First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Level 4 is being demonstrated by a number of companies in a geo-fenced, speed-limited, highly defined environment with far greater sensor arrays and significantly more sophisticated software than what Tesla or any publicly available new vehicle is offering. I am guessing Level 3 will be the limit for everyday drivers and that will be restricted to some highways and heavy traffic under 35mph. Maybe level 4 in a very restricted dedicated development (retirement community).

Tesla safety claims with AutoPilot are due to higher driver awareness, limited speeds, restricted and controlled lane changes, etc.. It is a big glorified babysitter when used properly. The safety benefits are obviously not because the car is driving itself because it does not. If all cars had the same driver assistance features it would be nice. and have similar results.
Beneath the Gateway arch in St. Lois is a museum. One exhibit shows a horse drawn wagon complete with wooden spoked wheels captioned in 1865 most settlers traveled in this on a 6 month voyage to the west coast. Next to it sat a replica lunar lander module complete with astronaut wearing a space suit captioned 100 years of innovation later explorers traveled on a 3 day voyage to the Moon! I'm paraphrasing from memory here but my point is that humans have the ability to expertly drive using low quality stereo vision, self learning software and fast processor, relatively poor mechanical reaction speed. There is no principles of physics preventing a machine from performing these functions without the limitation imposed by our biology, possibly aided by sensors unavailable to people or possible not. I would not discount human ingenuity.
Their are many instances where current autonomous driving technology already far exceeds human driving EX. Drunk/ drug impared driving, inattentive driving, unlawful operation with malice, acute fatigue, etc...
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

We are buying a Rivian R1S to replace a commuter car and probably our off road vehicle.

Our Land Rover LR3 with nearly 220,000 miles has seen a lot more off-road use than is typical, and probably more than most Jeep Wranglers, if I had to guess. The air suspension in the LR3 permits a fantastic combination of highway comfort, good on-road handling, and off-road capability In comfort. The Rivian should be even better than our LR3 in almost every area we care about. I’m also looking forward to being able to go off-road in near silence.

We love exploring and often take friends with us (or did pre-COVID) so we’ll probably end up with a pinstriped $80K SUV because of the types of trails we tend to explore.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
My R1S is to replace what I used to have in my 2007 Xterra Off-Road. My X got to the point where maintenance made it unsustainable so I traded it for a Subaru Forester. I like the Forester but I'm excited to get back to something with more interior space and towing capacity.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
we’ll probably end up with a pinstriped $80K SUV because of the types of trails we tend to explore.
The first scratch is the toughest. They get less painful after that! I usually just key it before I even leave the dealer lot and get it out of the way. ?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The first scratch is the toughest. They get less painful after that! I usually just key it before I even leave the dealer lot and get it out of the way. ?
You’re 100% right! It helps that we know it’s going to happen. I expect we’ll be more careful with our R1S at first, but we intend to use its abilities because that’s why we’re buying it instead of a crossover EV.

Sponsored

Daedalus

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Acura MDX - R1S Preorder
I am thinking about getting the R1S - I am not really sure if it a good fit for me though, so I am still researching the details before committing.
It seems like it is more targeted at the adventure market segment and I hardly qualify as that.
I like the level headed CEO and appreciate the diligence in design, quality and testing (compared to another popular EV brand). But I need to know if this is the car I am willing to stick with for 10+ years. Since the R1S is released soon, I am hoping that C&D or Edmunds does a review soon.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I am thinking about getting the R1S - I am not really sure if it a good fit for me though, so I am still researching the details before committing.
It seems like it is more targeted at the adventure market segment and I hardly qualify as that.
I like the level headed CEO and appreciate the diligence in design, quality and testing (compared to another popular EV brand). But I need to know if this is the car I am willing to stick with for 10+ years. Since the R1S is released soon, I am hoping that C&D or Edmunds does a review soon.
I agree with your comments on the adventure audience. That said, I am in the same boat as you. It would be a daily driver and people mover for me, and I think it may meet those needs.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I agree with your comments on the adventure audience. That said, I am in the same boat as you. It would be a daily driver and people mover for me, and I think it may meet those needs.
While I am a mild "adventurer", this will be my daily driver. The R1S is the performance vehicle I've always wanted, but practical enough for family duty as well. Plus, there's multiple definititions of adventure...check out my signature here (visible from a computer instead of a mobile browser).

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I'm a past middle-aged engineer with a history owning eclectic vehicles and being an avid car enthusiast. Had over two dozen rides that fell into categories of hot-hatches (turbo'd 4-cyl), sporty sedans and more recently adventurous rides with Toy FJ Cruiser and 4Runner. I've always admired Teslas and vividly recall my first stop-light experience of a new Model S (when 85 was top-dog) just blasting away from my Mustang 5.0 My first dip into electrification at present is a new Honda Clarity PHEV. While it's a tame example of an EV it still wows me with the hushed rush of electric-only acceleration. Also get a kick out of having to fill-up the whopping 7-gal fuel tank about once a month.

I'm eagerly awaiting my LE R1T. I kick myself in hindsight now not placing a deposit early-on. I was at the 2018 L.A. Autoshow and recall amazement at the refined simplicity of the R1T on display. The battery/chassis displayed vertically was equally impressive. Unfortunately (now), I wasn't there for anything electric.. If given a do-over I'd plop that $1 grand deposit down in a heartbeat!

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I think you’ll see far more R1S’s used primarily as mall crawlers and kid haulers than on dirt roads, two tracks and open range mud/rock crawling. I’d compare it to the Range Rover audience. Upper income folks who want to look adventurous.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Agree with the responses above mine. It also depends on whether you’re looking for something purpose-built or not. If it’s a second a third vehicle that you want for adventuring, then maybe there are other options to consider. But my R1S will be the only vehicle in our household, so I fully expect to mall crawl and puppy haul in it, in addition to the occasional hiking and/or road trip. Off roading will likely be a try once thing to see how I like it.

Megachimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 50th Anniversary, Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Video Game Developer
I have two cars, a Porsche 911 for weekend fun and a Wrangler Rubicon for daily driving and occasional off-road adventuring.

I REALLY want an EV.

Problem is, said EV needs to replace one of the existing cars. There are no electric sports cars so finding a suitable replacement for my jeep is the goal. The R1T fits the bill. (And yes, I briefly considered a Cybertruck, but I’ve got more class than that.:)

That said, I did convince my wife to let me swap out her SUV for a new model S. So, at least I’ll get my EV fix driving her car while I wait for my Rivian.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I have two cars, a Porsche 911 for weekend fun and a Wrangler Rubicon for daily driving and occasional off-road adventuring.

I REALLY want an EV.

Problem is, said EV needs to replace one of the existing cars. There are no electric sports cars so finding a suitable replacement for my jeep is the goal. The R1T fits the bill. (And yes, I briefly considered a Cybertruck, but I’ve got more class than that.:)

That said, I did convince my wife to let me swap out her SUV for a new model S. So, at least I’ll get my EV fix driving her car while I wait for my Rivian.
If you want a new model S, you’ll be waiting a very long time. Major delays on the “refreshed“ model.

Ford Mach e and Porsche are both “sporty” and are currently available.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Or get her a Volvo V40 Recharge (or whatever they call it). Heard its a nice compact SUV and pretty darn quick!

Megachimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 50th Anniversary, Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Video Game Developer
If you want a new model S, you’ll be waiting a very long time. Major delays on the “refreshed“ model.

Ford Mach e and Porsche are both “sporty” and are currently available.
Heh, yeah, tell me about it. Luckily we’re pretty close to the front of the line for the new S and we’re in no hurry. There’s one thing I’ve learned, electric cars and patiently waiting go hand in hand.
Sponsored