Tesla HPWC + Lectron adapter, red ring

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I have an existing Tesla GEN 2 HPWC running at 40a and using a Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter also rated for that. I noticed when I plug in the R1T ring is white, then goes red for a bit and then goes green (charging). It doesn't pull more than 10kw.

Asking to see if others noticed the same on non Rivian chargers. (I am using my existing setup because I have load balancing HPWCs).

Also one time I noticed checking the app that the R1T said "charging has reached set limit" but it had not. When I went outside I noticed the HPWC had to be reset (no lights). That had never happened before.

Lots of variables changed though, for example now using the adapter and the cable is now outside where the cable+handle is getting direct sunlight and gets hot (I charge the Teslas in the garage).

Posting in case others have noticed similar behaviors. I am not too concerned, just need to check that charging is initiated after plugging in now.
Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I have a gen 2 with Lectron as well. I put adapter on HPWC and wait 1 min. (Maybe 30 secs) then plug into Dirty Bastard. White goes red, HPWC send a charge for a second to do 'handshake', then red goes green and I charge at 40amp. Out of 4x, worked 4x.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

For a comparison, I have used my Gen1 HPWC with an 80A-rated Tesla tap with no issues, cranked right up to 11 KW.

OP
OP

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Thanks, good to know the initial red ring is common/normal and I'm sure the HPWC reset was just a one off coincidence. Haven't had any other issues, and load sharing has been working great.
Sponsored

Last edited: