Sponsored

What's reasonable?

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
Our delivery date was March 25th. That morning we received a text from our guide saying the truck had been damaged in transit. Guide estimated 2 weeks for repair. After not hearing any updates I reached out to our guide who said the truck was at a body shop getting estimates and I should get it back in April. After no contact/updates I reached out again to the guide who said that a part that was ordered to repair our vehicle was itself damaged in transit and they did not have an ETA but were rushing the replacement part.

I have already paid in full and have insurance on the truck. It is 3 weeks past delivery day with no ETA. So we own a 80k vehicle, that I have yet to lay eyes on, that was damaged enough to be sent to a body shop.

I think I am a fairly reasonable person but I am having difficulty processing all this. I've owned over 50 cars in my life and nothing like this has ever happened. That total includes two Teslas.

We have other vehicles, so that's not an issue.The damage will not follow the VIN as it was a company accident and I had not taken delivery. So that isn't an issue either.

But how long do I wait? Our guide, as nice as they are isn't proactive in communicating. I fear if I do not keep after them I won't hear anything until a few days before delivery can happen. That's anyone's guess as to when that may occur.

Is it reasonable to request a new vehicle? Should I just wait a couple of more weeks, or how ever long it takes, receive the vehicle and then decide? I was told I have 7 days after I receive the truck to return it.

The way things are going I would not be surprised if the truck shows up and the damage is fixed but any other defects, in paint, panel gaps, etc. didn't get addressed the whole time. I'm trying not to make assumptions or jump to conclusions but the thought of that scenario is infuriating.

Anyway, should I wait? Try and escalate this up the chain and ask for a new vehicle or what?

Opinions appreciated.

What would you do?
Sponsored

Last edited:

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Why would you even want a damagted vehicle at this point for the money already transferred. I would simply not accept it and request a brand new vehicle ASAP before this one is even delivered. Why that option was not even offered makes no sense.

I dont know how to talk to a manager but you really need to Karen this shit up because Id be furious lol. Maybe see if you can get in direct contact with the Tony Fellow..

OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why would you even want a damagted vehicle at this point for the money already transferred. I would simply not accept it and request a brand new vehicle ASAP before this one is even delivered. Why that option was not even offered makes no sense.

I dont know how to talk to a manager but you really need to Karen this shit up because Id be furious lol. Maybe see if you can get in direct contact with the Tony Fellow..
You are in good company, my wife said the same thing.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

I agree, I think myself to be pretty patient and your level of tolerance has me reevaluating myself.

You definitely need to be escalating this up the chain at this point.

Makes me wonder how patient they would be if somehow the truck was delivered without the funding. Pretty sure that scenario would have been resolved long ago.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I would say it depends on exactly what was damaged.... If it was something like the hood, that can be replaced in whole with no concerns going forward. If it's an integral body part, that's different and demands more consideration.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Could be minor damage and they just can't manage to get it repaired. Still should offer you a new vehicle though, given that you haven't taken delivery of it yet.

Reactions: hed
OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would say it depends on exactly what was damaged.... If it was something like the hood, that can be replaced in whole with no concerns going forward. If it's an integral body part, that's different and demands more consideration.
Fair. Perhaps I should have included that in my original post. What I was told at first was it was the tail gate and light bar. Then a week later when I inquired again I was told it was "deliverable" but they wanted to make sure the truck was 110% perfect before I received it. But that seems to be at odds with being told it was at a body shop for an estimate and then it was technically deliverable. Perhaps the guide misspoke or was confused (Rivian already did that during the 8 step process).

My last communication with our guide they were saying that Rivian should just give me another vehicle but that's obviously not in their control.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
This totally sucks. Damage in-transit is not that unusual, but the delay depends on the extent of the damage and availability of replacement parts.

Getting a new vehicle, especially if title paperwork has been submitted, isn't just a hand-wave. I'm not saying not to pursue that, I'm just saying expect some resistance. Personally the extent to which I would push the issue would depend on the type and amount of damage done.

A buddy of mine did some damage to his 2020 Tundra in the woods in February. It was an insurance job and he still doesn't have his truck because they're waiting for a single delayed body part.

Personally, I think the casual "demand a new truck" comments are inflammatory and silly. It's not an overcooked steak.

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Maybe suggest they give you $$$$ off the price. What’s the value to you of not having the truck for a month or knowing that it has been repaired?

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You certainly have every right to ask for a different truck. I don’t know about the lemon law where you live, but depending on when you officially take “ownership” of the truck it may force them to either replace it or refund your money.

Sounds like you have been very nice and patient so far. Anyone would be beyond frustrated at this point.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

DEMAND A NEW TRUCK!

Okay now for serious response...

Demand a new truck, lol.

The damage will not follow the VIN as it was a company accident and I had not taken delivery. So that isn't an issue either.
Check your contract, you take ownership as soon as it ships 🙈

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This totally sucks. Damage in-transit is not that unusual, but the delay depends on the extent of the damage and availability of replacement parts.

Getting a new vehicle, especially if title paperwork has been submitted, isn't just a hand-wave. I'm not saying not to pursue that, I'm just saying expect some resistance. Personally the extent to which I would push the issue would depend on the type and amount of damage done.

A buddy of mine did some damage to his 2020 Tundra in the woods in February. It was an insurance job and he still doesn't have his truck because they're waiting for a single delayed body part.

Personally, I think the casual "demand a new truck" comments are inflammatory and silly. It's not an overcooked steak.
I agree demanding a new truck seems excessive without understanding what actually was damaged.

The couple of issues I would have is clarity and consistency on what was damaged.

Being in a body shop would concern me, should not be required if just the tailgate was damaged, would concern me that body panels may require repair. Not unreasonable to ask for photos of the specific damage in order to come up with the proper request for rectifying the issue.

Second concern, being told the replacement part was also damaged on delivery. Could be true but does not seem likely.

Last concern, they are building trucks everyday in Normal, any required part should be readily available to ship next day even if it causes one less truck built that day.

With all of that 3 weeks without a resolution this already should have been escalated internally. @hed should not need to escalate, the guide should have done that by the end of week 1.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
My last communication with our guide they were saying that Rivian should just give me another vehicle but that's obviously not in their control.
surely there is someone to appeal to who can make that decision?

email RJ!
Sponsored