Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I must be on the ignore list :eyeroll:
If there's a rule that multiple people can't weigh in on a topic, I'd humbly suggest that this not be the thread where we start enforcing it.
Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
If there's a rule that multiple people can't weigh in on a topic, I'd humbly suggest that this not be the thread where we start enforcing it.
Confused as to why you'd quote me and say this. I don't care who weighs in, but given I gave the same answer earlier in the thread, I think it's safe for me to assume this person must be ignoring me, hence my comment.

Is there some problem with me making that observation? Is that not allowed?

:mind_blown:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Confused as to why you'd quote me and say this. I don't care who weighs in, but given I gave the same answer earlier in the thread, I think it's safe for me to assume this person must be ignoring me, hence my comment.

Is there some problem with me making that observation? Is that not allowed?

:mind_blown:
You didn't reply to a specific post, but replied after mine so I assumed you were reacting to my comment. Mea culpa if not.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Sorry, I often don't reply to a specific post when I'm just making a general observation. Didn't intend to imply that was directed at you, I understand the confusion now.

No, I meant the OP must have me on ignore since I gave all the same information before others but was.. well... ignored. ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The winch in rivian’s app and spotted on prototypes is likely a Warn Zeon Platinum, given that it’s the only one with remote freespool control etc, and the rivian recovery gear kit is filled with Warn/factor55 goodies.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
You didn't reply to a specific post, but replied after mine so I assumed you were reacting to my comment. Mea culpa if not.
Sorry, I often don't reply to a specific post when I'm just making a general observation. Didn't intend to imply that was directed at you, I understand the confusion now.

No, I meant the OP must have me on ignore since I gave all the same information before others but was.. well... ignored. ?
I took the "ignore list" as a humorously sarcastic observation of the problem with forums: "post first, read never." : )

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

The winch in rivian’s app and spotted on prototypes is likely a Warn Zeon Platinum, given that it’s the only one with remote freespool control etc, and the rivian recovery gear kit is filled with Warn/factor55 goodies.

Thank you I was just about to post this. Given its price point Im guessing more or less the same maybe a little more as an option from Rivian.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you I was just about to post this. Given its price point Im guessing more or less the same maybe a little more as an option from Rivian.
Very curious to see how rivian prices it. If it’s similar to other accessories they’re selling, it will be basically at retail(but with installation included)….which is way better than most stuff you buy through a dealership.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Very curious to see how rivian prices it. If it’s similar to other accessories they’re selling, it will be basically at retail(but with installation included)….which is way better than most stuff you buy through a dealership.
Seems to me Rivian has planned ahead for the winch. I hope they've designed their own.

I don't know that they've got brackets or a hole for the fairlead, or power just waiting for a winch to drop in. There's the issue of interfering with the sensor operations at the front of the vehicle around the bumper, crash testing or front suspension load rating (subtracting from the Frunk rating.)

There's also the issue of whether it's off the 12V (which there would have to have a much more powerful charging source to keep up with the 3-5hp of a winch motor) or if they've gone into their motor and gearbox knowledge to make their own winch operating off the traction battery … that would something.

Since they're designing the whole vehicle and it's a flat underbody, it (sh)would be "simple" to have a couple of guides for the winch line to be routed to the rear of the vehicle (for recovery or for pulling something onto a trailer, etc.)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seems to me Rivian has planned ahead for the winch. I hope they've designed their own.

I don't know that they've got brackets or a hole for the fairlead, or power just waiting for a winch to drop in. There's the issue of interfering with the sensor operations at the front of the vehicle around the bumper, crash testing or front suspension load rating (subtracting from the Frunk rating.)

There's also the issue of whether it's off the 12V (which there would have to have a much more powerful charging source to keep up with the 3-5hp of a winch motor) or if they've gone into their motor and gearbox knowledge to make their own winch operating off the traction battery … that would something.

Since they're designing the whole vehicle and it's a flat underbody, it (sh)would be "simple" to have a couple of guides for the winch line to be routed to the rear of the vehicle (for recovery or for pulling something onto a trailer, etc.)
I can’t see them doing their own winch from scratch. Makes zero sense. Been over this in another thread.

there are pictures of a prototype with a winch mounted.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I can’t see them doing their own winch from scratch. Makes zero sense. Been over this in another thread.

there are pictures of a prototype with a winch mounted.
I think EV pickup makers designing their own winch makes a ton of sense, especially if it's powered by the vehicle's traction battery, not the 12V.
A prototype with a winch could be an attempted OEM deal or just R&D on what happens when that 11,000 towing capacity is accessed from the front of the chassis, the impact of that pendulum mass on handling and load capacity, power and cooling, testing sensor functions, etc.

Rivian is a motor and gearbox manufacturer for 200hp corners, so a 3 hp motor/gearbox is not a tough ask of R&D, it creates a bespoke product:
* lighter, smaller, better fitted to the available packaging space,
* designed for the production line
* uses existing supplier contracts for quad motor components (motor, gearbox, metal forging and casting)
* mounted as a stressed member … adding strength, not creating a localized, leveraged load
* tightly integrated with the vehicle systems (control, power, cooling)
* applicable to other vehicle types (emergency services, military, fleet buyers of the EDV skateboard)
* direct revenue (profit margin and warranty) entirely onto their books.

Far better to sell accessories and warranty directly rather than give an accessory OEM those juicy margins. I could see a winch with 100% continuous operation using the vehicle battery and cooling system (like a PTO off a heavy duty vehicle's ICE or a hydraulic winch) as a significant win for first responders, law and war, commercial and industrial fleet buyers which tend to have tough requirements for their vehicles, where a bolt-on winch with a limited duty cycle is not going to work.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think EV pickup makers designing their own winch makes a ton of sense, especially if it's powered by the vehicle's traction battery, not the 12V.
A prototype with a winch could be an attempted OEM deal or just R&D on what happens when that 11,000 towing capacity is accessed from the front of the chassis, the impact of that pendulum mass on handling and load capacity, power and cooling, testing sensor functions, etc.

Rivian is a motor and gearbox manufacturer for 200hp corners, so a 3 hp motor/gearbox is not a tough ask of R&D, it creates a bespoke product:
* lighter, smaller, better fitted to the available packaging space,
* designed for the production line
* uses existing supplier contracts for quad motor components (motor, gearbox, metal forging and casting)
* mounted as a stressed member … adding strength, not creating a localized, leveraged load
* tightly integrated with the vehicle systems (control, power, cooling)
* applicable to other vehicle types (emergency services, military, fleet buyers of the EDV skateboard)
* direct revenue (profit margin and warranty) entirely onto their books.

Far better to sell accessories and warranty directly rather than give an accessory OEM those juicy margins. I could see a winch with 100% continuous operation using the vehicle battery and cooling system (like a PTO off a heavy duty vehicle's ICE or a hydraulic winch) as a significant win for first responders, law and war, commercial and industrial fleet buyers which tend to have tough requirements for their vehicles, where a bolt-on winch with a limited duty cycle is not going to work.
Eh. Why do all that when you can pluck one off the shelf, make your app talk to it and hey presto, a working, integrated winch.

KISS principle applies here.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Eh. Why do all that when you can pluck one off the shelf, make your app talk to it and hey presto, a working, integrated winch.

KISS principle applies here.
Don't put this on your job application to a EV startup that is trying to change the world and their motto is "adventure" … : )

Just imagine you're an engineering team – you've put your best work into the design of a motor, gearbox, housing, bearing, cooling, power, software and electronics – then your company decides, instead of using your problem solving skills, knowledge and talent to make your dream vehicle more complete and perfect, to just grab a general purpose consumer product off the OEM shelf, then subject you to the challenge of making that hunk of metal work in your vehicle. It's heavy, it's slow, it overheats, it doesn't fit, it takes up too much space, it costs just as much to engineer the installation of hardware, power, testing and long term warranty as it would have cost to make your own winch and make your vehicle all that much better than the competitors and all that much more valuable to owners as well as the accomplishment of building a better solution for emergency first responders …

The more I think about it, the more I expect (hope) that Rivian took the path less traveled.

Sierra7117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, 996
Occupation
Program Manager
Wonder if the winch is dead. Haven't heard a single thing in a long time about it.
Did Rivian ever say anything about aux lighting, ideally a seamless way to add wiring harnesses for said lighting?
Sponsored