brands. Rivian could've mentioned their inability to sell/service a vehicle in my state at any time in the prior 2 years, yet they didn't (but rather doubled down on delivery timelines).

Not to mention the number of owned/operated Rivian R1Ts in my state would seem to indicate that Rivian has sold and is presumably servicing vehicles in my state. Otherwise, what was their national rollout plan? Only sell and service in some states? Did they forget/ignore the fact that folks move around various states? If so, they should've communicated those caveats, not string folks along. They've been around since 2009; there's no excuse.

So, my opinion remains that Rivian is far from blameless.

btw, there are a number of posts on this forum from folks that have early orders and live very close to Rivian Service Centers that have gotten the same dismissive excuse I got. (no SC in your area). Something is amiss.

dingdongbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
There is lot changing the world of batteries and also how quickly they can charge and bi-directional charing. All these things keeping me worried if we are buying 2 year old battery technology.

Tesla in 2013 is the same as 2016 and not same as now. They got better, longer range, more refined.

Almost for everyone i heard its more than 2 year wait time

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Done. Reservation closed. Enjoyed your unreliable, phantom battery draining Chinese parts-mobile. They should change the label on these to “assembled in US*” *with Chinese parts, engineered by tech bros.
You do realize Ford, GM, Stellantis all assemble vehicles in the U.S. with parts from all over the world, including China? Including the best-selling vehicle in America, the F150.

I can understand your frustration with the wait for the vehicle, but to claim the vehicle is just a bunch of Chinese parts is not accurate.

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
well, ok, Seattle area's problem then. Well, life is fair... I've got my R1T delivered sooner than later (sold for profit I couldn't refuse as R1S was the one I really wanted/needed) but now I am paying for that with this painful delay. Was early 2023... now as late as June 2024. I don't think I can wait that long. This seriously sucks. I was actually hoping for a move up after hearing news of successful ramping up... only to get pushed back 6+ months. I am eagerly waiting how Kia EV9 would turn out.
The EV9 is a great vehicle (AWD version)

Sponsored

RivDeWrld

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Lexus IS
I was also delayed, as they said that they want to make sure that there will be a service center near me. I'm in Dallas, 5 miles from a service center. I have been to the service center.

I understand supply line constraints, but their excuse for this 3rd delay is a lie, or a mixup
Agreed. Same story with my Rivian (R1S)... got delayed by several months (from Q3 of '23 to H1 '24) with the same excuse (lame). I've been to the service center recently next to love field and I live 20+ minutes away.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Done. Reservation closed. Enjoyed your unreliable, phantom battery draining Chinese parts-mobile. They should change the label on these to “assembled in US*” *with Chinese parts, engineered by tech bros.
Wow! I'll bet you're just a hoot at parties! You'll be missed...

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
Isn't the EV9 a concept vehicle? Have they started building them? (or have a schedule to build/deliver?)

.. my wife is in need of a plan B ..tx
Apologies, I meant EV6; KIA is using this base platform for its EV models. So far so good.

NormalLife

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Audi e-tron
Occupation
Med Device
Interesting how they still apparently build R!T more easily than R1S. I would think that Rivian would be agnostic at this point.
I'd becurious how many post price increase R1Ts are in the delivery mix, or will be soon. Rivian could be trying to ease the margin pain by giving some priority the R1Ts (SC locations frustrations for some remain of course). The thread's R1T vs R1S commentary is very different for the most part. Obvious production start time differences, but just curious what else is at play.

There has been some mention of Rivian trying to get through all the pre-price increase preorders in 2023 and put it behind them. But when it comes to the numbers and the street, maybe quarter over quarter improvement from a profitability and margin perspective is better received. Total speculation on my part.
Sponsored