Does your tonneau cover work?

• Total voters

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Just curious where people are— mine was noisy for a few weeks, then finally gave up last time I used it, wedged at an angle, and is done.

Service told me that they’re testing a redesigned cover and a recall is likely, but they won’t do anything for me until it’s available…
Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Mine stops about an inch short or closing and opening, and doesn’t sound nice, but not totally broken… I don’t have much faith though. Ticket in with service but no word yet.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Mine sounds okay, but it doesn’t close tightly, anymore. It closes and pushes against the tailgate then retracts 1/2“. Fine for security, but not close to water-resistent.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Mine works perfectly…for now.

*knocks on wood*

Sponsored

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
March 31st delivery. 6000 miles and open and close it almost everyday. Sometimes I assist it to close tight against the tailgate but short of that still going strong. I joke my truck is such a low number maybe RJ built it himself and that's why it's still going

I also live on a dirt road with a 1200' dirt driveway. So not a pavement princess. I've done a couple 1080's

Varuca-TX

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Colorado Duramax - 2001 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Real Estate
My tonneau cover works - occasionally, retracts a half inch as others have said - My tailgate .... that is another story - it will not open

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Mine snaps hard going in. When it's over 70 degrees it doesn't even open one leaf before binding. I mention the temperature because I found that if I need to open it, I just hose it off with cold water for a few minutes then open it.

phantomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y, R1T
I picked ‘acting funny’. I did have an issue where it would only retract half way. I was like that is where it registered open. When I would close it it would run full speed into the tailgate and retract 2 feet. If I pressed it again it would open to the halfway point. I found the press 3 time then long press reset and it did nothing. In frustration I pressed the button 10 times or so rapidly and then a long press. That reset it and it’s been sounding like it will give up at any moment, but still working.

as for the tailgate, my driveway is sloped and the tailgate won’t drop on its own but I could pull it down. Now if I release it from the cab I gat a warning on the screen that it failed and I need to get it serviced. I have to go to the back press the button and pull down the tailgate. So works almost as before with an error I can ignore.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

8,500 miles 112 degree heat works flawless.....for the 15 times I've used it ;)....

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Mine broke (jammed diagonally about 20% closed) the first day I had the truck, and the service center repaired it a few days later. It has been perfect ever since. I use it several times a day and have put it through a fair amount of dust, mud, and a couple car washes.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I think I've used it 4 times. It's definitely the one feature I refuse to "show off" to people. If I can reach what I need without opening, then I do. Fortunately, not terribly often that I need the height. Because this thread is even warranted, and knowing that there's currently no fix for it, am choosing to only use it when absolutely necessary. Once a fix is available, will feel more comfortable using. I hope they do an actual recall, that way everyone gets one replaced, not just those that it breaks on. Otherwise, for some, they could get past the warranty period, only to have it break then and be SOL. A recall with a proper fix would put minds at ease, plus hopefully will make it a usable and reliable feature.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Can you please add a “my tonneau broke before the truck was even delivered” option? Thanks.

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
My advice is clean the top of the cover using some car plastic cleaner, roll it up to keep it tucked away and clean. Use it when you need it, and be good about cleaning it before rolling it back up away for storage.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
8,500 miles 112 degree heat works flawless.....for the 15 times I've used it ;)....
Mind you, I don’t have my truck yet…
My original config was manual tc. I knew this was going to be a problem at some point in the life of the truck. But impatiently waiting for my truck I changed config to automatic tc : expecting at some point it will be a recall item but in the meantime production is their priority.

But this thread, and contribution from prestspost took me back to when as a kid I would toggle the light switch on/off like a game. And my dad would say, “it’s not a toy and the more you do that the more likely you’ll break the build”. Not enjoying the dark I learned why that was good advice!
Sponsored