Sponsored

Wind Noise

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
Anyone else's tech try to shift the door inward to deflect wind noise? No, just me?
Yes. It didn't help with the wind noise but it did cause the rear door to scratch against the front door in the summer when the metal expanded.
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes. It didn't help with the wind noise but it did cause the rear door to scratch against the front door in the summer when the metal expanded.
[/QUOTE

It maybe helped a tiny bit. But now the fender isnā€™t quite as flush as it was. šŸ˜•. Rather have a little more wind noise than that.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I have what I think is the ā€œfront appliquĆ©ā€ wind noise. I say ā€œI thinkā€ because it has to go 96 miles, 3 hours & $30+ in tolls each way to the SC for Rivian to want to look at it. Iā€™ll wait until thereā€™s more pressing issues. But I noticed tonight when I reached up to adjust my rear view a bit, there was definitely a cold draft coming down from the headliner area. So confidence is high.

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
I wonder if a great auto glass place could do some aftermarket work to improve it beyond what Rivian is willing to cover as acceptable? I'd definitely pay a premium to reduce wind noise at highway speeds.

Jay565

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hyundai
I have the R1S and same problem lots of wind noise at speeds especially above 60mph. It seems to occur on both passenger and driver sides so maybe its the headliner not really sure. It really is a problem makes an amazing car feel less luxurious on the highway. Not sure what can be done but I submitted a ticket.

Sponsored

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I have the R1S and same problem lots of wind noise at speeds especially above 60mph. It seems to occur on both passenger and driver sides so maybe its the headliner not really sure. It really is a problem makes an amazing car feel less luxurious on the highway. Not sure what can be done but I submitted a ticket.
I submitted the ticket and talked to service rep SEVERAL times. They said it's normal and refused to address it.

I guess your mileage may vary depending on who you talk to. I am at Atalnta Service center.

Jay565

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hyundai
I submitted the ticket and talked to service rep SEVERAL times. They said it's normal and refused to address it.

I guess your mileage may vary depending on who you talk to. I am at Atalnta Service center.
Yeah Iā€™m in Southern California, I agree hard for them to address unless I go in with specific issue, so far I did notice the headliner and roof are not entirely even from passenger side to drivers side, Imma to cover it with tape and see if that improves the wind noise. If it does I can at least go in to the service center and let them know exactly where I think the problem is.

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise C9704E8F-A5AB-4DA5-B827-4A7BB8575260

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yeah Iā€™m in Southern California, I agree hard for them to address unless I go in with specific issue, so far I did notice the headliner and roof are not entirely even from passenger side to drivers side, Imma to cover it with tape and see if that improves the wind noise. If it does I can at least go in to the service center and let them know exactly where I think the problem is.

C9704E8F-A5AB-4DA5-B827-4A7BB8575260.jpeg
Well, for what it's worth, I did mention about the forums and other owners complaining.

They hop on my car and asked me to drive above 50+ miles. We drove around the locals at round 50+ miles, and they are saying it's normal...

He said Tesla is worse, and it's just how Rivian is....

I talked about other cars that I drove and doesn't have this loud wind noise, and his answer was Rivian is a new company and theirs aren't as good as others..

Nothing much they can do..

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Install some painters tape over that gap and go for a spin. If the wind noise is eliminated you found the root cause.

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T launch edition 20" AT Carbon wrap
Occupation
CFO
To try to help us all figure out what is normal and what is not can a few others download a decibel meter app and see what the noise level is compared to mine. This was on a smooth highway driving 77mph with phone sitting on the charging area, not near any other vehicle that would be heard in my car. the app takes the average of however long you let it run. I ran it a few times for like a min and constantly found a noise level of 67 decibels.

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise dec

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
To try to help us all figure out what is normal and what is not can a few others download a decibel meter app and see what the noise level is compared to mine. This was on a smooth highway driving 77mph with phone sitting on the charging area, not near any other vehicle that would be heard in my car. the app takes the average of however long you let it run. I ran it a few times for like a min and constantly found a noise level of 67 decibels.

dec.png
That's what I'm getting at about 65-70, so I'd say that's not bad at 77. The app I have has decibels inside a car average is 75 dB

RobR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone had major wind noise to the point of annoyance? I'm not sure where it is coming from but anytime I'm over 45mph it is like I'm in Wyoming. It's either the windshield and/or both door A pillar seals. I've put in a service request. We'll see what happens.
Do you have the roof rack? I have those and they make a lot of wind noise.

Jpdesmond

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch , 20ā€ AT , el cap
Occupation
Chillin
Has anyone had major wind noise to the point of annoyance? I'm not sure where it is coming from but anytime I'm over 45mph it is like I'm in Wyoming. It's either the windshield and/or both door A pillar seals. I've put in a service request. We'll see what happens.
Yes! My driver side is soo noisy I initially thought it was just going to be something I had to deal with, was having a hard time accepting it could be something 'wrong' with my new truck. When I sat in the passenger side while my SO was driving, it was 100% quieter so I knew something was off. I can tell right where the wind noise is coming from in the top right corner of the driver side window area, and not the crossbars or anything related to the expected add ons on the truck. I tried pushing on the siding, manually pushing up the window, etc and nothing but I have a service center appointment to address this on Tuesday of next week. Hoping it's a quick fix but I cannot wait to drive it when it's not noisy with wind.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The noise on my R1T is air noise around the "quarter vent window" (the front triangle of glass in the front doors, adjacent to the A-pillar and windshield.) It appears to be a matter of the seals simply not connecting with enough pressure to keep the air-pressure outside from buffeting through the door.
It appears some vehicles are much worse than others. The "updated" parts installed in my truck were not effective. It's a design and materials problem that should be easily rectified.
A pity to hear this defect is still present in the R1S.
My R1T goes in next month for a 3rd attempt.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Mine ( VIN 31xx) has been in several times for "correction". It has never really changed since new. Tonight we were coming back from a dinner and it was about 100mi on smooth interstate highway. I set the app "Decibel X" to record a baseline for me as well as anybody else who wants to get this figured out. I have no roof racks, I have 21" tires, and there were no cross winds. The phone was placed in the middle of the charging deck and I recorded for a period of 1.5 min. The average dB recording was 78.8 dB and the max hit was 84.8 dB. I felt the window along the top edge and it was extremely cold probably indicating where the leak is. Next step is that I will apply painter's tape to the window/frame and record again using the same parameters. I thought I was maybe expecting too much, but the 67 dB @ 77 mph that you found is far better, so I will search for the answer.
Sponsored