Wind Noise

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Tried the search button and I know I have seen a thread on this here and there...but what is the prescriptive fix for this? Have a service visit scheduled for a few weeks to change out the skid plate.
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Either triangle window trim need replacement, or appliqué above front windshield is not higher than glass roof…or the huge gaps to left and right of A-pillar and windshield…they catch a lot of wind.

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
I brought our truck into service and they said it is normal and all trucks have it (above 60mph driver‘s side). I’ve experimented with covering with electrical tape some of the gaps on the Triangle window (upper and lower) and the seams on the mirror and it seems to reduce but not completely eliminate the noise. I wish there was a better solution.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Either triangle window trim need replacement, or appliqué above front windshield is not higher than glass roof…or the huge gaps to left and right of A-pillar and windshield…they catch a lot of wind.
Am I right in thinking these are now both fixed at the factory so they should not be needed as fixes on new builds?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I brought our truck into service and they said it is normal and all trucks have it (above 60mph driver‘s side). I’ve experimented with covering with electrical tape some of the gaps on the Triangle window (upper and lower) and the seams on the mirror and it seems to reduce but not completely eliminate the noise. I wish there was a better solution.
That answer from Rivian is unacceptable.

My November 2022 build does not suffer from annoying wind noise. The Rivian designers and engineers went to great lengths to help eliminate wind noise during development.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH

My November 2022 build does not suffer from annoying wind noise. The Rivian designers and engineers went to great lengths to help eliminate wind noise during development.
Agreed! That answer is one or more of
uninformed
willfully ignorant
disingenuous
idiotic

Try an F-150 at 75 mph … far quieter than my R1T at 55 mph.

Rivian screwed up the R1 front end design and didn't do the necessary development. Hopefully the R1.1 brings all the usual iterative design advances for future owners to have premium vehicle NVH levels.

I've had the A pillar noise "fixed" to an "acceptable" (pfft!) level and chalk it up to "such is the way of being an early adopter" but for field service staff to let this kind of drivel out of their face is not the way forward.

2022 was a long damn year of bad news and bad faith from Rivian, and 2023 is not off to a great start … the problems are in engineering (software and hardware) exacerbated by utterly feeble communications trying to lip-service their way out of one predicament after another caused by failures in the executive team and the boardroom.

From de-contenting to misplaced priorities (e.g. failing to get the factory construction started and now … an electric bicycle?) while excusing delays and shortfalls, there's some goings on at Rivian that are inconsistent with their outwardly stated purpose of building the R1 and the EDV (or creating value in $RIVN.)

Last edited:

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine is appropriate for a $75k vehicle. As a data point. Not silent, but very acceptable.

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired

the funny thing is I didn’t hear it at first but then they replaced some window/door seals that weren’t seated well and the noise started. I will go back but want to try to pin point the noise so they can deal with it vs pass the buck.

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Granted...the lack of any engine noise doesn't help Rivian's case...but my Sierra 2500 has less wind noise and MUCH bigger mirrors.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Am I right in thinking these are now both fixed at the factory so they should not be needed as fixes on new builds?
When my early build R1T was fixed (the third time was the charm) the tech said the later vehicles were just the same and it was a production quality issue. Sometimes the vehicle was correctly assembled, sometimes there were QA misses.

As we surveyed a service parking lot parked two and four rows deep, he said "almost all of these are newer ones."

I take that as half full and half empty. Half full because it means people with earlier builds on the road for a few months are not coming back for quality and reliability issues (which can mean those problems are fixed or the user becomes resigned to whatever faults are not being resolved.) Half empty because the production line should strive for "defect free," not "let the service centers take up the slack" which is both a gyp for the new user and a heavy cost.

Of course, with Rivian selling each unit at a significant loss, the call for efficiency and profitability must be heard by people throughout the organization, not just the shift workers on the assembly line; their contribution to cost control is a single percentage.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Granted...the lack of any engine noise doesn't help Rivian's case...but my Sierra 2500 has less wind noise and MUCH bigger mirrors.
Right! I have an F-150 with tow mirrors. It's always been an impressively quiet vehicle without diminishing that quality by saying "for a pickup" … compared to a Mercedes GL, it's damn quiet, compared to a Model X, it's quiet. The loudest thing on it is the tires. There's no A-pillar buffeting. Ford, RAM, GM … they've all had decades and they have (in the last 10 years …) finally made these ancient ladder framed behemoths behave like modern vehicles.

This is where I'll credit the R1T with excellent suspension and handling. It's still 7000lbs and that's never going to be great for changing direction. But it's certainly stable and predictable, and responds to control inputs without the delay and disguise inherent in large vehicles.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I haven’t a clue. Not sure what OPs vin range is

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
I can hear wind noise, but not sure it's worse than my other cars, or if it's just cause I can actually hear it without the engine. Now, when I put my Rivian roof rack on, that's another story. That thing whistles like crazy.

bagsofcole

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
El Cap/OC R1T, FOR SALE: 2017 Tesla Model S 90D
Occupation
Network Engineer
Mine is noisy too, but with the SC over an hour away, I'll just turn up the radio. Now if I could just figure out Spotify...

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
My headliner was loose and adjusting the magnet connectors helped quite a bit but there is still wind noise intrusion. They are also replacing the roof panel between the windshield and the glass roof next week “yours is really bad” they say this should help as well, but the quiet nature of the car will always mean there’s noise. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sponsored