Sponsored

“Critical battery issue”

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Still a bit new to the EV world, but...if a newer Tesla needed a HV battery replacement it would mean 'car' replacement, since the pack is structural, correct? I'm skeptical of the structural battery...I like the fact that Rivian can change out the pack.
I tried reading some opinions on that when it was first announced. I found there were some varying opinions on the term "structural" as to how the pack is used in conjunction with the castings to crated a stiffer structure but may still be replaceable. On the surface it doesn't sound great, but has to be replaceable/repairable or they wouldn't go down that production path (I hope).
Sponsored

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
Most people think its excessive but this is why we have a third car. A 2015 Ford Fusion Energi. Tesla had my M3 for a week due to minor repairs and offered Uber credits. Nothing against Uber, I love Uber's service and even drive for them on occasion... but I have my trusty Ford "beater" for such occasions. Heck, its my primary vehicle now since I sold my M3 last May to make room for my Rivian, which was coming in July of last year. :D

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

When I got a Tesla in 2014 the service was amazing. Most things were fixed with mobile techs coming to my house and then larger issues like motors, suspension, battery were fixed at the service center and a loaner Model S was always provided.

Not anymore. Tesla still has some loaners occasionally (if you get the right friendly service advisor) but they have moved to Uber Credits as well. It's really annoying but once the model 3 came out, all the service centers are overwhelmed. It can take 3-4 weeks for an appt in Los Angeles.

So I'm not surprised that Rivian is following down the uber credit path. They don't have loaner cars to give out anyway. Nobody wants them to stop delivering to customers so they can build up a loaner fleet for all their service centers.

This is just the way it will be for early adopters receiving the first year models from a brand new car company. I would not be buying a a first gen Rivian if It was my only option for transport. I know It will have issues.
How often did u have issues for 2014 model S?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

When I got a Tesla in 2014 the service was amazing. Most things were fixed with mobile techs coming to my house and then larger issues like motors, suspension, battery were fixed at the service center and a loaner Model S was always provided.

Not anymore. Tesla still has some loaners occasionally (if you get the right friendly service advisor) but they have moved to Uber Credits as well. It's really annoying but once the model 3 came out, all the service centers are overwhelmed. It can take 3-4 weeks for an appt in Los Angeles.

So I'm not surprised that Rivian is following down the uber credit path. They don't have loaner cars to give out anyway. Nobody wants them to stop delivering to customers so they can build up a loaner fleet for all their service centers.

This is just the way it will be for early adopters receiving the first year models from a brand new car company. I would not be buying a a first gen Rivian if It was my only option for transport. I know It will have issues.
Did that early adopter car ever leave u stranded, or more fit & finish issues?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How often did u have issues for 2014 model S?
It was probably in the service center every couple months on average. Over the first 2 years I had 1 electric motor replacement, 2 air suspension replacements, 1 Main Computer/Screen replacement - but never had a battery issue. And of course there were a lot of software issues but I don't remember anything that ever left me stranded. The motor was replaced because of noise that I noticed more than a performance issue.

The mobile service came out to replace things like the motorized door handles which failed all the time until they redesigned them.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Update: Just got off the phone with the Service Advisor and they will need to replace the high voltage battery. Do not quote me on this because my cell service was a little choppy but apparently a conductor or connection was left open and would not close causing the battery to constantly discharge. The replacement battery will come in on Thursday and the earliest they can get the truck back to me is Saturday. But I will be on vacation until Sunday. So I will not get the truck until Monday.

I actually asked about a loaner and I was told they don't have any loaners at the moment but they will keep helping me get a rental car.
Sounds like a welded contactor. Happens occasionally in high energy systems. Pretty dangerous to work on because you can't turn the HV completely off before dropping the battery out.

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
It was probably in the service center every couple months on average. Over the first 2 years I had 1 electric motor replacement, 2 air suspension replacements, 1 Main Computer/Screen replacement - but never had a battery issue. And of course there were a lot of software issues but I don't remember anything that ever left me stranded. The motor was replaced because of noise that I noticed more than a performance issue.

The mobile service came out to replace things like the motorized door handles which failed all the time until they redesigned them.
We had a 2013 Model S P85 (one of the first in my state). Ours really didn't have a ton of issues. Never had to replace the door handles :)

What we did have replaced (Tesla Rangers came to our house to service):

- Rear drive unit after 30k miles (Tesla flat bed it to service center, covered under warranty)
- Six years in to ownership the center screen developed bubbles and that had to be replaced (our cost)
- adjust the sunroof (slight squeaking)
- Added some washers on some bolts for front suspension

Not terrible considering it was a new model from a fairly new company, service came to us.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did that early adopter car ever leave u stranded, or more fit & finish issues?
We had a 2013 Model S P85 (one of the first in my state). Ours really didn't have a ton of issues. Never had to replace the door handles :)

What we did have replaced (Tesla Rangers came to our house to service):

- Rear drive unit after 30k miles (Tesla flat bed it to service center, covered under warranty)
- Six years in to ownership the center screen developed bubbles and that had to be replaced (our cost)
- adjust the sunroof (slight squeaking)
- Added some washers on some bolts for front suspension

Not terrible considering it was a new model from a fairly new company, service came to us.
I don't remember ever being stranded. Even with the larger issues, the car was always drivable to the service center and they always had a loaner at the time. We got the 8 year extended warranty that paid off over time for a roof leak and door handles that had to be replaced. I think the other major issues would have been covered under the basic warranty anyway.

In terms of basic reliability - not being stranded - I'd still prefer to have any EV over a new Audi or BMW.

Reactions: hed

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Still a bit new to the EV world, but...if a newer Tesla needed a HV battery replacement it would mean 'car' replacement, since the pack is structural, correct? I'm skeptical of the structural battery...I like the fact that Rivian can change out the pack.
Tesla battery packs are replaceable if the battery goes bad or severely degrades. Not something the average Tesla driver should do as you're working with high voltages and very heavy battery packs.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Update: Just got off the phone with the Service Advisor and they will need to replace the high voltage battery. Do not quote me on this because my cell service was a little choppy but apparently a conductor or connection was left open and would not close causing the battery to constantly discharge. The replacement battery will come in on Thursday and the earliest they can get the truck back to me is Saturday. But I will be on vacation until Sunday. So I will not get the truck until Monday.

I actually asked about a loaner and I was told they don't have any loaners at the moment but they will keep helping me get a rental car.
Could you try to get a more detailed explanation of what they think the cause was ("connection left open") for us technical geeks? 🤓

There's an interesting insight here - they are replacing the traction battery, and implying it will take a day or less? Would love to be a fly on the wall to watch that and see how easy/hard it is.

Sponsored

Chilimac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi eTron
Occupation
Retired
Oh boy, the 12v battery issues begin. Many new EVs have gone through this, the iPace and Taycan being two I can attest to.

If that's what it is, the bright side is installing a new 12v will (temporarily) fix it but in those other cases it has been a software issue causing the 12v to drain and took some time to patch.
I had a similar issue with my etron. Audi replaced it, and have had no issues since.

Ovfit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired
Update: I haven’t heard from Rivian yet but I looked at my app and saw this…
7E0DEA2C-6616-447F-AD00-6B965452A403.jpeg

I’ll post another update once I hear from them or see anything different in the app.
Hoping for an easy fix.
I saw El Segundo service center. I used to work in El Segundo in the 1980s just North of Rosecrans

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla battery packs are replaceable if the battery goes bad or severely degrades. Not something the average Tesla driver should do as you're working with high voltages and very heavy battery packs.
He was asking about the new Model Y design that they are producing in Texas with a "structural" battery pack rather than the previous traditionally replaceable design. Time will tell.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I don't remember ever being stranded. Even with the larger issues, the car was always drivable to the service center and they always had a loaner at the time. We got the 8 year extended warranty that paid off over time for a roof leak and door handles that had to be replaced. I think the other major issues would have been covered under the basic warranty anyway.

In terms of basic reliability - not being stranded - I'd still prefer to have any EV over a new Audi or BMW.
Both of you guys are lucky! With my 2015 Model S:

• The 12V battery died, vehicle wouldn't start (replaced under warranty).
  • A front control arm snapped while slowly backing out of the garage ("known" issue with Model S's), had to be flatbedded at my expense 1.5 hours away.
  • A "loose" wire disabled the 12V battery again (I described this on a different thread), requiring flatbedding at my expense.
  • I also had a major steering issue where it became almost impossible to steer (not stranded, but not really drivable).
The first three of those left the vehicle stuck in my garage. I was fortunate that they all happened at home, and not on a trip, and that we were able to get the car loaded for transport. The steering issue I think I noticed leaving the house and was able to return, but it was a while ago.

OP
OP
johnjohn

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Could you try to get a more detailed explanation of what they think the cause was ("connection left open") for us technical geeks? 🤓

There's an interesting insight here - they are replacing the traction battery, and implying it will take a day or less? Would love to be a fly on the wall to watch that and see how easy/hard it is.
I'll see what I can get from the service advisor and let you all know
Sponsored