Rivian R1S / R1T - 12V Battery Installation (Ohmmu) Replacement battery

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I don't need new 12V's at this time but came across this video from Ohmmu with a replacement kit for the R1's with LiFePO4 batteries for $499.00.

Has anyone tried these or other Li 12V's yet?

Sponsored

Reactions: Ash

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I saw that video too. Supposedly they have built-in heating to keep the batteries in the optimal temp range. Would be interested to see how they perform. I can't see a reason to upgrade at this point though.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
The problems we've seen with the 12V system on Rivians are not because of the batteries themselves, so spending $ to replace the OEM batteries with "better" batteries is not going to fix anything ...

Last edited:

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Yeah the Tesla system was designed around the 15.5v battery. These batteries have their own BMS and I wouldn't be surprised if they caused issues with the Rivian. I also don't see any real benefits other than weight savings.

Sponsored

zigzagzap

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maserati QP, Porsche GTS, BMW X5, R1S
Occupation
Financial
This has been a concern of mine for sometime watching the software issue followed by a software hot-fix.

I took delivery of my R1S on 6/2 (1645 days from placing deposit) and the guide informed me that the two 12V batteries are now gone from the configuration. I have not confirmed this but she spoke like she knew what she was speaking about. So fear not Rivianders not need to replace batteries on the newer R1s.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
This has been a concern of mine for sometime watching the software issue followed by a software hot-fix.

I took delivery of my R1S on 6/2 (1645 days from placing deposit) and the guide informed me that the two 12V batteries are now gone from the configuration. I have not confirmed this but she spoke like she knew what she was speaking about. So fear not Rivianders not need to replace batteries on the newer R1s.
I'd be very surprised if that were the case, if you pull off the cowl you can verify.

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
This is correct, when my R1T was at the SC to replace the 12v batteries I asked for a tech to show me how to emergency jump and manually release the frunk. He had recently been to the factory in Normal and confirmed newer builds had a single 12v battery opposed to the two in earlier builds.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

This is correct, when my R1T was at the SC to replace the 12v batteries I asked for a tech to show me how to emergency jump and manually release the frunk. He had recently been to the factory in Normal and confirmed newer builds had a single 12v battery opposed to the two in earlier builds.
Interesting. I'll have to pull mine off. Mine is a March built 23 model.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper