Sponsored

Thinking about adding a hitch mounted Winch to my R1S. Have some questions....

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

Hi, I have been thinking about adding a hitch mounted winch to our R1S. I have gone on a few offorad trips already and I think If I had a winch it would have made for much nicer days.

Problem is I have very little experience with winches in general. I see the synthetic rope winch from HF going for around $530 on sale. And christmas is coming up so I am trying to convince myself this is a nice present for me. :cool: They also have a nice hitch mount with handles. This solution appears to be ~50% less than a similar Warn solution.

So I have some questions, hopefully there are some people here with more experience or who have gone thru this path.

1. Choice of winch. I want synthetic rope as I read it's safer just in case it snaps. It's also lighter than wire rope but comes at an extra cost. Anyone have experience with this winch from HF?

2. What about power? How would you power this? I am assuming that the R1S 12V battery is probably too weak for this. Is the best way just to have a stand alone battery? What specs should I aim for in a stand-alone battery? Manual for the winch recommends 650CCA but that is probably with ICE in mind.

3. Assume I have a standalone battery with say 100 Ah capacity? how much run time can I expect if my winch of choice? manual states ~450A for 12,000 lbs and 350A for 6,000 lbs.

4. Could the outlet in the R1S back be used for charging/recharging the battery on the spot using a 120V car battery charger? 10A would probably be the limit since the outlet is 1500W, does this sound right?

This would probably also change the angle on the rear but I plan on having this as a portable solution and either having this mounted just for trips and see if I have any issues. Worst case I can just put it in the trunk and mount if needed.

Thoughts? Anything else I should be looking at? Thanks for thanking the time to discuss this and for showing a winch noob the ropes (pun intended). :like:
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My biggest worry with those systems is if I end up in a situation where I can't physically get the hitch into the receiver.

pnwr1s

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S | Black on black on black | 20” ATs
I had a harbor freight Apex badland on my 200-series and it was pretty good until I exceeded the duty cycle, which is 45 seconds. It totally burnt up the solenoid and motor. Replaced with a Warn VR12. For reference my 200 series is within a few hundred pounds if a stock R1S

Rivian R1T R1S Thinking about adding a hitch mounted Winch to my R1S. Have some questions.... IMG_4011

OP
OP

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

My biggest worry with those systems is if I end up in a situation where I can't physically get the hitch into the receiver.
Yep I thought about that. I guess two scenarios deep in heavy mud and at a steep angle on hard/compacted terrain. Any others you can think of? Maybe sand too but that one it's a lot easier do dig some space

I had a harbor freight Apex badland on my 200-series and it was pretty good until I exceeded the duty cycle, which is 45 seconds. It totally burnt up the solenoid and motor. Replaced with a Warn VR12. For reference my 200 series is within a few hundred pounds if a stock R1S
I was reading the manual and noticed the duty cycle. How far did you exceed it?
That Warn is is my 2nd option but it's $300 extra for "same" specs. Not sure if you need a special Hitch Mount for it. Do you think it's worth the extra money? does it have better duty cycle?

Last edited:

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
A 10 amp battery charger is 10 amps times 12v so 120Watts on the 1500W outlet, not a problem. There are some efficiency losses but still less than 150W.
The 650CCA is a starting battery rating. 100ah is a deep cycle battery rating. Running a winch is more like starting a car than running lights but both of those batteries would be similar in size and I would guess that either would be fine. You kinda have to stop at the biggest battery you can lift and that is what they seem to be calling for here.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You kinda have to stop at the biggest battery you can lift and that is what they seem to be calling for here.
The higher the CCA the better for a winch. Voltage drop is what leads to killing a winch since you need to pull more and more current the lower the voltage drops for the same amount of output.

OP
OP

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

A 10 amp battery charger is 10 amps times 12v so 120Watts on the 1500W outlet, not a problem. There are some efficiency losses but still less than 150W.
Yep, I calculated the same so charging should not be a problem.

The higher the CCA the better for a winch. Voltage drop is what leads to killing a winch since you need to pull more and more current the lower the voltage drops for the same amount of output.
Do you mean voltage drop due to wiring? Wiring in this case would be very short as a stand alone battery would be placed next to the winch or trunk.

Thanks I will check this out. I searched and only went thru the first 5 pages of results. Don't recall seeing it.
Sponsored