First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
In my case, I think the window seals are the culprit. At least these need to be addressed before I chase other issues.

Where exactly do you apply the 1/2" material in the window frame? It looks like the idea is to cause the window to fit tighter against the existing seal, which would mean the 1/2" material is pushing the window out when fully closed. Or, are we adding material to the existing seal to cause the window to push in when fully closed?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
I seriously don't know how they haven't figured this out yet. A smoke pencil and a fan would do the trick...no?

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I seriously don't know how they haven't figured this out yet. A smoke pencil and a fan would do the trick...no?
I think it's a case of the engineering not translating to the build process.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
In my case, I think the window seals are the culprit. At least these need to be addressed before I chase other issues.

Where exactly do you apply the 1/2" material in the window frame? It looks like the idea is to cause the window to fit tighter against the existing seal, which would mean the 1/2" material is pushing the window out when fully closed. Or, are we adding material to the existing seal to cause the window to push in when fully closed?
I don’t know if this is right or not. I watched the video a bunch and took screenshots but could not tell. So I did the pictures below. I’ve not had a change to drive any distance so I can’t tell if it makes much difference.
Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise D417853B-5DAC-454E-AE62-7C40A3685073
Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise 92B1AF1F-42E9-47A4-8D39-E30EAB9FDC8F
Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise E5F58BDB-675D-458E-BDF0-850047A51145
Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise 715D7B7D-B576-4B4D-952F-E286419678ED
Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise 8842826C-7B5C-44B3-BA91-96F036D3DA01

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
Agreed! That answer is one or more of
uninformed
willfully ignorant
disingenuous
idiotic

Try an F-150 at 75 mph … far quieter than my R1T at 55 mph.

Rivian screwed up the R1 front end design and didn't do the necessary development. Hopefully the R1.1 brings all the usual iterative design advances for future owners to have premium vehicle NVH levels.

I've had the A pillar noise "fixed" to an "acceptable" (pfft!) level and chalk it up to "such is the way of being an early adopter" but for field service staff to let this kind of drivel out of their face is not the way forward.

2022 was a long damn year of bad news and bad faith from Rivian, and 2023 is not off to a great start … the problems are in engineering (software and hardware) exacerbated by utterly feeble communications trying to lip-service their way out of one predicament after another caused by failures in the executive team and the boardroom.

From de-contenting to misplaced priorities (e.g. failing to get the factory construction started and now … an electric bicycle?) while excusing delays and shortfalls, there's some goings on at Rivian that are inconsistent with their outwardly stated purpose of building the R1 and the EDV (or creating value in $RIVN.)
If it was a design flaw, every vehicle would have it. Some don’t.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
If it was a design flaw, every vehicle would have it. Some don’t.
do we know that? It’s not as if door weatherstripping doesn’t accommodate some joint movement.

gotta be a damn big gap to make a door whistle so something is jacked up.

seen cars with tweaked frames and doors that don’t shut with less wind noise.

granted…the lack of engine noise isn’t helping its cause, but someone has to have figured this “puzzle” out by now?

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
do we know that? It’s not as if door weatherstripping doesn’t accommodate some joint movement.

granted…the lack of engine noise isn’t helping its cause, but someone has to have figured this “puzzle” out by now?
Mine isn’t that loud, slight sound from roof. Some owners coming from Audi Q7s say their Rivian is quieter.

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Mine isn’t that loud, slight sound from roof. Some owners coming from Audi Q7s say their Rivian is quieter.
mines got a pretty good howls. Love the truck, but that’s the only thing.

seems like it should be “fixable”.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na

I honestly think some people are more sensitive to it than others... I didn't notice the roof noise until my damn wife pointed it out. Once she did, I couldn't unhear it lol.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I honestly think some people are more sensitive to it than others... I didn't notice the roof noise until my damn wife pointed it out. Once she did, I couldn't unhear it lol.
I think that's the gist of it. Some people are not attuned to some types of NVH.

I think it's a design fault. Rivian seems to think so too because they're trying to fix it with updated parts, they're not debugging beyond simple QA (to be sure the assembly is correct and complete.). The three times I've had it "fixed" the tech was familiar with the problem, had a routine approach and only on the third time did they significantly improve the driver's side. They now have tools for detecting air leaks.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just saw the bulletin for the triangle molding on NhTsA

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10232188-0001.pdf
That fixed mine....couldn't believe how quiet the truck was after that fix....then while washing noticed a long piece of painters tape covering the gap between the glass roof and the front applique....guess they forgot to take it off after diagnosing...i removed that and now only hear it from the roof...guess on really long road trips I'll replace it. ;) Over 70 or a really windy day is only time it bothers me now.

Gdorff

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi RS5
Occupation
Business owner / CIO
Well I can say after battling my wind noise issues I have located two points that have been a problem for me. (roof and possibly the windshield) any wind or driving above 45mph caused a lot of noise from the top of the truck.

I installed a piece of weather strip across the roof/roof glass and a piece on the windshield/roof facial and wow it was a huge change. (note I already had the triangle glass replaced.)

I ended up using the 19mm of this kit

32.8Ft Car Sunroof Seal T Shape Car Windshield Weather Stripping Self Adhesive Windshield Rubber Seal for Automotive Truck Roof Sunroof Front Rear Windshield (14mm+19mm) https://a.co/d/8aBgOPO

If this stuff doesn't stick for the long haul I'll probably find a more permanent solution.

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise PXL_20230413_030013686

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise PXL_20230413_014640128

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
One of my piano black A pillars wasn’t fully seated, and was causing a plethora of wind noise. After properly seating, the noise was gone.
Same thing happened to me, I pushed really hard on the passenger A pillar and heard a snap as if it were latching. It’s much more flush (like the drivers side) and wind noise is improved. Image is of before.

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise 76C21630-E475-491B-826D-01D14826329F

Horseytime

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LA Silver 20" AT- Launch Edition
Mine is in with service. Frankly, it's a bit of a list and I've written too much and spoken too much about it. Long and short is..

Wind noise suddenly was bonkers. Drivers A pillar. (replacing seal) the seal was all wonky, windows wouldn't even seat itself over 35 mph.

Tiger striping on the hood ( LA silver) I've mentioned to Rivian multiple times and multiple times it was swept under rug. I politely out my foot down in person. At service appt. ( is it weird the gentleman who signed me in didn't one time, not literally one time, look me in the eye?) I found it quite odd for a person who is literally the face of the company when you are going over your service tickets etc... Perhaps it's nothing to some.

I share some of the original posters opinions. Lots of miscommunication within Rivian, and the buggy software is becoming annoying on a daily basis. Yes. I've hard and soft reset many times and well support, they do their best to help, yet in the end it is what it is. Buggy and inconsistent.

I do like the truck, the hardware. It drives well, the suspension squeaks a lot (they told me it's NORMAL) , roomy entry half the time doesn't restore my seat position... I could go on... Yet I digress... Time will tell. I believe in choices, let me choose my charge level exactly. Take what competitors have done and elevate it a notch.

And for the love of all things, give us an aux in, or USB input. Not the (it's coming) dialogue. This should have been there from the start. This was in development for years.

Yes. I know I, like many, am an early adopter, and this comes with the territory.Yet, it's 75+ thousand dollars. Let's dial this in.

Be well out there people. Fingers crossed updates get better.
Sponsored