Sponsored

Using a 48a Tesla wall connector to charge an R1T

RivianSocial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Chevy Spark EV, HD Livewire, Rivian R1T
Still waiting to take possession of my R1T but already thinking about how to charge it at home once it arrives. I'm sure I'm not the only person to own a Rivian and Tesla so I did a quick video on what I think is the best of both worlds.

Brent
Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Many non-Tesla owners use a Tesla EVSE to charge their cars. There are at least two adapters that can handle the 48A.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Your option #5 won't work or at least not how I think you are expecting it to. You can't install 2 gen-3 tesla chargers on a single circuit breaker like you can with the Gen 2 wall chargers.

Gen 3 Tesla wall chargers each require their own circuit breaker. See page 5 of the Tesla wall charger Manual. "For sites with multiple Wall Connectors, each Wall Connector must have its own branch circuit." So unless you already have a subpanel in the garage, you would need to install one.

And once you are installing a subpanel, it opens up an option #6. Put 2 30 amp breakers in the subpanel, and use the Tesla charger for the Tesla (set to 24 amps) and use the Rivian charger for the Rivian (set to 24 amps). While this does not let either vehicle ever charge at 48 amps, you don't need to use adapters, and you don't lose the smart features that Rivian gains from using a Rivian charger.

Last edited:

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Yep, I kept my Tesla mobile connector and wide array of NEMA adapters, and have a TeslaTap Mini so I can plug my Rivian into anything...it works great!

Sponsored

OP
OP
RivianSocial

RivianSocial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your option #5 won't work or at least not how I think you are expecting it to. You can't install 2 gen-3 tesla chargers on a single circuit breaker like you can with the Gen 2 wall chargers.

Gen 3 Tesla wall chargers each require their own circuit breaker. See page 5 of the Tesla wall charger Manual. "For sites with multiple Wall Connectors, each Wall Connector must have its own branch circuit." So unless you already have a subpanel in the garage, you would need to install one.

And once you are installing a subpanel, it opens up an option #6. Put 2 30 amp breakers in the subpanel, and use the Tesla charger for the Tesla (set to 24 amps) and use the Rivian charger for the Rivian (set to 24 amps). While this does not let either vehicle ever charge at 48 amps, you don't need to use adapters, and you don't lose the smart features that Rivian gains from using a Rivian charger.
Thanks for your comments. I hadn't realized that about the Gen 3s. I could do as you suggest and split the 60amp into 2 30s but I'm guessing with a 138Kw battery pack on the Rivian, I'm going to need as much power as I can get to keep it topped up in a timely manner.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Call tesla and see if they can sell you the J1772 lead for your wall connector. They offered them with this connector for a while.

OP
OP
RivianSocial

RivianSocial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FYI, I did #4 because I was already setup with two HPWC. For the most part it works and it's hard to say that it doesn't work except for one time.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/tesla-hpwc-lectron-adapter-red-ring.6284/
I just picked up a second, slightly used, Gen 2 Wall Connector this past weekend. I'll be installing it over the next week. I'll provide an update on my results shortly.

In my research I also noticed the WallBox has Power Sharing over a single circuit. If I didn't go with the Tesla chargers, WallBox looks to be a good alternative too?

https://amzn.to/3OososR

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I just picked up a second, slightly used, Gen 2 Wall Connector this past weekend. I'll be installing it over the next week. I'll provide an update on my results shortly.

In my research I also noticed the WallBox has Power Sharing over a single circuit. If I didn't go with the Tesla chargers, WallBox looks to be a good alternative too?

https://amzn.to/3OososR
WallBox looks nice, especially integrating with solar. Our utility stopped doing net metering (paying 1/10th the cost) so this would have payed for itself eventually (just a few years).

Sponsored

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Charger newbie question.
Can one use a new Tesla charger (level 2), Gen 3 I believe, to charge a Rivian?
If no, what is the limiting factor(s)?
If yes, how fast would it charge in terms of miles per hour?
Thank you

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Charger newbie question.
Can one use a new Tesla charger (level 2), Gen 3 I believe, to charge a Rivian?
If no, what is the limiting factor(s)?
If yes, how fast would it charge in terms of miles per hour?
Thank you
Yes, any of the modern Tesla wall EVSEs will work with Rivian. The only ones that won't are the original roadster EVSEs and the super chargers.

You would just need to use a TeslaTap or similar adapter.

As far as how "fast" it charges, that depends on what circuit you install it on. It will charge exactly as quickly as any other EVSE under the same conditions.

48A = ~24 miles per hour
40A = ~20 miles per hour
32A = ~16 miles per hour

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yes, any of the modern Tesla wall EVSEs will work with Rivian. The only ones that won't are the original roadster EVSEs and the super chargers.

You would just need to use a TeslaTap or similar adapter.

As far as how "fast" it charges, that depends on what circuit you install it on. It will charge exactly as quickly as any other EVSE under the same conditions.

48A = ~24 miles per hour
40A = ~20 miles per hour
32A = ~16 miles per hour
Love it. Extremely useful answer.
this is more or less what I had understood but it would have ended being costly if I were wrong.
The reason Iā€™m thinking about installing a Tesla charger is because our other car is a Tesla.
I spoke with an installer earlier who brought up Clipper Creek and Chargepoint with an emphasis on Chargepoint.

OP
OP
RivianSocial

RivianSocial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Love it. Extremely useful answer.
this is more or less what I had understood but it would have ended being costly if I were wrong.
The reason Iā€™m thinking about installing a Tesla charger is because our other car is a Tesla.
I spoke with an installer earlier who brought up Clipper Creek and Chargepoint with an emphasis on Chargepoint.
If you haven't already bought the Tesla charger, consider a Wallbox. They'll charge up to 48amps (the maximum for a Rivian and Model3/Y) and you'll be able to network them off a single circuit. The 2 Wallboxes will share a single circuit so you don't have the added expense of installing a new circuit for the second vehicle.

If you already have the Gen 3 Tesla charger, just get the adapter as mentioned by CommodoreAmiga. I haven't tried the TeslaTap he mentioned but the one I used in my video is a Lectron (https://amzn.to/3tArUYd). You might find it cheaper on the Lectron website?

I just finished installation of 2 Gen 2 Tesla chargers on a single circuit. I'll update my video to show anyone interested how that worked out.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

If you haven't already bought the Tesla charger, consider a Wallbox. They'll charge up to 48amps (the maximum for a Rivian and Model3/Y) and you'll be able to network them off a single circuit. The 2 Wallboxes will share a single circuit so you don't have the added expense of installing a new circuit for the second vehicle.

If you already have the Gen 3 Tesla charger, just get the adapter as mentioned by CommodoreAmiga. I haven't tried the TeslaTap he mentioned but the one I used in my video is a Lectron (https://amzn.to/3tArUYd). You might find it cheaper on the Lectron website?

I just finished installation of 2 Gen 2 Tesla chargers on a single circuit. I'll update my video to show anyone interested how that worked out.
Still in the research phase so thatā€™s great to know as well.
Iā€™ll only have one EV at a time at that location as itā€™s a weekend home.
Sponsored