RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Welp, my dudes, I've done it. I have successfully replaced the POS wireless charging pad with a Magsafe / Magenetic Qi chaging pad that functions correctly. It's 100% powered using the existing lead in the wireless charging pad cavity and does not require using the USB-C ports in the center console.

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup ezgif.com-gif-maker

The phone in the video is an iPhone 13 Pro with an Otterbox Lumen case on it. In addition to charging, it also holds the phone in location reasonably well. The solution is basically a combination of a few different parts:
  1. A third-party Magsafe / Magnetic Qi charger. This charger was selected because it holds (much) stronger than the Apple OEM part and it has a comparibly small pigtail with a USB-C female port on it.
  2. A 12-24V to 5V DC-DC converter. This takes the 12v raw power from the truck and steps it down to the point where the charging pad can accept it. It also has a USB-C male end and is QC 3.0 which means that it puts out more than 3A, which is a requirement for just about any wireless charging pad.
  3. A 3D printed shelf that I designed which holds the charging pad to the same level as the the POS charging pad. This is important so that the Rivian rubber mat installs as normal.
  4. Two posi-tap connectors to splice into the stock wiring with no adverse effects.

On the inside, it looks like this:
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0434.JPG

(Please ignore the finish on the top of the plate - it's printed in PETG and I unfortunately have to use glue to get the first layer to adhere to my glass build plate.)

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0436.JPG

In doing this, I've learned a few things:
  • Either the plate or the pad need to be able to slide forward and back to account for the different thicknesses of cases. For instance, I have a thin case on my iPhone and my wife has the Otterbox. My current design necessitated that I cut the deck of the 3D printed plate to account for the larger phone. That's no bueno.
  • Tapping into the POS pad wiring was surprisingly difficult due to the very small gauge of the wires they uses. (26? 28?) They are quite tiny considering the significantly higher wattage that POS pad pulled. I had to be very mindful when screwing down the posi-tap as the wires really wanted to just bend out of the way.
  • Wiring is a problem, from a space perspective. I'm glad I chose to use these items instead of a 'on the desk' pad with a 6 ft cable or whatever. The limited depth of the cavity and the bulkiness of the cables wouldn't go together well, especially considering the shelf just sits in there.
  • Heat doesn't seem to be an issue at all. In my testing (YMMV) everything was room temperature or very, very slightly warm. I don't see a need for a fan like what was in the old POS pad.
Going forward, I have a few plans:
  1. I need to revise the design of the 3D printed shelf so it can adjust for smaller and larger phones / cases.
  2. I need to create a second design for a solo charger, not the dual variety that I've printed for myself.
  3. I'm going to wire in a second pad and do a stress test with warm temperatures out doors charging two phones at the same time.
  4. I may see if I can source the components here in bulk for a group buy or similar. If you're interested, please post below. Right now, everything here is pretty hard to come by, and the posi-taps are stupid expensive if you're looking for lower quantities.
That's it. Happy to answer any questions!
Sponsored

Last edited:

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
This is awesome! Count me in for the dual version if you decide to distribute it! Any chance you could track down the other side of the connector the factory pad uses to avoid tapping the wires?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This is awesome! Count me in for the dual version if you decide to distribute it! Any chance you could track down the other side of the connector the factory pad uses to avoid tapping the wires?
I have a few on the way in now. The connector is designed to be soldered directly to a board though, so I may not be able to do much with it.

Suggestions on this are welcome too!

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Current design of the shelf. It's printing now. Hopefully it will work well.

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup Screenshot 2022-06-24 201559

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
Welp, my dudes, I've done it. I have successfully replaced the POS wireless charging pad with a Magsafe / Magenetic Qi chaging pad that functions correctly. It's 100% powered using the existing lead in the wireless charging pad cavity and does not require using the USB-C ports in the center console.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

The phone in the video is an iPhone 13 Pro with an Otterbox Lumen case on it. In addition to charging, it also holds the phone in location reasonably well. The solution is basically a combination of a few different parts:
  1. A third-party Magsafe / Magnetic Qi charger. This charger was selected because it holds (much) stronger than the Apple OEM part and it has a comparibly small pigtail with a USB-C female port on it.
  2. A 12-24V to 5V DC-DC converter. This takes the 12v raw power from the truck and steps it down ever further to the point where the charging pad can accept it. It also has a USB-C male end and is QC 3.0 which means that it puts out more than 3A, which is a requirement for just about any wireless charging pad.
  3. A 3D printed shelf that I designed which holds the charging pad to the same level as the the POS charging pad. This is important so that the Rivian rubber mat installs as normal.
  4. Two posi-tap connectors to splice into the stock wiring with no adverse effects.

IMG_0434.JPG

(Please ignore the finish on the top of the plate - it's printed in PETG and I unfortunately have to use glue to get the first layer to adhere to my glass build plate.)

IMG_0436.JPG

• Either the plate or the pad need to be able to slide forward and back to account for the different thicknesses of cases. For instance, I have a thin case on my iPhone and my wife has the Otterbox. My current design necessitated that I cut the deck of the 3D printed plate to account for the larger phone. That's no bueno.
  • Tapping into the POS pad wiring was surprisingly difficult due to the very small gauge of the wires they uses. (26? 28?) They are quite tiny considering the significantly higher wattage that POS pad pulled. I had to be very mindful when screwing down the posi-tap as the wires really wanted to just bend out of the way.
  • Wiring is a problem, from a space perspective. I'm glad I chose to use these items instead of a 'on the desk' pad with a 6 ft cable or whatever. The limited depth of the cavity and the bulkiness of the cables wouldn't go together well, especially considering the shelf just sits in there.
  • Heat doesn't seem to be an issue at all. In my testing (YMMV) everything was room temperature or very, very slightly warm. I don't see a need for a fan like what was in the old POS pad.
  1. I need to revise the design of the 3D printed shelf so it can adjust for smaller and larger phones / cases.
  2. I need to create a second design for a solo charger, not the dual variety that I've printed for myself.
  3. I'm going to wire in a second pad and do a stress test with warm temperatures out doors charging two phones at the same time.
  4. I may see if I can source the components here in bulk for a group buy or similar. If you're interested, please post below. Right now, everything here is pretty hard to come by, and the posi-taps are stupid expensive if you're looking for lower quantities.
What an awesome job you did. Very impressive!

Sponsored

whereismyr1t

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

2. A 12-24V to 5V DC-DC converter. This takes the 12v raw power from the truck and steps it down ever further to the point where the charging pad can accept it. It also has a USB-C male end and is QC 3.0 which means that it puts out more than 3A, which is a requirement for just about any wireless charging pad.

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

Great job. I would be interested.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I would also be interested in a dual pad.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Subscribed and waiting for the group buy

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Great job! I’d be interested in either a single or dual!

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Nice work! I'm interested in a dual.

Sponsored

R1Thrilled

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T El Cap, 20" AT
This is awesome! I would definitely be interested in a dual

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Interested in dual!

Last edited:

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Add me in the list for dual :)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Dual, for me. This os definitely any area I want a reliable solution.

dwildpdx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
United States Navy

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

2. A 12-24V to 5V DC-DC converter. This takes the 12v raw power from the truck and steps it down to the point where the charging pad can accept it. It also has a USB-C male end and is QC 3.0 which means that it puts out more than 3A, which is a requirement for just about any wireless charging pad.

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

Yep! Put me down for a dual as well! This is what I’ve been waiting for!
Sponsored