Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Broker
Clubs

After a long time feeling good about my relatively small list of issues and still functioning tonneau cover I went out to go to work and got the dreaded "Critical battery issue" warning when I got in the truck. Went through all of resets and sleep cycle but warning is still there. SO... Tow truck set up for tomorrow and SC is setting me up with a rental from Enterprise.

Stats:
Launch Edition R1T
Just shy of 12,000 miles
right at 10 months of ownership
03-22 build
A couple road trips and light off roading (no bottoming out or damage) - I do have a heavier foot when accelerating... but not like I am torturing the truck.
Other than safety recalls and some minor stuff have had really good service from SC.

Mostly curious about the final diagnosis (which sounds like a 12V or HV replacement from what I've read) and the turn around time. Single car household so that stuff matters more for the integrity of my life and income.

Will update as I know more.
Sponsored

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
And after a big time headache with tires and then trying unsuccessfully to get running boards installed, I was trying to get in early to work and my R1T is throwing off the critical battery issue. Now it’s got to be towed. 🤦‍♂️. I’m a huge fan but the last few weeks of ownership have been a headache.

RoadTripFan

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Broker
Clubs

They are still working on a final diagnosis on mine - SC in Richmond (which has been great to deal with but are also very backlogged) states there is a harness issue, but that there are other errors that they are trying to figure out as well. Still waiting and am fortunately traveling for business so don’t need a rental or loaner.

RoadTripFan

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Broker
Clubs

After a long time feeling good about my relatively small list of issues and still functioning tonneau cover I went out to go to work and got the dreaded "Critical battery issue" warning when I got in the truck. Went through all of resets and sleep cycle but warning is still there. SO... Tow truck set up for tomorrow and SC is setting me up with a rental from Enterprise.

Stats:
Launch Edition R1T
Just shy of 12,000 miles
right at 10 months of ownership
03-22 build
A couple road trips and light off roading (no bottoming out or damage) - I do have a heavier foot when accelerating... but not like I am torturing the truck.
Other than safety recalls and some minor stuff have had really good service from SC.

Mostly curious about the final diagnosis (which sounds like a 12V or HV replacement from what I've read) and the turn around time. Single car household so that stuff matters more for the integrity of my life and income.

Will update as I know more.

So here we are at the end of week three since this started...
Let me lead off by saying in spite of how ling it has been, the Richmond service center really has been great. The first week it was in the SC I had a rental courtesy of them and it took that week to get the initial diagnostics done.
Weeks 2 and most of week three I was out of state for work anyways so they kept the car while I traveled. Came back from travel and they are still working on it but gave me a loaner R1T (which I much prefer over the rental cars!).

Current diagnosis:
(please note - I do NOT know the inside of the vehicle components as well as many fo you do so please forgive if I say something wrong. And also welcome insights.)
Some sort of insulation or foam in the HVAC was misaligned. Over time this caused condensate to build up, pool and then eventually spill over. The spill hit a circuit board that caused the HV battery fault. The HVAC in question is apparently under the center of the cab and runs up in to the dash. So they ordered a whole new HVAC unit (I am guessing they are not serviceable at the SC in this way?) and pulling the old one and installing the new requires completely dismantling the interior. As of yesterday it was mostly done but the final pieces that are heavier require 2-3 sets of hands to get in place properly without risk of further damage.

While in there they found where the water had leaked onto portions of the carpet so that is getting replaced as well. (Added a couple days to my truck's stay at the SC)

While they had it I had them rotate the tires (which they did for free as it was up on the lift already!! Thank you SC!) and also went ahead and purchased a full sized spare and had them put it in. They also installed the reconfigured version of the 12v batteries while they had it on the lift. (Based on what the tech said the older builds just get a better 12v of some sort and not the 12v/capacitor version that newer builds are getting)

He says the HV battery is fine and the circuit board or whatever they had to replace was easy and in stock.

So hoping to pick it up again next week.

My experience with my SC has been really awesome and the people have been great. Mostly just wish they had faster access to replacement parts and maybe some extra staff. It is also fun to see the deliveries lined up in their parking lot each time I visit. They have been delivering multiple R1's each time I have gone in and I imagine that this takes time from the service techs as well as it seems the staff have a lot of overlap. I also understand the need to get the new ones out the door.

Sponsored

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
So here we are at the end of week three since this started...
Let me lead off by saying in spite of how ling it has been, the Richmond service center really has been great. The first week it was in the SC I had a rental courtesy of them and it took that week to get the initial diagnostics done.
Weeks 2 and most of week three I was out of state for work anyways so they kept the car while I traveled. Came back from travel and they are still working on it but gave me a loaner R1T (which I much prefer over the rental cars!).

Current diagnosis:
(please note - I do NOT know the inside of the vehicle components as well as many fo you do so please forgive if I say something wrong. And also welcome insights.)
Some sort of insulation or foam in the HVAC was misaligned. Over time this caused condensate to build up, pool and then eventually spill over. The spill hit a circuit board that caused the HV battery fault. The HVAC in question is apparently under the center of the cab and runs up in to the dash. So they ordered a whole new HVAC unit (I am guessing they are not serviceable at the SC in this way?) and pulling the old one and installing the new requires completely dismantling the interior. As of yesterday it was mostly done but the final pieces that are heavier require 2-3 sets of hands to get in place properly without risk of further damage.

While in there they found where the water had leaked onto portions of the carpet so that is getting replaced as well. (Added a couple days to my truck's stay at the SC)

While they had it I had them rotate the tires (which they did for free as it was up on the lift already!! Thank you SC!) and also went ahead and purchased a full sized spare and had them put it in. They also installed the reconfigured version of the 12v batteries while they had it on the lift. (Based on what the tech said the older builds just get a better 12v of some sort and not the 12v/capacitor version that newer builds are getting)

He says the HV battery is fine and the circuit board or whatever they had to replace was easy and in stock.

So hoping to pick it up again next week.

My experience with my SC has been really awesome and the people have been great. Mostly just wish they had faster access to replacement parts and maybe some extra staff. It is also fun to see the deliveries lined up in their parking lot each time I visit. They have been delivering multiple R1's each time I have gone in and I imagine that this takes time from the service techs as well as it seems the staff have a lot of overlap. I also understand the need to get the new ones out the door.
Glad you are getting your car worked on. The most interesting thing that is coming out of this is “reconfiguring the old dual 12v setup to a better setup”.
Could you ask them what is better about the new setup and how it’s done?

interesting…

RoadTripFan

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Broker
Clubs

Glad you are getting your car worked on. The most interesting thing that is coming out of this is “reconfiguring the old dual 12v setup to a better setup”.
Could you ask them what is better about the new setup and how it’s done?

interesting…
I couldn't get the tech to come out so was mostly talking to the public facing guy who is always in the office managing the computers... when I asked he said there was a "customer satisfaction bulletin" that came up when he entered my VIN and so they "updated" the 12v.... I dug a little but didn't really get anything concrete. I have the tech's Rivian email and I can shoot over the question and see what the response is and share back.
Sponsored