Sponsored

What will we learn on Thursday? A Predictions Thread...

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

The context was that she was getting her hair cut and someone in the salon who didn’t know her was discussing Rivian and sharing wrong info. She chose not to speak to see how the conversation played out, Another Twitter user responded ‘How deep into the weeds did it go?’ Amy responded ‘Think forums.’ —— They are monitoring us, guys. And paying attention. ??
I knew this but hearing directly is like oh okay... haha.

Rivian R1T R1S What will we learn on Thursday?  A Predictions Thread... tenor
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I guess I just don't get it. They will show a production version before you are asked to confirm an order. Before you are given the opportunity to convert your reservation to an actual contract, the information will be available.

How much in advance do you need to see it? 6 months? 6 weeks? 6 days?

It bothers me not one bit that they are completely finalizing all the details before producing and shipping the vehicles. Do I want to know the EPA numbers? Absolutely? Will I order without knowing them? Not a chance. Do I need to know them weeks/months before I confirm an order? Nope.

Seeing detailed pictures/videos is nice. Having a journalist (or two) do a review would also be cool. But none of that is a substitute for seeing/touching/feeling/driving one. There is no amount of information they can provide that would cause me to order before seeing one in person.

For those that will be ordering before actually seeing one in person, how much lead time do you really need? If the wood trim is a slightly different shade in a photo do you cancel?

People are anxious to take delivery, but at the same time seem to be hyper-critical of details and also screaming for more. Seriously, is the size/shape of the fob and how waterproof it is (or isn;t) really a potential deal breaker? At most, it is a minor inconvenience.

The information I do not know will influence how my vehicle might be configured - and perhaps the timing of the order (wait for the Max Pack or faster charging, etc). But all of that is of zero consequence if my wife and I don't like the driving experience, comfort and quietness of the cabin, ride quality, seat comfort, visibility with the seat/steering wheel/mirrors adjusted, ease of entry/exit, and lots of other details that only an in person experience can provide. If it doesn't pass that test, nothing else matters.

When we were shopping for a motorcycle for my wife one time, the dealer wanted to negotiate a price before a test drive. Why would we go thru that process without knowing if we even wanted to buy it?

Many on this form seemed to be prepared to order one no matter what. Others may want specific details. Others want a test drive. None of those require months or even weeks of knowing every detail ahead of time.

They will provide details ahead of the order confirmation process. Customers can order based on those details or wait for more information and/or an in person experience.

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
I guess I just don't get it. They will show a production version before you are asked to confirm an order. Before you are given the opportunity to convert your reservation to an actual contract, the information will be available.

It bothers me not one bit that they are completely finalizing all the details before producing and shipping the vehicles. Do I want to know the EPA numbers? Absolutely? Will I order without knowing them? Not a chance. Do I need to know them weeks/months before I confirm an order? Nope.

Seeing detailed pictures/videos is nice. Having a journalist (or two) do a review would also be cool. But none of that is a substitute for seeing/touching/feeling/driving one. There is no amount of information they can provide that would cause me to order before seeing one in person.

For those that will be ordering before actually seeing one in person, how much lead time do you really need? If the wood trim is a slightly different shade in a photo do you cancel?

People are anxious to take delivery, but at the same time seem to be hyper-critical of details and also screaming for more. Seriously, is the size/shape of the fob and how waterproof it is (or isn;t) really a potential deal breaker? At most, it is a minor inconvenience.

The information I do not know will influence how my vehicle might be configured - and perhaps the timing of the order (wait for the Max Pack or faster charging, etc). But all of that is of zero consequence if my wife and I don't like the driving experience, comfort and quietness of the cabin, ride quality, seat comfort, visibility with the seat/steering wheel/mirrors adjusted, ease of entry/exit, and lots of other details that only an in person experience can provide. If it doesn't pass that test, nothing else matters.

When we were shopping for a motorcycle for my wife one time, the dealer wanted to negotiate a price before a test drive. Why would we go thru that process without knowing if we even wanted to buy it?

Many on this form seemed to be prepared to order one no matter what. Others may want specific details. Others want a test drive. None of those require months or even weeks of knowing every detail ahead of time.

They will provide details ahead of the order confirmation process. Customers can order based on those details or wait for more information and/or an in person experience.
I guess for me, the problem has been time and information.... I ordered in February 2019, I work with 2 guys who ordered the first day it was available while I waited a few months to gather more information. I believe at the time there were at least 4 newbies on the block but Rivian had the only prototype. I went to the first event in New York, I met RJ, I saw the size of the truck and I genuinely am ready to switch from ICE to renewables.

I say all of that to say, this truck is mine, launch green (whatever it looks like) no monochromatic roof, no 180 degree tailgate (when in NY the guy had several issues raising and lowering the tailgate, I would have opted out of that if I could), the price is a tad high but I totally get it (I was prepared for more). Even though I am getting it as soon as I can, I can be thoroughly frustrated with the lack of information. It does not seem hard to me to put out some basic information on the variety of subjects discussed here. A weekly youtube blog covering aspects would be nice. The weekly wait and see has become tiresome and as consumers in the US we are built on information and parsing that information. So I totally get the frustration.

off my soapbox, and back to refreshing threads.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
We must not forget that Rivian Forum Behaviorism Complex (RFBC) is real.

Most every forum member on here, has had a moment in time between 2018 - 2021, that they had their first date with Rivian. They fell fast in love, had their first kiss at an event, only to be left to the Google, and random postings from other drivers taking dangerously tilted out of focus "real world" pictures, all while a Pandemic ravaged the world, its semiconductor chip supply, and toilet paper.

It's emotionally challenging to have had such a connection and deep immediate involvement with something, only to have been given simple, basic, tidbits and snippets of information for years.

My therapist will have to do, until I get my call from my Rivian Guide to help me through this...

wdlikatruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ipace, cx-9
Occupation
attorney
I am just working from a few basic premises/principles:
1. Rivian is stating June deliveries (and it's now mid-May).
2. (Car) Manufacturers do not tend to hide successful implementation, they tend to show it off (you know, to generate demand).
3. Rivian is not showing successful implementation ("[But] We have side panels!").
So/Ergo:
4. WTF.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

I don't think people on this forum are saying, show me the details so I can finalize an order 6-12 months from now. Someone is going to be among the first in line for a Launch Edition R1T, and they can expect deliveries in just about a month per Rivian's own timeline. Is it not reasonable for that first batch of customers to have more information at hand, and be close to placing an order? It just so happens that the information they need to make a decision - such as better photos, walkthroughs, feature lists, even test drives - will help the rest of us too, that's why we're asking for it on their behalf :p.

Last edited:

wdlikatruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ipace, cx-9
Occupation
attorney
And the May 19th Ford reveal/distraction is a good opportunity for a disappointing status update/delay announcement: lose casual reservation holders who would drop for less expensive F-150ev, retain some hardcore fans . . . and push substantive production (and IPO) to 2022 . . . all the while nursing the Amazon order for vans. . . Easy-peasy. I don't think anyone here truly believes that step 9 of 10 in delivering a new vehicle is "Return to Stealth Mode." But here we are.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
And the May 19th Ford reveal/distraction is a good opportunity for a disappointing status update/delay
If they were going to announce a delay, they would have already. All signs point to at least token deliveries in June and substantial deliveries in July.

Sponsored

2021R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
If they were going to announce a delay, they would have already. All signs point to at least token deliveries in June and substantial deliveries in July.
What signs? There are no stinking signs. I am hedging my bet and putting a deposit on a Ford Lighting as soon as it is possible. It may very well deliver first. Been waiting since January 5, 2019 and........

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
We will know within 2 weeks.

If the guides do not start reaching out in the next 2 weeks it will speak volumes. They have said they will start reaching out in May, it is much easier to meet that goal as it is only communication, questions answered, and configuration finalization.

No communication from the guides, in May, not likely to see deliveries in June.

I would go a step further and if we do not hear anything next week around planned LE holder events to allow in person viewing and test drives, those are not likely in June either. They would need more than a week or 2 to organize that and I would think you would provide minimum of 2 or 3 weeks notice to the customers.

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
Being a casual cynic, I think they are a few months out. They'll release token amounts over the next 4-6 months but not anywhere near enough to satisfy demand. ....or not.... :devil:

Maybe they really are playing it that stealth.

Some of us here are getting concerned because of the lack of any meaningful updates. Personally, I'm assuming a delay and hoping to be wrong.

KWeimer711

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / Genesis
Occupation
Product Marketing
What signs? There are no stinking signs. I am hedging my bet and putting a deposit on a Ford Lighting as soon as it is possible. It may very well deliver first. Been waiting since January 5, 2019 and........
can’t fix stupid

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Being a casual cynic, I think they are a few months out. They'll release token amounts over the next 4-6 months but not anywhere near enough to satisfy demand. ....or not.... :devil:
You're not being a cynic although perhaps you (and many others) missed or have for forgotten the Bloomberg interview last November where RJ explicitly stated they would be supply constrained for a long time and that customers would be waiting for vehicles longer than they would have liked.
Sponsored