Sponsored

What would you do? Get LE version (300+) or wait for MaxPack (400+)?

What do you think?

• Get the truck sooner, and sacrifice the extra 100 miles

• Be patient and wait for that MaxPack

Results are only viewable after voting.

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S-LE preorder
I am a launch edition R1T preorder holder (Apr 2019), but I am considering changing my order to the MaxPack. I know this will push me out of the LE group and delay my delivery, but I really want that 400-mile range for some of the road trips I plan to take. I talked to a CS rep and they said if I end up changing I will still maintain my preorder rank among the non-LE group. And they recommended I wait and talk to my guide before making any decisions, since they might have more info at that time regarding delivery timing of each one.

What are your thoughts on the dilemma?
  1. Get the truck sooner, and sacrifice the extra 100 miles
  2. Be patient and wait for that MaxPack
Sponsored

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
I wanted the 300+ battery before i knew it would be delivered first! The 10k cost for the 100 miles must be considered for most as well

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
If you want/need to 400 miles I would wait but I'm in no hurry for a new vehicle and since I'm in Alaska my LE will be towards the end of the LE deliveries.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Others have brought this up on different threads, but it's worth mentioning again: in addition to the difference in delivery time, it's worth considering how much charging infrastructure will have expanded in that time period. If there are stations planned (either RAN or others) for key route gaps that you plan on taking, it might reduce the need for a Max pack in the long term.

Edit: I'm getting the LE at 300+ miles because I do not have that one trip that I make regularly which will require the max pack. As a relative newcomer to the Pacific Northwest, I'm perfectly fine letting the limits of the large pack and available charging infrastructure guide my exploring for the first few years because there's so much to see.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Get the one that better meets your needs.

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
"...it's worth considering how much charging infrastructure will have expanded in that time period..."

That's where I'm at for the moment. At first I thought it was crazy not to wait for the MaxPack but after watching out of spec and a few others on long distance EV road trips it seems charging speed and charging curves seem more important than an extra 100mi of range for the type of driving I do...

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Also, if you're waiting on an R1S production timing may solve this problem for you...

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Don’t forget you’ll also need to pay for your wheel upgrade.

But with that, I’m a max pack reservation holder. Don’t forget that 300 miles is the best rage. Your actual range with years down the line with 10% degradation, loaded with gear, cold temperatures, and a mountain to climb will be much worse.

I also predict resale value to be much better for max packs because battery degradation won’t be as much of an annoyance with the larger pack.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
300 miles is plenty if you are not towing. I think it depends on how much you plan to do long-distance towing.

I would plan based on the assumption that towing will cut the range in half; that you only charge to 90%; that you stop to recharge at 10%; and that after a few years the battery will have degraded by 10%. 300*.9*.9*.9*.5 = 110 miles between stops when towing. And you are likely going to have to unhitch the trailer at each stop. It will be a very different experience than towing with an ICE or going on a BEV road trip without towing.

A 400 mile pack going to be subject to the same range reducing factors. You can only count on 145 miles between stops. But I think that the difference between 110 miles and 145 miles is significant enough to wait.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
This question has been the bane of my existence…. I am currently lucky enough to have a Launch Edition R1S configured, however, for my use case the 400 mile pack is what I’ve always planned to get. Of course with the R1S there is no guarantee when or if that will happen…. Right now just sitting back and waiting till my guide contacts me. Hopefully by then the larger pack R1S will be a thing…. Again….. and I’ll actually have a decision to make. As it stands now the only decision is accept the 300m R1S or nothing.

Sponsored

CabinCrusher

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Project Manager
I’ll let you in on my little fantasy…

I think production ramp up is going to proceed much faster than anyone thinks. Based on that, I would go for the max pack. Range envy after the fact will eat you alive and I don’t think it will be a long delay.

source = I’m a 5/21 reservation holder who needs to believe this if I want my truck in Q3 2022. ?

ruawahoo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade and CX-5
I’m doing Max because I live in the Mountain West where destinations are pretty spaced out, traveling includes multiple mountain passes, and I plan on towing a camping trailer (although not one anywhere near max) or going off road with little charging support in that area. Makes sense for me. If I was on the East Coast, I wouldn’t feel the need for Max.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I’m struggling with the same dilemma. I’m waiting to see what happens with EV incentives. If, for example, the tax credit is set to be more restrictive next year, it’s possible that waiting costs me closer to $20k than $10k. At that point you should seriously ask how many times you’re willing to detour or charge a bit more for $20k.

Either way, don’t change your config away from LE unless you absolutely have to (e.g. have a Guide contact asking for final configuration.) We don’t have all the range or incentive details yet and you can never get it back if you switch now.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I was of the opinion that 300 miles range is enough but that an extra 100 in your back pocket would definitely be nice to have. Then someone posted on this forum asking about his favorite off road trip which involves 27 miles on the beach. He didn't think he could do that with 300 miles range given where the beach (Assateague island) is located relative to charging and he is right. Some quick calculation show that driving on sand can get your consumption to well over 1 kWh/mile. I am therefore now firmly of the opinion that if you plan to do anything off road or tow you should definitely wait for the 400 mile truck or SUV. I live on the east coast.

Where you are coming from may have something to do with it. At the time I learned of the Rivians I was driving a 294 mile Tesla and 400 miles just seemed unbelievable. I'm now driving a 351 mile Tesla and 400 doesn't seem that exciting. I can't see going back to 300.

Last edited:

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Hedge your bet! Place another preorder now. Get the LE, see if it works for you. If not, sell it and complete your second reservation.
Sponsored