Sponsored

Using a 48a Tesla wall connector to charge an R1T

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
If you haven't already bought the Tesla charger, consider a Wallbox. They'll charge up to 48amps (the maximum for a Rivian and Model3/Y) and you'll be able to network them off a single circuit. The 2 Wallboxes will share a single circuit so you don't have the added expense of installing a new circuit for the second vehicle.

If you already have the Gen 3 Tesla charger, just get the adapter as mentioned by CommodoreAmiga. I haven't tried the TeslaTap he mentioned but the one I used in my video is a Lectron (https://amzn.to/3tArUYd). You might find it cheaper on the Lectron website?

I just finished installation of 2 Gen 2 Tesla chargers on a single circuit. I'll update my video to show anyone interested how that worked out.
Both Wallbox and Tesla Gen 3 wall connectors state one unit per breaker. My understanding is this is required by latest code.

OP
OP
RivianSocial

RivianSocial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Chevy Spark EV, HD Livewire, Rivian R1T
Both Wallbox and Tesla Gen 3 wall connectors state one unit per breaker. My understanding is this is required by latest code.
I agree, Tesla Gen 3 wall connectors state one unit per breaker however Wallbox website clearly states "Divide charging power evenly among multiple chargers on the same circuit." under "Power Sharing" on this (https://wallbox.com/en_us/charging-solutions/home) page. Something you'd definitely want to look closer at before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

As an update, Gen 3 HPWC now support load sharing via WIFi with a firmware update:

Though, he used two 60A breakers in his 100A subpanel instead of a single breaker for both. My sparky disagrees with that approach. But net-net you can now load share without the 49’ signaling wire limitation.

I happen to already have a spare Gen2 HPWC from a Tesla referral bonus, so I also found a slightly used Gen 2 HPWC & will be going that route instead.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I agree, Tesla Gen 3 wall connectors state one unit per breaker however Wallbox website clearly states "Divide charging power evenly among multiple chargers on the same circuit." under "Power Sharing" on this (https://wallbox.com/en_us/charging-solutions/home) page. Something you'd definitely want to look closer at before pulling the trigger on a purchase.
Not saying you are wrong because the Gen 3 manual says to use different branch circuits and has pictures of a breaker on each circuit, but there are certified electricians that have used single breakers for multiple gen 3 (in the case where the individual and network amp are the same, i.e. 50a breaker on a 40a network with 40a HPWCs all using the same AWG, yes branched but sharing the same breaker)

I bring it up because I had this argument in a Tesla forum and I was the only one arguing Gen 3 needs a breaker per HPWC.

Here is their point:

The Gen 3 specs say this

"
What does power sharing do?

By intelligently managing available power on a given circuit, power sharing allows a single electrical circuit to support multiple Gen 3 Wall Connectors while still ensuring your electric vehicles get a sufficient charge.
"

https://www.tesla.com/support/gen-3-wall-connector-power-sharing

Also it says the following qualifier

"
Note: In the event that your leader and followers have different circuit breakers, you have to individually connect to each of the followers on different breakers via the Wi-Fi broadcast, and then set the correct breaker limit.
"

Personally I wouldn't do it (Gen 3) because the wording is vague and the examples given are for only a certain use case, so I ended up getting two Gen 2s and there weren't any advantages to Gen 3 (for my use case, not a problem to run a control wire).

But many people have also used Gen 3 in a similar fashion.

Last edited:

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

That was probably written before the load-sharing FW update was available. I know that my sparky is deration-happy…not only does he want to derate each branch circuit in the subpanel (which I agree with), he also claims that you have to derate the circuit between the subpanel and the main load center (which I don’t agree with). AND, he’s using 125% deration vs 120%!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I agree, Tesla Gen 3 wall connectors state one unit per breaker however Wallbox website clearly states "Divide charging power evenly among multiple chargers on the same circuit." under "Power Sharing"
The WallBox statement is not clear, their installation manual makes it clear there has to be a separate branch circuit for each charger and NEC clearly prohibits it where outlets are involved. The website must mean "feeder circuit", not branch circuit i.e. two or more chargers could share a subpanel but each would require its own 60A (or smaller) breaker.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I know that my sparky is deration-happy…not only does he want to derate each branch circuit in the subpanel (which I agree with), he also claims that you have to derate the circuit between the subpanel and the main load center (which I don’t agree with). AND, he’s using 125% deration vs 120%!
Well he's right. Continuous load circuits may not carry more than 80% of the intermittent load capacity which means that the circuit must be sized for 1.25 times the continuous load (1/.8 = 1.25). He's also right that breaker and wiring for the subpanel that feeds the EVSE must be sized for the subpanel's total load. For example if you install a subpanel behind a 100A breaker which subpanel contains two 60A breakers each serving a Tesla Gen 3 EVSE the total consumption of the pair would have to be set for 80A or less. If one car is charging at 48A and a second is plugged in it will only get 32A until the first car finishes or you turn down it's current demand.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
...there are certified electricians that have used single breakers for multiple gen 3 (in the case where the individual and network amp are the same, i.e. 50a breaker on a 40a network with 40a HPWCs all using the same AWG, yes branched but sharing the same breaker)
Code does not prohibit that as long as the branch circuit is properly sized for the continuous load as presented by the load management system. A separate breaker is required where plug-in EVSE are involved and Tesla no longer make a wall mount plug-in EVSE.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

What he ultimately decided to do was a single 60A branch circuit from the 100A panel. The branch circuit will serve 2 Gen 2 HPWC where the leader is set to share 48A between the HPWCs.

Sponsored

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Best adapter is TeslaTap. I have the mini-80amp max and works great.

Ended up getting another L2 charger though anyways; Juicebox in our case as the app can handle mutliple chargers, and it does a lot more than the Tesla one. You can much easier change the amperage, change smart charging windows/times, set a minimum charge of kW per day, and it keeps detailed logs of when plugged in, how much power delivered, etc.

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
Got my TeslaTap mini 60Amp yesterday.

Gen1 (pretty sure) Tesla HPWC on 60Amp circuit putting out 48Amps.

Tested for an hour-ish going from 6x% to 70%. 11Kw and 23.5ish mph.

In other words, worked great.

Thought about new charger but no real need and wasted a converter to be able to use Tesla chargers at hotels and B&Bs and such. Nice and small, stores anywere and seems to do the job. No idea about reliability/longevity.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Had my 80A TT for over a year charging my Taycan at 19kw/80A, no issues.

OP
OP
RivianSocial

RivianSocial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Chevy Spark EV, HD Livewire, Rivian R1T
Call tesla and see if they can sell you the J1772 lead for your wall connector. They offered them with this connector for a while.
I did try reaching out to Tesla but go nowhere. Thanks!