Rivian R1S side view mirror positioning issue

Jonah

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
We have had our R1S for a week. So far mostly good but the mirrors are acting up. Every time a driver unlocks the vehicle and closes the door the mirrors drop to show the ground. The driver accesses the profile to adjust the mirrors back to the proper position but the save preferences icon is greyed out. Both hard and soft reboot do not correct the issue. The save preferences option will temporarily become available if the seat is repositioned but saving preferences does not solve the issue. Exiting/locking/unlocking/reentering the vehicle leads to the same situation..mirrors dip to the ground. Has anyone else seen this? Our nearest service center is over two hours away so week one and already needing to head to the shop!?!? This thing won’t last long.
Sponsored

hoss70

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban, BMW 530xi
Occupation
Consultant
Me too! Have had my R1S Performance DM Max for about ten days and noticed the same issue with the mirrors since I got it . . . have to reposition them every time I get in the car, even with the mirrors set to not fold. I am going to a mobile service visit for Forward Collision and Automatic Emergency Braking warning light that comes on at 6mph and above and disables Driver+ so planning to ask them about the mirrors at the same time. Wondering if the next OTA update may fix it . . .

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Sounds like it's just a calibration issue. If it's anything like the windows or the seats then it's a quick and easy fix.

AMaier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Ioniq 5, MX-5 ND
I've had a similar issue for maybe 6 months now. Take a video and post it back here so Rivian can see what is happening and the various modes the issue might take. They'll want the video for a ticket anyways.

Here is mine. Every time I close the door and press the break pedal it walks the mirror to one side until it maxes out and decides to go the other way. It is just the driver side and started after a series of service visits with work done inside the driver door.

I can also just keep selecting my driver profile to have it walk itself around.

hoss70

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
UPDATE with good news: I had a mobile service visit scheduled for this plus a Drive + issue and got a call from mobile service manager that they would be pushing an OTA update. With that installed and a hard reset / restart (left steering wheel button and hazard switch procedure), both my issues were totally resolved. Mobile service appointment canceled as all resolved remotely. Great experience! Shoutout to David the mobile service manager.

Sponsored

AMaier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Ioniq 5, MX-5 ND
UPDATE with good news: I had a mobile service visit scheduled for this plus a Drive + issue and got a call from mobile service manager that they would be pushing an OTA update. With that installed and a hard reset / restart (left steering wheel button and hazard switch procedure), both my issues were totally resolved.
Did they say what the update was? Is that something coming to everyone?

I just got mine back from service. They said both the vertical steering wheel adjustment motor and driver side mirror glass motor had failures and thus were going to the wrong positions. I'm not sure if that is true or if it was easier to mark them as defective and replace them than it would have been to find the issue. I've only driven a few times since then, but I haven't seen the issue since service.

hoss70

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Just latest firmware 2023.50.01 plus the hard restart. I had actually installed 50.01 prior (though did it again when pushed to me in the app) but I hadn't done the restart procedure after the prior install.

OP
OP

Jonah

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Update to the original issue for this thread. Mobile tech came out and said he had never seen anything like this. He got an engineer on the phone and ran some diagnostics (I had already updated to 2023.50.1 and had rebooted several times). The engineer figured out that there were two modules.. one that runs the mirrors and the other that runs my driver plus we’re still on the factory level of software while the rest of the car was running 2023.50.1. I didn’t go into too much detail with him but he agreed with me that the vehicle should have never left the factory that way. After a manual update to the two modules everything was working as it should. Though I should say that the driver plus is a joke compared to my model x. I honestly don’t even use it and if this is someone’s first time with this type of tech don’t be too disappointed I’m sure it will get better with an update.
Sponsored