Sponsored

GreenBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

We had our first little bit of rain up here in NorCal yesterday (.33in over 2 days). Opened up the gear tunnel to find an entire pond's worth of standing water inside. Truck was closed up tight including the power tonneau cover. The truck was on my sloped driveway (~10 degree pitch) with rear end uphill and I think the water came in from somewhere behind the tonneau cover's enclosure? not sure but this isn't great.

Called service and they did electrical diagnostics and made me an appointment for middle of October. Bummer.

UPDATE: entire cab floor is soaked too

UDPATE: November 4. Still waiting to get truck in to SC. Asking them to remove tonneau cover and reseal area around tonneau slat storage.

Rivian R1T R1S Gear Tunnel and Cab Water Intrusion IMG_7531.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Gear Tunnel and Cab Water Intrusion IMG_7537.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Gear Tunnel and Cab Water Intrusion IMG_7538.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Strongly considering selling off car when it comes in. Lots of issues to work out. Rivian is going to go broke trying to fix and redesign their manufacturing to eagle these issues. Anyone in PNW with this issue yet?

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Strongly considering selling off car when it comes in. Lots of issues to work out. Rivian is going to go broke trying to fix and redesign their manufacturing to eagle these issues. Anyone in PNW with this issue yet?
It isn't rainy season yet here in the PNW, so unlikely that anyone here has seen this issue yet.

Although these issues can be concerning, what we don't know is how frequent this and others are. People that don't have issues tend not to come into forums to say how wonderful their non issues are...

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Just to be clear, you are considering selling off a vehicle you don't have yet based on problems others have, not your own experiences? Can I ask why you aren't considering keeping based on the positive reviews?

Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Just to be clear, you are considering selling off a vehicle you don't have yet based on problems others have, not your own experiences? Can I ask why you aren't considering keeping based on the positive reviews?
I’m hoping they get fixed in manufacturing. However, I ordered an R1S so likely this won’t be an issue. Hoping it’s a non issue but there are engineering things that often get overlooked when designing first gen models.

gunslinger201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T and a '22 IS500 Launch Edition
Occupation
Professional Scapegoat
The loaner I have right now from service (VIN 2771 I think) has this problem as well. I've not noticed it on mine (VIN 11xxxsomething).

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

It isn't rainy season yet here in the PNW, so unlikely that anyone here has seen this issue yet.

Although these issues can be considering, what we don't know is how frequent this and others are. People that don't have issues tend not to come into forums to say how wonderful their non issues are...
I think people that get worried seeing these issues and freaking out must be new to forums. They don’t realize that people don’t post “yup, had another normal day with my rivian” you either post to get praise or sympathy. Trust me I am one of those. But go check out a bronco forum or a land rover forum, or any other manufacturers forum, they all have people posting the hundreds of things that can go wrong with a vehicle. It has no scientific bearing on how great or horrible a vehicles manufacturing is.

sorry, had to post.

Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
I think people that get worried seeing these issues and freaking out must be new to forums. They don’t realize that people don’t post “yup, had another normal day with my rivian” you either post to get praise or sympathy. Trust me I am one of those. But go check out a bronco forum or a land rover forum, or any other manufacturers forum, they all have people posting the hundreds of things that can go wrong with a vehicle. It has no scientific bearing on how great or horrible a vehicles manufacturing is.

sorry, had to post.
I agree but I’ve been in car forums for the last 16 years so I’m pretty well versed in following issues vs. reality. What’s always stuck with me is first model year production is always full of issues and by Y2/3, it’s ironed out and near perfection. True of every major brand both ICE and EV.

Makes me OK with a Q4 2023 or Q1 2024 delivery. :)

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
Yeah man...the list of problems grows by the day, if not hour. This is getting out of hand. I have a week left to make a decision.

mitchelmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Kia Telluride
My vin is in the 2000's and I have yet to experience this issue of water in the gear tunnel. I had my driver side gear tunnel door adjusted at the service center for better body panel alignment recently and will keep an eye on it. Just make sure that your gear tunnel doors are always fully closed.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Yeah man...the list of problems grows by the day, if not hour. This is getting out of hand. I have a week left to make a decision.
You have a week (or 1,000 miles) to return the truck to Rivian if you don't like it. Since you are on the fence, maybe it would make sense to get it, drive it to ~900 miles, spray it with a hose, check for squeaks/weird noises/panel misalignments and at the end of the week, see if you loved it more than you thought or if there's something about it you still don't like.

I understand a week isn't a super long time, but I think much of your concerns may be alleviated after having a handful of days with the vehicle and checking things out thoroughly.

Even if there is something not to your liking, see what it would take to get fixed or see how much a dealer would buy it from you for.

Pretty much, if you're a pre March 1 reservation holder, I don't see the benefit in canceling without any of these options first, unless you have talked yourself out of it. :)

By the way, I completely understand your point. I felt the exact same way when I got my first Tesla (a model 3). All I heard for the weeks/months leading up to it were: "I love this car" or "it has had so many issues" which made it difficult to decide.

In the end, I decided there was no other vehicle that I was happy with after test driving about a half dozen others and so I took the plunge. It ended up having a couple of minor things fixed within the first week.

However - all were fixed in 24 hours and one service visit, got the vehicle back and drove the absolute heck out of it on cross country road trips, put tens of thousands of miles on it and never regretted it!
Sponsored

Last edited: