Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales and BD
That was quick.
PXL_20221001_144336692.jpg

PXL_20221001_144724995.jpg
PXL_20221001_144250716.jpg
Were you able to mount the Nokian's and do you think this will be OK? I'm getting concerned about the availability of Rivian 20" wheels to build a complete winter wheel set. But I also don't want to pull the trigger on $1800 of tires if they won't work with my 22" rims.

Appreciate the groups thoughts on how to handle snow and ice this winter.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Were you able to mount the Nokian's and do you think this will be OK? I'm getting concerned about the availability of Rivian 20" wheels to build a complete winter wheel set. But I also don't want to pull the trigger on $1800 of tires if they won't work with my 22" rims.

I haven't had them mounted yet. I called service prior to dropping my R1T off asking if they would be able to sell me an additional set of wheels, and the guy on the phone said they got some information saying the wheels themselves were going to be available to purchase off the gear shop last Friday. Well that hasn't happened yet.

We still have a few weeks before we generally get snow here, and worst case I can just drive a different vehicle for a few days since I have snows for all of them.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I should have asked for more details, but the Denver service center said they’d sell me 20” wheels for snow tires. I’m just going to swap the tires for now, not the wheels, but that info might be valuable for someone. They confirmed they will not put non-rivian tires on the wheels (my 20” blizzaks), but think they will be able to eventually.

StefanB

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales and BD
I haven't had them mounted yet. I called service prior to dropping my R1T off asking if they would be able to sell me an additional set of wheels, and the guy on the phone said they got some information saying the wheels themselves were going to be available to purchase off the gear shop last Friday. Well that hasn't happened yet.

We still have a few weeks before we generally get snow here, and worst case I can just drive a different vehicle for a few days since I have snows for all of them.
Thanks. I'm talked with both Customer Service and my guide and they told me basically right now they don't have any guidance. I'm hoping your service center lead was right. We will start to get snow next month lower in the mountains so I'm trying to nail this down asap.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
I have the 20” AT currently. The Nokian Hakkapelitta R5 SUV seem like they would work but I can’t find any.
If you can't find the Nokian, try the X-Ice Snow. Michelin just added the 275/60R20 tire size according to their website.

Rivian R1T R1S Winter Is Coming… X-Ice Snow SUV

The R5 and the X-Ice are some of the best winter tires out there.

The best tires for snow & ice tested.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ I had X-Ice on my Plug-in-Prius and Volt.... excellent winter tires!

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I was able to get an additional set of 22" Rims ordered today. It's more expensive than I anticipated and doesn't include the price to mount and balance. It would likely be better to order another full wheel/tire set and just take-off and sell or store the extra tires. +Tax with the sensors and wheels was just over $4000.

Rivian has to program the TPMS sensors to the vehicle. They said that once that's done, I could put the wheels into storage and the computer would figure out again which wheel was mounted where when the wheels get swapped next. They can do that without the sensors being mounted in wheels on the vehicle.

Rivian support person said they will not mount non-oem tires, so I'll have to figure that one out myself. It sounds like if you were hoping to bring tires in and have Rivian do the swap on the original wheels, they won't do it.

StefanB

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales and BD
Hey all, wheels are available on the Rivian gear store. They are pricey ($4100) but the all-terrain wheels are 3 peak certified so should be good for snow. I just bought a set of 20" all terrain. Not really sure what other options I have so I'll have to chalk it up to "i plan to keep the vehicle for a bunch of years" kinda logic.

Sponsored

ForeverOnTheWaitlist

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, CRV
If you can't find the Nokian, try the X-Ice Snow. Michelin just added the 275/60R20 tire size according to their website.

The R5 and the X-Ice are some of the best winter tires out there.

The best tires for snow & ice tested.
I like them too but the current model only supports a load of 115 and the R1S at least needs 116. My local tire center wouldn't install them. The 65R20's do. I suppose they're more truck constructed so likely heavier and costlier

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Aren’t the 20” tires snow tires? They have a triple peak rating don’t they?
That doesn’t make them ‘snow tires’. 3peak and snowflake means they’ll do better than most all seasons in the snow. But true snow tires a much better.

Also, these Pirellis haven’t compared well with other 3peak and snowflake rated ATs. I’m guessing that is related to the rubber composition being more oriented to lower rolling resistance for an EV.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I have a set of the X-ice on 20" wheels in 275/60, they have a mileage warranty which is rare for a winter tire. that's for our r1s that has 22s, so I grabbed a set of 20s for winter. The tire cost and availability in 275/60 won me over.

I also have a set of Nokian hakka LT3s for my other Rivian. They were def better than the stock ATs last year.

I know someone on the forum has some Hankooks that they liked as well.

Just keep looking around on Simpletire, TireRack, and discount tire. You may want to call some local tire shops and see what they can source for you.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Michelin X-Ice with the XL rating

Smeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (Quad Motor, Granite
Occupation
physician
I like them too but the current model only supports a load of 115 and the R1S at least needs 116. My local tire center wouldn't install them. The 65R20's do. I suppose they're more truck constructed so likely heavier and costlier
the OEM 22s are 115
Sponsored