What Will you do when you Take Delivery?

kanundrum

Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-4x, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quad
Occupation
IT
Assumptions: Delivery will be in Normal, IL
Plan: The Wife, My self, and Doggo will be taking a Huge Road Trip after Delivery (Directly) Out west (From from Washington, DC to IL).
Locations: Major National Parks, See Below.

1588824724073.png

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagon; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2009 Toyota Prius
Cool. Have you mapped out charging locations and the availability of rapid charging at which stations? If so, can you share the information?

I might do a similar road trip, except that I'll take the southern route running toward Pikes Peak and Arches National Park and I'll keep heading west from Zion National Park to the Bay Area. I'll also take delivery in Normal. Depending on the delay between placing an order and taking delivery, I might do both in Normal, assuming the delay is a matter of days and not weeks. (I'd rather pick vehicles, colors and options in Normal where I can touch and feel the real deal, but I suspect this is not feasible.) I have relatives in Normal, Peoria, and Chicago. If I can visit family, place an order, and take delivery in short order, I'll do everything in one extended trip.

Last edited:

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
For what it's worth... Route 66 goes through Normal, IL. I am probably just going to make my way back to Austin but I will certainly drive some of Route 66 instead of the interstates working my way back home. Being that I'm late to the party I figure I have plenty of time to figure out a fun route.

OP
K

kanundrum

Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Cool. Have you mapped out charging locations and the availability of rapid charging at which stations? If so, can you share the information?

I might do a similar road trip, except that I'll take the southern route running toward Pikes Peak and Arches National Park and I'll keep heading west from Zion National Park to the Bay Area. I'll also take delivery in Normal. Depending on the delay between placing an order and taking delivery, I might do both in Normal, assuming the delay is a matter of days and not weeks. (I'd rather pick vehicles, colors and options in Normal where I can touch and feel the real deal, but I suspect this is not feasible.) I have relatives in Normal, Peoria, and Chicago. If I can visit family, place an order, and take delivery in short order, I'll do everything in one extended trip.

Right now using a Jag IPACE Profile as it will be similar in terms of range I am imagining in comparison to the Rivian as well as Charging Infrastructure.

1588862524937.png

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
"Right now using a Jag IPACE Profile as it will be similar in terms of range"

I hope not.
The I-Pace profile is likely a bit optimistic for a 105 kWh Rivian, and probably only a little pessimistic for a 135 kWh Rivian. The Jag has better aero than either the R1T of R1S, and that translates to a steep range penalty for the Rivians at higher speeds. Much of the published route will be at 75 mph (or more :angel:). The EPA Highway test has a top speed of 60 mph and an average speed of 48.

hwfetdds.gif

OP
K

kanundrum

Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Exactly, I was using it as a worse case scenario for planning, assuming I go for 135kw with 3 rows.

The I-Pace profile is likely a bit optimistic for a 105 kWh Rivian, and probably only a little pessimistic for a 135 kWh Rivian. The Jag has better aero than either the R1T of R1S, and that translates to a steep range penalty for the Rivians at higher speeds. Much of the published route will be at 75 mph (or more :angel:). The EPA Highway test has a top speed of 60 mph and an average speed of 48.

hwfetdds.gif
"Right now using a Jag IPACE Profile as it will be similar in terms of range"

I hope not.

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
I will:
1) Drive super fast & giggle
2) Take it light offroad to test traction & overall capabilities
3) Probably sleep in it at least one night the first week, lol

OP
K

kanundrum

Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I will:
1) Drive super fast & giggle
2) Take it light offroad to test traction & overall capabilities
3) Probably sleep in it at least one night the first week, lol
Definitely, it helps I was a former Mechanical Engineer who has been trained in going off road by Land Rover as part of mandatory employee training :)

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
Definitely, it helps I was a former Mechanical Engineer who has been trained in going off road by Land Rover as part of mandatory employee training :)
4 independent motors should change the game regarding traction. Although the intelligent braking systems are pretty solid these days too...

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Spark EV, Rivian R1T and R1S Reservation Holder
We have also planned on taking delivery in Normal. I hadn't really considered going on an extended road trip but now that I am reading this...it would be fun to swing back east into SC before headed back to Jacksonville to show it off to my little brother who has a reservation on a tri-motor CT.

OP
K

kanundrum

Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Its fun definitely thinking/planning for sure!

EVJay

First Name
Jay
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicles
2011 Honda Pilot, 2012 Hyundai Veloster, 2019 Infinity Q50 Luxe, 2020 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Sales
Getting closer...the countdown is on. This email was a nice surprise as I was just talking about the R1T yesterday and was getting depressed about the lack of communication. I'd love to start in Texas...up through Colorado, Black Hills, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and back....

Hi Jay,

My name is Gabi and I’m on the Community Engagement team here at Rivian. I want to personally congratulate you on your recent preorder and welcome you to the Rivian team.

From now until you take delivery of your R1T, one of the important milestones that we’re eager to share with you is the launch of our configurator in late summer. Within the configurator, you’ll be able to customize your Electric Adventure Vehicle (EAV) with your favorite color, trim level, battery pack options, and more. Until then, keep an eye on your inbox and don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have along the way.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Getting closer...the countdown is on. This email was a nice surprise as I was just talking about the R1T yesterday and was getting depressed about the lack of communication. I'd love to start in Texas...up through Colorado, Black Hills, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and back....

Hi Jay,

My name is Gabi and I’m on the Community Engagement team here at Rivian. I want to personally congratulate you on your recent preorder and welcome you to the Rivian team.

From now until you take delivery of your R1T, one of the important milestones that we’re eager to share with you is the launch of our configurator in late summer. Within the configurator, you’ll be able to customize your Electric Adventure Vehicle (EAV) with your favorite color, trim level, battery pack options, and more. Until then, keep an eye on your inbox and don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have along the way.
That's cool.. may I ask when you ordered... I am curious when emails will role out to others.