Sponsored

What will we learn on Thursday? A Predictions Thread...

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
Thanks and I understand what you're saying. I may have misled you and others by my recent posts. My only beef is with lack of communication from the Guides and how our notification should have been worded. The way we were notified is that our Guides would be in contact with the LE preorder holders beginning in May.

To me, the last week in May to be contacted is not acceptable, though I'll accept it if it occurs. Granted they did say May, but come Monday, they will have given us 24 days of suspense. This is also not acceptable to me. They could have worded the notification differently, such as, "your Guide will be in contact beginning no later than May 31st." I would be okay with that wording, while in the entire month of May.

When this continued beyond the middle of May, each day I have ceased to be pleased with how things are progressing. I'm not giving up my spot, but making it known I'm not pleased, meant for Rivian's communication's director. All it's conveying to me, about the lack of communication (in this area only), is a lack of concern.

Perhaps they've had setbacks, or not, but we could have been notified, instead of being in suspense each and every day. They did say training wasn't completed, and they'd be in contact when finished. Could this mean after May? Maybe they thought that was good enough information, but doesn't work for me. Perhaps if I were younger and had a few years to wait, no problem-no complaints, but time is not on my side. It's easy to be impatient when you're a "Grumpy Old Man". All I can do is vent here, take whatever they dish out if I want to buy their product, and I do.....for now.
Well said. I am in complete agreement
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

What I learned today is that my haunting sense of uncertainty with Rivian final led me to take an action. Not necessarily a "final decision" but certainly a step that means something. Something to me... and something to Rivian (if they had a clue what's going on in the enthusiasts' forum).

I ordered a Ford Mach-E Premium AWD Ext. battery. I left the 'Mustang' out on purpose. I've owned two 5.0's in my years from a fox body era to a S550 (2015), so I cannot disrespect the proud heritage of that great american musclecar. Besides I think calling it just a Mach-E is a cleaner more apropos designation using a classic Ford moniker with an electric connotation like choosing 'Lightning' for F-150 EV truck.

Present situation with Mach-E production (order to delivery) is running 3 to 4 months. So now its a race in time. If a Guide calls me then the R1T L.E. will be mine. If Ford notifies me its delivered then I will immediately purchase it. The Mach-E becomes a bridge to getting the 'Lightning' next year. Whatever happens with Rivian, I will wish them and all happy owners nothing but resounding success and good fortune. I may very well get a Rivian a few years down the road....

This is not some kind of truth-or-dare to Rivian (like they'd know or care). Its just how I roll. Criticism will be easily tolerated. I know the financials don't make much sense either. Trust me, this will be the ump-teenth time in my life that I've made a vehicle purchase decision that would horrify a financial adviser - if I listened to one.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
What I learned today is that my haunting sense of uncertainty with Rivian final led me to take an action. Not necessarily a "final decision" but certainly a step that means something. Something to me... and something to Rivian (if they had a clue what's going on in the enthusiasts' forum).

I ordered a Ford Mach-E Premium AWD Ext. battery. I left the 'Mustang' out on purpose. I've owned two 5.0's in my years from a fox body era to a S550 (2015), so I cannot disrespect the proud heritage of that great american musclecar. Besides I think calling it just a Mach-E is a cleaner more apropos designation using a classic Ford moniker with an electric connotation like choosing 'Lightning' for F-150 EV truck.

Present situation with Mach-E production (order to delivery) is running 3 to 4 months. So now its a race in time. If a Guide calls me then the R1T L.E. will be mine. If Ford notifies me its delivered then I will immediately purchase it. The Mach-E becomes a bridge to getting the 'Lightning' next year. Whatever happens with Rivian, I will wish them and all happy owners nothing but resounding success and good fortune. I may very well get a Rivian a few years down the road....

This is not some kind of truth-or-dare to Rivian (like they'd know or care). Its just how I roll. Criticism will be easily tolerated. I know the financials don't make much sense either. Trust me, this will be the ump-teenth time in my life that I've made a vehicle purchase decision that would horrify a financial adviser - if I listened to one.
I'm heading to a VW dealer tomorrow to pick up an ID.4 . My current car has me annoyed enough that my non-LE uncertainty made me decide to get something in the short term. I figure that with the tax rebate if Rivian is on time then I won't lose much (if any). And if not, I'll have a reasonably comfortable car to drive for the time being.

wdlikatruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ipace, cx-9
Occupation
attorney

I ordered a Ford Mach-E Premium AWD Ext. battery.
Right there with you and SeaGeo . . . that's why I have an I-Pace. It's my interim EV while I wait for a truck (to replace current I-Pace/CX-9 combo). Frankly, Mach-E has always struck me as a re-skinned I-Pace; which is just fine, if true . . . the I-Pace is a great driving experience. So, I believe the reviews about the Mach-E being the same. Good hedge, and good luck.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I ordered a Ford Mach-E Premium AWD Ext. battery.
I'm heading to a VW dealer tomorrow to pick up an ID.4 .
If Rivian was more up front about communication, would your course of action be different? For instance, if they would have provided an exact date for guide contacts to begin, or guidance regarding goals for production and delivery in 2021 or even a rough estimate as to your delivery date +/-30 to 60 days.

Just curious.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
If Rivian was more up front about communication, would your course of action be different? For instance, if they would have provided an exact date for guide contacts to begin, or guidance regarding goals for production and delivery in 2021 or even a rough estimate as to your delivery date +/-30 to 60 days.

Just curious.
It depends on their answer. I asked, and couldn't get them to even narrow down to an idea of what quarter I could expect delivery. Which doesn't surprise me, and I don't blame them. If they said "probably Q1-2022 based on where you live and ordered," then I would hold off. But if they came back and said... Q4 2022 I would still get a temp vehicle. In fact, I would have back in December when used cars about 10% less.

Don't take this as me being annoyed or bitter. It's my choice. Some additional clarification would be nice, but I understand their process. I'd rather this than the random shotgun delivery process of tweet-by-Elon"s-whim.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Hard to say. I suppose if they communicated and publicized all the things still unknown then sure, I'd still be 110% onboard. But that's not going to happen.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
To be fair, if my A/C hadn't gone out on a car where fixing it is like 1/4 it's value, I'd probably have held out either way.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

If they said "probably Q1-2022 based on where you live and ordered," then I would hold off. But if they came back and said... Q4 2022 I would still get a temp vehicle. In fact, I would have back in December when used cars about 10% less.
This is where I'm at. We just need the most basic information to plan our lives. We've kicked this can so far down the road, we're running out of road. Time to sack up and move on.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
When there is a lack of information coming forth, speculation creeps in, or it does for me. There has to be a reason. This is the 21st day of unnecessary suspense, where we haven't been contacted by a Guide.

Speculation: Waited for the Ford reveal, to see how many defectors (asking for refunds). Monitor forums to get an idea of how many have deposits on both vehicles. Then, see if they need to make final changes and options to their product, making it more attractive, while holding the defectors to a minimum. They'll lay out the game plan over the weekend, then come out with a bang Monday morning. This will leave 7 days remaining in the month of May.
If they were (a) worried about defectors, and (b) monitoring the forums, then they would have started sharing more information weeks ago knowing that a majority of their staunchest supports are not happy with their comms. They can’t control what Ford does, but they can control what they themselves do. Which is why the lack of comms is so bewildering to most of us.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

I am now considering a Mach E also, while I wait on my Hummer. I am thinking California Route 1, 305 mile range. It is $20K cheaper than the R1S Explorer with equal range. Only downside is I will have to keep my current GMC pickup longer for towing purposes.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
If they were (a) worried about defectors, and (b) monitoring the forums, ........
You may be right. After all, a member of the Ford family is on Rivian's Board of Directors. I suppose we'll see how this all plays out. Quite interesting.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
You may be right. After all, a member of the Ford family is on Rivian's Board of Directors. I suppose we'll see how this all plays out. Quite interesting.
Not sure what you are actually implying here.

If it is that a member on the Rivian board would try to unduly try to sway the board in a direction that would be detrimental to Rivian and positive to Ford, that is both unlikely and illegal. They have at least 7 board members who are responsible for the strategic directions of the company. Even if one person had an agenda, they would not have the power to sway detrimental decisions.

It is more likely that they just feel that the target audience between the 2 companies have very little overlap. Ford does not currently have an EV SUV on the market. The truck that Ford has brought to market is much more targeted at current truck owners and people who use trucks for their work. That is not the target market for the R1t which is very clear when you look at what each offering has for advantages and disadvantages over the other.

Rivian found a niche market they want to cater to with their initial offerings, it seems to be very well carved out for them and if they deliver what they have been touting regardless of how many trucks Ford is able to deliver, there will still be plenty of customers out there to support Rivian.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Not sure what you are actually implying here.
There are no implications.

I've stated in my recent posts that lack of communication (Guides area only) leads to speculation on my part (just me, no one else I know about). I have absolutely no clue what is happening within Rivian's organization, or their relationship with Ford and no reason why I should, unless they had stock available to buy.

What I do know, is that Ford has a Board Member at Rivian. I'm guessing she is there, in part, to help protect Ford's investment, amongst other reasons. Ford will protect their investment if Rivian does well. No clue what the other reasons are, if there are any. That is why it is interesting to me. I know she's not there, just to be there. I would think there is some type of working relationship going on. Maybe not.

I'm not implying anything, other than what I've stated above. I'm a Rivian fan and want them to do well. I'm also a Ford fan. I like both vehicles.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
There are no implications.

I've stated in my recent posts that lack of communication (Guides area only) leads to speculation on my part (just me, no one else I know about). I have absolutely no clue what is happening within Rivian's organization, or their relationship with Ford and no reason why I should, unless they had stock available to buy.

What I do know, is that Ford has a Board Member at Rivian. I'm guessing she is there, in part, to help protect Ford's investment, amongst other reasons. Ford will protect their investment if Rivian does well. No clue what the other reasons are, if there are any. That is why it is interesting to me. I know she's not there, just to be there. I would think there is some type of working relationship going on. Maybe not.

I'm not implying anything, other than what I've stated above. I'm a Rivian fan and want them to do well. I'm also a Ford fan. I like both vehicles.
Couldn’t help myself:
Rivian R1T R1S What will we learn on Thursday?  A Predictions Thread... 1621736088215
Sponsored