Wind Noise

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Mine is in with service. Frankly, it's a bit of a list and I've written too much and spoken too much about it. Long and short is..

Wind noise suddenly was bonkers. Drivers A pillar. (replacing seal) the seal was all wonky, windows wouldn't even seat itself over 35 mph.

Tiger striping on the hood ( LA silver) I've mentioned to Rivian multiple times and multiple times it was swept under rug. I politely out my foot down in person. At service appt. ( is it weird the gentleman who signed me in didn't one time, not literally one time, look me in the eye?) I found it quite odd for a person who is literally the face of the company when you are going over your service tickets etc... Perhaps it's nothing to some.

I share some of the original posters opinions. Lots of miscommunication within Rivian, and the buggy software is becoming annoying on a daily basis. Yes. I've hard and soft reset many times and well support, they do their best to help, yet in the end it is what it is. Buggy and inconsistent.

I do like the truck, the hardware. It drives well, the suspension squeaks a lot (they told me it's NORMAL) , roomy entry half the time doesn't restore my seat position... I could go on... Yet I digress... Time will tell. I believe in choices, let me choose my charge level exactly. Take what competitors have done and elevate it a notch.

And for the love of all things, give us an aux in, or USB input. Not the (it's coming) dialogue. This should have been there from the start. This was in development for years.

Yes. I know I, like many, am an early adopter, and this comes with the territory.Yet, it's 75+ thousand dollars. Let's dial this in.

Be well out there people. Fingers crossed updates get better.
March 2022 delivery? Yep, Tiger striping was an issue for LA Silver and El Cap. Are you just now getting them to look at it?
Sponsored

Horseytime

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LA Silver 20" AT- Launch Edition
March 2022 delivery? Yep, Tiger striping was an issue for LA Silver and El Cap. Are you just now getting them to look at it?
Indeed. I had brought it up when other small issues had arisen early. I had confidence it would be addressed, I was just curious how long it would drag out. I didn't think it would be a year. Seems as though no-one wanted to truly deal with it or speculating there might be pressure from up above to not go crazy on service tickets that could be avoided? Obviously I don't know. I do wonder though, why it was never picked up on.

The day before my service appt I called Rivian to confirm everything on the list to be addressed. Also to confirm a loaner or rental was in place as the service center is about an hour and 40 minutes away from me.

Curiously when I'm sitting down after about a 40 minute wait to be seen (I was 15 min early for a 10am appt, and was asked to sit and wait as I was early, and was called up at about 10:25 with an apology), the one thing on the list missing was the paint.

When I informed him that I had called the day before to literally go over every item on the list to be sure everyone was on the same page I told him at this point "a year into this I'm feeling a little suspicious that no one wants to handle this problem" and curious as to why is he asking if I need wheels, as I had gone over this on the phone, and was told everything was all set.

Fortunately I had a year worth of photos of the stripes on hood and above passenger windows saved in an album literally titled 'Rivian Tiger' which I showed him and a technician who drove with me to hear what I was hearing when driving.

They called me and asked for the photos two days ago, (already a week in for the other issues) as it's headed soon to the body shop for this issue hopefully.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I seriously don't know how they haven't figured this out yet. A smoke pencil and a fan would do the trick...no?
So when my truck was in Brooklyn for other work in addition to the wind news, they gave me a litany of excuses why they “might not be able to find it” (they didn’t):
- They are limited how fast they can drive in the area around the SC. The nearest “highways” have low speed limits (45-50) that they can’t exceed during a test drive.
-They need two techs for the test drive, one to drive and one to look for the noise.
-They use an “ultrasonic microphone” during the test drive to try and ferret out the noise, and sometimes that doesn’t find anything.

Well, I can tell you, in my truck there is no “microphone” or “ferreting” required during any drive at highway speeds to discern this noise, but nevertheless the truck came back with a “could not reproduce”. 🤬

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Has anyone tried this with results?
I thought most my noise was coming from top of windshield. I used one of the mentioned items for the top of the windshield and the front of the pano roof which closed the gap. Minimal difference. My truck sounds like I’m in a 100mph wind tunnel when going 60. Don’t know if it’s overall shape of the vehicle or panel misalignment catching wind.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I thought most my noise was coming from top of windshield. I used one of the mentioned items for the top of the windshield and the front of the pano roof which closed the gap. Minimal difference. My truck sounds like I’m in a 100mph wind tunnel when going 60. Don’t know if it’s overall shape of the vehicle or panel misalignment catching wind.
hmm...I get the spot in front of the pano....that's where my noise is but only really noticeable at 70+...blue painters tape across that area worked for me, but I can live without it....have you tried taping up to the left and right of the windshield? that area catches a lot of wind. Its possible the two shiny black pieces of trim adjacent to the windshield also aren't fully seated maybe.

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
hmm...I get the spot in front of the pano....that's where my noise is but only really noticeable at 70+...blue painters tape across that area worked for me, but I can live without it....have you tried taping up to the left and right of the windshield? that area catches a lot of wind. Its possible the two shiny black pieces of trim adjacent to the windshield also aren't fully seated maybe.
Will try this and post back. Thanks

nicus90

First Name
Nicu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I just got my R1T initially did not observed but after driving a little bit start observing when passing 60 mph strange wind noise is coming from driver side upper part window. Driving at 70+ mph on freeway this is becoming an annoying issue for me.

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 23 MY
I just found the biggest culprit for my wind noise. It was coming from the vertical rubber piece on the triangle window. I looked closely yesterday and noticed that the rubber piece wasn't completely straight and seated against the window. It was off the window by only a small amount. With the window open, I massaged it by pushing it in and towards the car. Took it for a drive and it is now pretty quiet.

Hope this helps some of you. Quick test would be to just put painters tape over that area and go for a drive. Would've been nice to have found this out before my 2600 road trip last week....

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise PXL_20230616_150606958

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise PXL_20230616_150604682

NachoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep SRT
Occupation
Rivan pre-order hodl'er
For the front side window: had success taking off the vertical trim piece, removing the random glue spots. Filled the void with black silicne and reattached the trim. This helped much more than the 2x they replaced the triangle glass/trim.

Still dealing with noise r/t front door seal, seems to be near top rear corner of window.

Solved most of roof noise by using gorilla tape. Tried weatherstripping with meh results. And I siliconed the entire windshield and roof.

Wind noise... if you've got it, it's obvious. Those that say "it's not that bad" obviously are either deaf or lucked out.
Sponsored