Sponsored

What would you do? Get LE version (300+) or wait for MaxPack (400+)?

What do you think?

• Get the truck sooner, and sacrifice the extra 100 miles

• Be patient and wait for that MaxPack

Results are only viewable after voting.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
90% of my trips are within 100 miles back and forth, considering the fact Tesla is about open up their charging network, upcoming RAN and other charging infrastructure for my needs 300mi is good enough.

I don't want to pay extra $10K, carry extra load (battery weight) and pay penalty on efficiency to satisfy less than 10% of my long distance travels.

Just deliver my LE R1S s00n!
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
...carry extra load (battery weight) and pay penalty on efficiency to satisfy less than 10% of my long distance travels.
I'm curious as to why you think the extra battery will penalize you on efficiency. It may (or may not) but clearly you think it will and that the penalty will be significant. I'm interested in how you came to that conclusion.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I was of the opinion that 300 miles range is enough but that an extra 100 in your back pocket would definitely be nice to have. Then someone posted on this forum asking about his favorite off road trip which involves 27 miles on the beach. He didn't think he could do that with 300 miles range given where the beach (Assateague island) is located relative to charging and he is right. Some quick calculation show that driving on sand can get your consumption to well over 1 kWh/mile. I am therefore now firmly of the opinion that if you plan to do anything off road or tow you should definitely wait for the 400 mile truck or SUV. I live on the east coast.

Where you are coming from may have something to do with it. At the time I learned of the Rivians I was driving a 294 mile Tesla and 400 miles just seemed unbelievable. I'm now driving a 351 mile Tesla and 400 doesn't seem that exciting. I can't see going back to 300.
LOL. Despite our back and forth a few weeks ago on this subject, I'm waffling over the same thought. BUT, if the A/T come back at 300+ EPA that helps, and I'll be curious to see what people end up getting once they get the trucks and test them out. The one benefit of not being an early order and having to test my patience.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
If I had money to burn, I would get the max pack. 10k is a lot for an extra hundred miles though.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'm curious as to why you think the extra battery will penalize you on efficiency. It may (or may not) but clearly you think it will and that the penalty will be significant. I'm interested in how you came to that conclusion.
AJ,

I'm not trying to presuppose what @fromSf is thinking, but when talking with RJ about the 300 vs. 400 mile batteries, he said the weight difference would be in the 300-350 pound range. That came up when he was explaining the decision to upgrade the MaxPack version to make it as fast or faster than the LargePack, in part to acknowledge the extra outlay for those buying the top-of-the-line vehicle in either body style.

I know we saw at least one set of inverters for the MaxPack. I'd guess any increase in weight for those would be minimal, especially compared to the battery.

While we didn't discuss the specific effect on range by carrying that extra weight, I'm guessing you probably have that down to a very specific effect. Am I right in guessing that once the vehicle is up to speed, the increased weight has less of an effect on "mileage" during sustained highway driving than it does in start and stop driving, where you're having to routinely accelerate and slow with more weight in play? If that's the case, I'm guessing that at least a small percentage of that range-loss from acceleration would recaptured by the extra regen created by slowing that extra mass, is that correct?

I always appreciate your specific factual calculations, input, and feedback.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

If I had money to burn, I would get the max pack. 10k is a lot for an extra hundred miles though.
I wrestled with that question for a very short time based primarily on Range Anxiety, but remember RJ talking well ahead of the Configurator going live about how ubiquitous chargers will be in the future. Also, consider some of the extras that are no expense with the L.E. (Wheel upgrades, off-road package, accessory-bundling) that may not be included, or may not be the same in later roll-outs. Also, a big question is what, if anything might change with the EV tax incentives.

As others have pointed out here, opting from the L.E. to a similarly equipped MaxPack might ultimately result in an extra $20,000+ "cost", plus the loss of that beautiful Launch Green! That last point alone is a deal-killer for me. ?

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I'm hoping October give us some clues as to how the truck behaves off road and how much energy it consumes. If I remember correctly, last year a preprod truck went on the Rebelle and it had a ~230mile pack. It averaged ~170miles on/off road and 50 miles in the sand. I believe they are going to compete again, but this time with a production truck, so it'll be interesting to compare last year's with this year's numbers. Who knows, they may even do it on the max pack version...

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
300 miles is plenty if you are not towing. I think it depends on how much you plan to do long-distance towing.

I would plan based on the assumption that towing will cut the range in half; that you only charge to 90%; that you stop to recharge at 10%; and that after a few years the battery will have degraded by 10%. 300*.9*.9*.9*.5 = 110 miles between stops when towing. And you are likely going to have to unhitch the trailer at each stop. It will be a very different experience than towing with an ICE or going on a BEV road trip without towing.

A 400 mile pack going to be subject to the same range reducing factors. You can only count on 145 miles between stops. But I think that the difference between 110 miles and 145 miles is significant enough to wait.
This is exactly why I"m waiting for the max pack. I plan on towing a ~5k lb trailer and want to have a bit more range before charging.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I wrestled with that question for a very short time based primarily on Range Anxiety, but remember RJ talking well ahead of the Configurator going live about how ubiquitous chargers will be in the future. Also, consider some of the extras that are no expense with the L.E. (Wheel upgrades, off-road package, accessory-bundling) that may not be included, or may not be the same in later roll-outs. Also, a big question is what, if anything might change with the EV tax incentives.

As others have pointed out here, opting from the L.E. to a similarly equipped MaxPack might ultimately result in an extra $20,000+ "cost", plus the loss of that beautiful Launch Green! That last point alone is a deal-killer for me. ?
I’m curious what our options will be in 7-8 years when the battery may need replacing. Will a replacement pack be cheaper and more energy dense by then? That would be my hope. I do think charging will be more readily available and faster by then as well. I only wish Rivian had the latest tech with 800v charger

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I’m curious what our options will be in 7-8 years when the battery may need replacing. Will a replacement pack be cheaper and more energy dense by then? That would be my hope. I do think charging will be more readily available and faster by then as well. I only wish Rivian had the latest tech with 800v charger
From conversations, and from what I've read, I'm not sure the battery pack will be easily replaceable. I've somewhat accepted that it just may be that we have to live with whatever degradation does occur over time, but I'm hoping Rivian will find a way to replace them for us. I'm sure a replacement, fully-installed won't be cheap. If they, or someone else, are able to do so, say ten years from now, can you imagine a battery that may reduce the weight of the vehicle while also providing double the range?

As with the 800 V charging your reference, new technology will continue to evolve and roll out over time. Trying to always have the most current technology available will be a never-ending pursuit. At some point, you just plant your flag in the sand and live with what you have. It does sound like much in the way of new technology will be available via OTA updates, so we have that going for us, which is nice.

Rivian R1T R1S What would you do? Get LE version (300+) or wait for MaxPack (400+)? 1630182857951

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
From conversations, and from what I've read, I'm not sure the battery pack will be easily replaceable. I've somewhat accepted that it just may be that we have to live with whatever degradation does occur over time, but I'm hoping Rivian will find a way to replace them for us. I'm sure a replacement, fully-installed won't be cheap. If they, or someone else, are able to do so, say ten years from now, can you imagine a battery that may reduce the weight of the vehicle while also providing double the range?

As with the 800 V charging your reference, new technology will continue to evolve and roll out over time. Trying to always have the most current technology available will be a never-ending pursuit. At some point, you just plant your flag in the sand and live with what you have. It does sound like much in the way of new technology will be available via OTA updates, so we have that going for us, which is nice.

1630182857951.png
If the battery can’t be replaced than I will be curious what they do if it fails before the warranty has run it’s course. ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

If the battery can’t be replaced than I will be curious what they do if it fails before the warranty has run it’s course. ?
Oh, I'm sure they can and will replace the entire battery/individual cells for warranty purposes, but it will likely be a spendy thing for us to do on our dime as an upgrade. The same will likely be true for needed repairs after their generous warranty period has expired.

I honestly don't expect the degradation to be very great, as long as we're treating the batteries right and charging them as they're designed to be charged. That's another reason I'll welcome their ongoing monitoring of my vehicle. I just don't want anyone, Alexa or otherwise, listening in to my anti-traffic rants or me singing along with Spotify. That wouldn't be enjoyable for anyone..... Least of all for me, if all of a sudden the images and sound showed up on YouTube. ??

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I’d wager a battery replacement is not much more difficult than a frame replacement on a body on frame pickup(cough Toyota cough cough)

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I just don't want anyone, Alexa or otherwise, listening in to my anti-traffic rants or me singing along with Spotify. That wouldn't be enjoyable for anyone..... Least of all for me, if all of a sudden the images and sound showed up on YouTube. ??
I am ok with the intrusion of privacy IF (AND ONLY IF) they hold annual Riviot Awards and allow us all to learn from (or laugh at) the creative/stupid/dangerous things Riviots do on a daily basis.