Winter Is Coming…

BDAX

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Has anyone found good options for winter tires and/or rims? Most national chain stores list “nothing is available.” My service contact says Rivian hasn’t figured out when they will make any tires and/or rims available in the Gear Shop.

I live in MN and on a very, very steep hill. Chains and studs are not an option. I have the 20” AT currently. The Nokian Hakkapelitta R5 SUV seem like they would work but I can’t find any.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

adamthp

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
I’m leaning towards some blizzacks. If you search tire rack by size they pop up.

I run the 21s, but scored a set of 20” rims from a forum member. I’m planning to run undersized at 275/60 20 to keep the same diameter as the 21s. In that size the blizzack dm-v2 is available.

The Hakkas have had a premium reputation for years. In a former life I raced rally cars and back to back tested damn near every available winter tire. In that situation the blizzack definitely performed better than the Hakkas.

I would imagine the range penalty will be greater with the blizzacks over the Hakkas, but here in the UP I’ll take grip over range 99% of the time.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I ordered a set of the R5 SUV in 22 from tires-easy. Should be here next week. Plan on trying to get Rivian to put them on when my truck goes in for service in November since they are going to be fixing the alignment then. Hoping to get another set of wheels but my guide said they are having supply issues with the wheels right now and it would mean not being able to sell another truck.

Last edited:

RivianNowPlz

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, Tesla
Has anyone found good options for winter tires and/or rims? Most national chain stores list “nothing is available.” My service contact says Rivian hasn’t figured out when they will make any tires and/or rims available in the Gear Shop.

I live in MN and on a very, very steep hill. Chains and studs are not an option. I have the 20” AT currently. The Nokian Hakkapelitta R5 SUV seem like they would work but I can’t find any.

Any help is appreciated.
I live in Minnesota, my current 3 vehicles are a Tesla Model S, Raptor 37 & Subaru Ascent.

My Tesla I just threw on last winter the Michelin CrossClimate2 that EngineeringExplain tested and I’m convinced now having them on almost a year that they are the best all year winter tire. If you can get those tires on the R1S which I haven’t looked into yet - I’ll be doing it immediately.

My Raptor has 37” K02s and never had an issue with K02s in the winter on my new Raptor or my old one on 35s.

My Subarus tires are meh but the Subaru is the one AWD system I’ve used where tires while always the most important trait for traction seems to come in side by side with the car itself for traction. My last set of tires even bald my Subaru just plowed through whatever. I’m hoping the R1S is similar but I feel as if the R1S will resemble my Tesla Model S more than the Subaru which is why I will likely throw on the previously mentioned Michelins but I will likely at least give the stocks a winter storm or two to see how they handle the slush, the wet, the ice, the deep stuff and when frozen over. Gotta do the full test.

Sponsored

Honorz

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MY, 2018 Q7 , 2015 Q5 TDI,
Nokian have tires that say they are rated for R1T/ R1S.
I already have the 20s- so will roll with those since they are triple peak rated.

parkside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1-T and several ICE
Occupation
Business Owner
I have the 20’s and am going to try the OEM tires. I am in the Northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan.

I am not sure how much I will drive it in the snow as I have a winter dedicated Audi Q7 with Blizzak’s and a Range Rover with the Cross Climate 2’s…

I do not want to derail the thread, but I think the bigger issue is the braking. There are times in the snow that the last thing you want is to apply the brakes. Can anyone comment on that?

And I think Hakka’s or Nokians are great. Big difference driving all the winter compound tires.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have the 20’s and am going to try the OEM tires. I am in the Northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan.

I am not sure how much I will drive it in the snow as I have a winter dedicated Audi Q7 with Blizzak’s and a Range Rover with the Cross Climate 2’s…

I do not want to derail the thread, but I think the bigger issue is the braking. There are times in the snow that the last thing you want is to apply the brakes. Can anyone comment on that?

And I think Hakka’s or Nokians are great. Big difference driving all the winter compound tires.
Not applying the brakes is easy. Just don't lift your foot completely off the accelerator pedal.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That was quick.
Rivian R1T R1S Winter Is Coming… PXL_20221001_144336692

Rivian R1T R1S Winter Is Coming… PXL_20221001_144724995
Rivian R1T R1S Winter Is Coming… PXL_20221001_144250716

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I’m picking up some LT blizzaks in the 20” size today. I’ll probably install in early November and will try to measure efficiency changes in the colder weather with the tires. Hoping the ride isn’t too impacted but we will see.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Any help is appreciated.
All the stock of R5 SUV seems to be gone, even here.
Stock 20” AT should hold out for a winter. I’ve never bothered with dedicated winters on a truck. Just severe service rated(3PMSF) all terrains year round.

I know of two people who’ve done winters on a truck or jeep, both went back to ATs.

if you want something more aggressive than the stock AT, goodyear duratracs come in the same size and are quite good in winter. They do get VERY loud once they start to wear.

StefanB

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales and BD
I generally like to have a wheelset rather than swap tires. Since we can't get OEM rims yet has anyone found an alternative? I have the 22" wheels on my R1S so worst case is I can get the R5 SUV tires.

OP
OP

BDAX

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Aren’t the 20” tires snow tires? They have a triple peak rating don’t they?
Yes, but there is still a variety of performance past that. I am looking for something that is a dedicate winter tire, not one that meets the minimum requirements for the triple peak designation.

OP
OP

BDAX

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I like the idea of going
That was quick.
PXL_20221001_144336692.jpg

PXL_20221001_144724995.jpg
PXL_20221001_144250716.jpg
I like the idea of going with the 275/50/R22 for the dedicated winter given it is a narrow wheel/tire than my 20”. And, frankly, the tires are available. Now I just need to find dedicated 22” rims to go with them. Any suggestions?
Sponsored