LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Wish there was a factory winch option. With plenty onboard electrical power, you'd think Rivian engineers would recognize the need. Clearly they figured out how to do it at least once. At least add to the "Offroad Upgrade" a factory pre-wired kit so all the connections, fuses, etc. are properly made ahead of time.

Suppose we'll have to wait for the aftermarket to bring out winch-capable bumpers or install kits.

Rivian R1T R1S Which Winch? Winch pic
Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I have asked about it specifically since I do a lot of offroading and have been told multiple times that it is coming and will be available to be installed after delivery once they have made a winch-bumper available.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'm fairly positive Rivian included multiple wiring connections at various places in the vehicle with the idea that future accessories might be installed. The winch is one, and the "electric jerry can" idea they had is another. They apparently have a connection behind the gear tunnel for something like that. I bet there are other possibilities we don't even know about yet.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Can you off-road people tell me what is the difference between using a winch and simply using the hooks and backing up?

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Uhh, what? I'm confused how those are analogous to each other.

You use a winch when you're stuck and can't move. Anchor it to a tree or a ground anchor, use the winch to pull yourself out.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Can you off-road people tell me what is the difference between using a winch and simply using the hooks and backing up?
As a fellow non-off-road person, the way I perceive the difference is:
- with a regular tow, your vehicle and the vehicle that's towing you move together, i.e. the distance between tower and towee ins constant.
- with a winch, it works by reducing the distance between the vehicle and a stationary object.

The winch seems helpful in scenarios where it might be difficult for the tower to travel in the straight line that is necessary for a successful tow.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'll add to that the rock sliders that were also shown on that truck. I want both! One of the vehicles my Rivian will be replacing is an off-road built 4Runner.
Rivian R1T R1S Which Winch? 1646156489634

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I have asked about it specifically since I do a lot of offroading and have been told multiple times that it is coming and will be available to be installed after delivery once they have made a winch-bumper available.
that's good news! and bad in a way.... you'd think they would put a pop-out cover plate on the stock front bumper masking a mounting bracket & wiring kit behind it. Much like they're already doing in the rear for the hitch. Having to replace it with another factory-sourced bumper is going to be a pricey approach. Although I am delighted to hear that Rivian intends to provide option(s).

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You don't tow with a winch....

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
that's good news! and bad in a way.... you'd think they would put a pop-out cover plate on the stock front bumper masking a mounting bracket & wiring kit behind it. Having to replace it with another factory-sourced bumper is going to be a pricey approach. Although I am delighted to hear that Rivian intends to provide option(s).
I don't think it'll be too pricey, since they can re-use the bumper they take off yours on another vehicle, in theory. Certainly not going to be that much more than any aftermarket solution, I'd wager. Either way, for those of us that need it, we know we need it, and we'll be willing to pay for it. The first time you're stuck in BFE with no way out you'll be thankful for every penny spent.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
As a fellow non-off-road person, the way I perceive the difference is:
- with a regular tow, your vehicle and the vehicle that's towing you move together, i.e. the distance between tower and towee ins constant.
- with a winch, it works by reducing the distance between the vehicle and a stationary object.

The winch seems helpful in scenarios where it might be difficult for the tower to travel in the straight line that is necessary for a successful tow.

I just realized the main difference; With a winch, you potentially can pull yourself out if you lose traction and there is a big tree in front of you. With the hooks, you need someone else.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Winches are typically for vehicle recovery (e.g. self-rescue or rescue another vehicle) when traction is limited or vehicles are stuck, or you have limited space to work with (e.g. a recovery rope isn't an option). They're especially useful if you're travelling alone and get stuck - you can use a tree, anchor, etc. to pull your vehicle out of many situations where shovels, recovery boards, etc. would either be insufficient or a lot harder.

They're also useful for certain utility scenarios - removing stump, hoisting objects, etc. - if you know what you're doing, have the right equipment (safety gear, snatch blocks, etc.), and so on. It's a pretty transformative add-on for a relatively narrow audience.

They also look really cool and make you feel invincible ?

As ever, the best off-road safety advice is to know your limits, travel with another vehicle, and bring emergency communications equipment (such as an InReach). A winch doesn't do you any good if damage the vehicle, break down, get hurt, or otherwise get stranded out of communications range.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I must be on the ignore list :eyeroll:
Sponsored