Clubs

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
I think you are being exceptionally reasonable. The two things that bother me the most are:

1. They are in possession of your 80k without reasonable certainty of delivery the good that money purchased.

2. The EXACT nature of the damage. I would demand to know what damage occurred and the remediation. Then request that this be acceptable to you prior to taking delivery.

I suggest that you request a refund of your monies until the details of the damage and proposed solution are clear and to your satisfaction. If everything is good then would be happy to transfer the funds back to Rivian.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
If you got the "damaged" email the same morning the delivery was scheduled for... maybe the truck is local to you still? Go have a look at it if it's withing driving distance...

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Man if I were Rivian I would be freaking the f out trying to make this right and placating the customer at every turn.

If the EV/auto news world catches wind of this it could be pretty hard to shake the reputation it will brand them with.

Definitely +1 to escalating this. Especially if your guide is semi-afk

Sponsored

MikeySea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model X
Occupation
Gainfully unemployed
Our delivery date was March 25th. That morning we received a text from our guide saying the truck had been damaged in transit. Guide estimated 2 weeks for repair. After not hearing any updates I reached out to our guide who said the truck was at a body shop getting estimates and I should get it back in April. After no contact/updates I reached out again to the guide who said that a part that was ordered to repair our vehicle was itself damaged in transit and they did not have an ETA but were rushing the replacement part.

I have already paid in full and have insurance on the truck. It is 3 weeks past delivery day with no ETA. So we own a 80k vehicle, that I have yet to lay eyes on, that was damaged enough to be sent to a body shop.

I think I am a fairly reasonable person but I am having difficulty processing all this. I've owned over 50 cars in my life and nothing like this has ever happened. That total includes two Teslas.

We have other vehicles, so that's not an issue.The damage will not follow the VIN as it was a company accident and I had not taken delivery. So that isn't an issue either.

But how long do I wait? Our guide, as nice as they are isn't proactive in communicating. I fear if I do not keep after them I won't hear anything until a few days before delivery can happen. That's anyone's guess as to when that may occur.

Is it reasonable to request a new vehicle? Should I just wait a couple of more weeks, or how ever long it takes, receive the vehicle and then decide? I was told I have 7 days after I receive the truck to return it.

The way things are going I would not be surprised if the truck shows up and the damage is fixed but any other defects, in paint, panel gaps, etc. didn't get addressed the whole time. I'm trying not to make assumptions or jump to conclusions but the thought of that scenario is infuriating.

Anyway, should I wait? Try and escalate this up the chain and ask for a new vehicle or what?

Opinions appreciated.

What would you do?
You're not alone. I'm in the same situation, having already paid for my truck in full and being told it would be delivered within a few days. That was more than a week ago. I'm not sure what the holdup is... other than "there was a problem during final QA check" which I've assumed means something cropped up during transit. My guide is light on specifics as to the 'why' but honestly my sense is there's just extremely poor communication between the teams handling delivery and customer care. Not surprising given we're all beta testing Rivian people, processes, and systems. I'm sure raising a ruckus would result in my funds being returned or a different truck but to what end? It will only prolong the delivery process. I'm confident sitting tight and allowing Rivian to resolve any issues will lead to the R1T in my hands sooner rather than later. And if I'm truly unhappy once I'm provided the full deets -- there's always the return policy. Just sit tight my friend and breathe.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

If they took your money they should definitely be keeping you in the loop on what is going on with the truck you paid for. A couple days is annoying, three weeks is worrisome. I agree with others, you may not necessarily need a new truck, but they should either refund your money or deliver a truck that doesn’t have major issues.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

If they took your money they should definitely be keeping you in the loop on what is going on with the truck you paid for. A couple days is annoying, three weeks is worrisome. I agree with others, you may not necessarily need a new truck, but they should either refund your money or deliver a truck that doesn’t have major issues.
Cancel the orders immediately 😒

OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
You're not alone. I'm in the same situation, having already paid for my truck in full and being told it would be delivered within a few days. That was more than a week ago. I'm not sure what the holdup is... other than "there was a problem during final QA check" which I've assumed means something cropped up during transit. My guide is light on specifics as to the 'why' but honestly my sense is there's just extremely poor communication between the teams handling delivery and customer care. Not surprising given we're all beta testing Rivian people, processes, and systems. I'm sure raising a ruckus would result in my funds being returned or a different truck but to what end? It will only prolong the delivery process. I'm confident sitting tight and allowing Rivian to resolve any issues will lead to the R1T in my hands sooner rather than later. And if I'm truly unhappy once I'm provided the full deets -- there's always the return policy. Just sit tight my friend and breathe.
Sorry to hear of your experience, not a fun club to be in.

Like you, I believe Rivian's comms are just that bad at the moment. The guide is trying but they are only as good as what they are told.

Your thoughts are well reasoned.

I appreciate the reply.

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Our delivery date was March 25th. That morning we received a text from our guide saying the truck had been damaged in transit. Guide estimated 2 weeks for repair. After not hearing any updates I reached out to our guide who said the truck was at a body shop getting estimates and I should get it back in April. After no contact/updates I reached out again to the guide who said that a part that was ordered to repair our vehicle was itself damaged in transit and they did not have an ETA but were rushing the replacement part.

I have already paid in full and have insurance on the truck. It is 3 weeks past delivery day with no ETA. So we own a 80k vehicle, that I have yet to lay eyes on, that was damaged enough to be sent to a body shop.

I think I am a fairly reasonable person but I am having difficulty processing all this. I've owned over 50 cars in my life and nothing like this has ever happened. That total includes two Teslas.

We have other vehicles, so that's not an issue.The damage will not follow the VIN as it was a company accident and I had not taken delivery. So that isn't an issue either.

But how long do I wait? Our guide, as nice as they are isn't proactive in communicating. I fear if I do not keep after them I won't hear anything until a few days before delivery can happen. That's anyone's guess as to when that may occur.

Is it reasonable to request a new vehicle? Should I just wait a couple of more weeks, or how ever long it takes, receive the vehicle and then decide? I was told I have 7 days after I receive the truck to return it.

The way things are going I would not be surprised if the truck shows up and the damage is fixed but any other defects, in paint, panel gaps, etc. didn't get addressed the whole time. I'm trying not to make assumptions or jump to conclusions but the thought of that scenario is infuriating.

Anyway, should I wait? Try and escalate this up the chain and ask for a new vehicle or what?

Opinions appreciated.

What would you do?
It’s an $80 truck. I absolutely would not accept an already damaged truck. If they offered me a discount to accept the refurbished truck, I may consider it depending on the delay. But I for sure would not just take it with no incentive.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy

Opinions appreciated.

What would you do?
What was the damage? What body shop did they use? It’s your truck so it should be your call.

hopefully they compensate you for the issues. That is reasonable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
That’s some BS, why is the damage a secret? Who is doing the repairs?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I'm sorry this has been your Rivian experience, but thanks for sharing to the group.

I would politely demand to go see the truck in person at the body shop. What if there are other minor issues with the truck that could be repaired at the same time - panel alignment, any paint chips, etc etc? At least you could be confident that you are ok with the current damage repair plan and know that you will have any and all other issues resolved when you finally get it.

Remember - You own the truck, they need to give you access to see it if it's at a body shop.

I agree with those that say getting a new truck may not be the best course of action because it could take forever and you have some complicated issues having technically already "owned" this truck and have a title (assuming you paid in full) etc. Knowing Rivian's delivery woes it could be months before another truck in your spec is ready for you.

Last edited:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Why would you even want a damagted vehicle at this point for the money already transferred. I would simply not accept it and request a brand new vehicle ASAP before this one is even delivered. Why that option was not even offered makes no sense.

I dont know how to talk to a manager but you really need to Karen this shit up because Id be furious lol. Maybe see if you can get in direct contact with the Tony Fellow..
My sentiments exactly. Take copious notes. Seek legal help.

Last edited: