First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
...Service told me that they’re testing a redesigned cover and a recall is likely, but they won’t do anything for me until it’s available…
Maybe they're waiting for the "steering wheel shake" recall, the "Creaking Sound When Initially Accelerating" recall and the "one side is lower than the other side" recall so they can get multiple recalls done in one visit :(
Sponsored

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
Maybe they're waiting for the "steering wheel shake" recall, the "Creaking Sound When Initially Accelerating" recall and the "one side is lower than the other side" recall so they can get multiple recalls done in one visit :(
Thankfully, mine has none of these. Overall, my truck has been fantastic. Fans are loud and gear tunnel ppf could have been installled better on one side.

Gully

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTI, R1T
Mine sounds okay, but it doesn’t close tightly, anymore. It closes and pushes against the tailgate then retracts 1/2“. Fine for security, but not close to water-resistent.
When my R1T was dropped off they said this was an issue with the most recent software update and would be fixed.
We will see.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Mind you, I don’t have my truck yet…
My original config was manual tc. I knew this was going to be a problem at some point in the life of the truck. But impatiently waiting for my truck I changed config to automatic tc : expecting at some point it will be a recall item but in the meantime production is their priority.

But this thread, and contribution from prestspost took me back to when as a kid I would toggle the light switch on/off like a game. And my dad would say, “it’s not a toy and the more you do that the more likely you’ll break the build”. Not enjoying the dark I learned why that was good advice!
So…update:
A couple weeks ago I changed my config as noted above. Today I logged into my account to show a buddy the pics. Low and behold, I have a guide assigned on my ? page. No email as of yet but I suspect it should be coming sooner than later. Just like First Mile drives, I’m unable to discern a pattern or timeline for the next contact or how soon I lock my config. Anyone (vets) willing to coach me through what to expect next?

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

So…update:
A couple weeks ago I changed my config as noted above. Today I logged into my account to be show a buddy the pics. Low and behold, I have a guide assigned on my ? page. No email as of yet but I suspect it should be coming sooner than later. Just like First Mile drives, I’m unable to discern a pattern or timeline for the next contact or how soon I lock my config. Anyone vets willing to coach me through what to expect next?
I was asked to confirm my config and invited into the 8 step buying process, with an assigned VIN, within 24 hours of noticing I had a guide.

Sponsored

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
I was asked to confirm my config and invited into the 8 step buying process, with an assigned VIN, within 24 hours of noticing I had a guide.
Holy $hit! I guess this could be happening. Ironically, I observed 2 trucks matching my basic configuration at Denver SC on Saturday. They are both still there today. And I happen to live 800’ from the SC.
Thanks for increasing my heart rate. No sleep for me tonight…

sickhews

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback
My tailgate .... that is another story - it will not open
Sorry for digging this back up, but I'm curious what you mean by this. Do you mean to say that when you push the button to open it, it doesn't automatically lower? Or that when you push the button you can't manually lower it?

If it's the first thing, that's because the tailgate is powered by gravity. It's not a powered lowering mechanism:

Rivian R1T R1S Poll: Does your tonneau cover work? Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 1.36.51 PM

(page 148 of the owners manual).

If it's the second thing that's way more concerning and I would be getting Rivian to look into that!

Varuca-TX

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Colorado Duramax - 2001 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Real Estate
Sorry for digging this back up, but I'm curious what you mean by this. Do you mean to say that when you push the button to open it, it doesn't automatically lower? Or that when you push the button you can't manually lower it?

If it's the first thing, that's because the tailgate is powered by gravity. It's not a powered lowering mechanism:

NOTE: Since the tailgate uses gravity to open, it won't open if the car is pointed downhill. In this case, you'll need to open the tailgate manually after pressing the button.'t open if the car is pointed downhill. In this case, you'll need to open the tailgate manually after pressing the button.

(page 148 of the owners manual).

If it's the second thing that's way more concerning and I would be getting Rivian to look into that!
apparently one of the latches (driver side) wasn't working - tailgate would not open even if pulled - new part ordered and mobile repair will come out and replace it when it is received by the service center

Deleted member 6990

Mine sounds okay, but it doesn’t close tightly, anymore. It closes and pushes against the tailgate then retracts 1/2“. Fine for security, but not close to water-resistent.
Mine does the same thing, shuts tightly and then retracts slightly leaving an opening for rain.

propofoldream

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Mine does the same thing, shuts tightly and then retracts slightly leaving an opening for rain.
Have you tried doing the tonneau reset? (pressing the button 4 times: short - short - short - long). If so, try doing the reset with the tailgate down so that it calibrates to the end of the track and not the tailgate itself. Not sure if that will fix things, but it’s worth a try.

Sponsored

Deleted member 6990

Have you tried doing the tonneau reset? (pressing the button 4 times: short - short - short - long). If so, try doing the reset with the tailgate down so that it calibrates to the end of the track and not the tailgate itself. Not sure if that will fix things, but it’s worth a try.
Thanks, will try when truck is back from shop.

Viper GTS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Lexus GX 470
Occupation
God Among Men
So this happened today:

Rivian R1T R1S Poll: Does your tonneau cover work? 92FC74A1-36DF-4328-8E31-4823ECA83C7A

I pushed it back into the slot and now it will extend those two panels and stop. Thankfully it will actually retract them as well. Maybe if I’m feeling brave I will run a calibration.

This is maybe the 5th time I have attempted to cycle it, I’ve been mostly leaving it open but was showing the truck to a friend. Literally was saying “and this is the worst part of the truck” as I was pushing the button, that’s probably where I went wrong.

Last edited:

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I don't wanna say because I don't want to jinx it. Knowing how fragile it is, sadly, I only use it when absolutely 100% necessary. Would make things easier to use it on several more occasions, but, I'd rather use it less and have it working than use it too much and have it break before they offer a fix for it.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Ultimate jinx poll reply. Knocking on wood.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Not sure where else to throw this question…

For those with a broken tonneau, does it always get stuck half open when it breaks? Mine won’t close right now, but it’s not stuck. It will start to close and 1-2 slats will come out and then it stops and retracts. Wondering if this is a software issue or a hardware issue.
Sponsored