RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
So many people so negative on Rivian when they have same troubles everyone else does.
Nobody else is trying to launch a brand from zero with vehicles that almost no one has driven. Ford will sell every single one of those F-series trucks, no sweat. Tesla also has built a fanatical following.

Rivian needs to get it right. They are not Tesla. They are not the only game in town. There two viable alternatives that will be arriving at the same time for most people. History is littered with vehicle manufactures that flamed out because they just couldn't nail it.
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
My impression at this point is it's probably more about the service centers than anything. The LEs that won't go out until the end will likely be 100% related to the fact that the area doesn't have one. If only Rivian would actually say it.
Herein lies the main issue, poor planning in not having more service centers opened. I have a fairly early pre-order, May 2019, and had been promised to get the largest battery pack first, yes I have the email stating that. Even though they are now stating MaxPack deliveries will start in Jan 22, I will likely still not be on that list because I live in Phoenix and there is no service center yet. My order date seems to mean nothing.

Why is it that Rivian will not publish a schedule for the opening of service centers?

Meanwhile I have ordered a Mach E and have a Hummer reservation. Plenty of service centers near me. These will get delivered based on order date.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Herein lies the main issue, poor planning in not having more service centers opened. I have a fairly early pre-order, May 2019, and had been promised to get the largest battery pack first, yes I have the email stating that. Even though they are now stating MaxPack deliveries will start in Jan 22, I will likely still not be on that list because I live in Phoenix and there is no service center yet. My order date seems to mean nothing.

Why is it that Rivian will not publish a schedule for the opening of service centers?

Meanwhile I have ordered a Mach E and have a Hummer reservation. Plenty of service centers near me. These will get delivered based on order date.
Could it be that they are hedging their bets? Not really sure if they will be success ? Haven’t realized that 99% of the time you won’t be driving in the bushes or outback, but driving in the streets? And that service centers cost big money to design, permit and build.. all over the country?

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, R1S (waiting for Max Pack)
Occupation
Construction

It is true that Ford and Gm are not starting up and have people and places already there. Much will likely done at first by there mobile people is what I think the email means that they have sent.
Buying from new company is different and maybe not for everyone. It is very hard for them to build everything fast everywhere and get the people set up. So much on permit and other is out of there control and people complain if they are even almost late from what they say so I can see not making schedule public. If no can wait then maybe others are better for you.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Could it be that they are hedging their bets? Not really sure if they will be success ? Haven’t realized that 99% of the time you won’t be driving in the bushes or outback, but driving in the streets? And that service centers cost big money to design, permit and build.. all over the country?
I know they have an address in the Phoenix area and that is where they are leasing some space from Toyota, at the Proving Grounds. All they need is some storage place for spare parts and a few trucks for mobile service. I am sure that the vast majority of customers for Rivian are within 2-3 hours drive of Phoenix.

From the pictures of some other sites, they are mostly remodeling existing buildings, and they are not large. There has been plenty of building going on in Phoenix, even during Covid, construction did not stop and was never shut down. Arizona is a huge market for trucks and SUVs.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Sarcasm? Or.....
I meant Arizona customers, I should have clarified. They seem to have one service center for all of Washington State, so why not just one for Arizona.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Perhaps, because the zoning, permitting, and construction processes (with all the Covid supply chain issues) makes it nearly impossible to predict when they'll be able to open their service centers. Would you prefer they produce a bunch of "tentative" dates - only to have those dates slip and slip?

I'd rather they not communicate specific openings until they happen. I mean, what exactly would we do with the information if we had it - what actions might we take? For me, my actions won't change - when my name gets picked and I get called by a Guide, then I'll evaluate my alternatives and decide what to do. Until then, it's only self-abuse (IMHO).

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

Perhaps, because the zoning, permitting, and construction processes (with all the Covid supply chain issues) makes it nearly impossible to predict when they'll be able to open their service centers. Would you prefer they produce a bunch of "tentative" dates - only to have those dates slip and slip?

I'd rather they not communicate specific openings until they happen. I mean, what exactly would we do with the information if we had it - what actions might we take? For me, my actions won't change - when my name gets picked and I get called by a Guide, then I'll evaluate my alternatives and decide what to do. Until then, it's only self-abuse (IMHO).
For me, its not go insane waiting at the drip for information about areas that have yet to be contacted. Others need to plan vehicle timelines so anything is more helpful. Even if it's not good news, it helps set expectations if you are in an area that won't see a Rivian for a while.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
For a company that touted it's ability to do mobile service, it seems really peculiar that service center locations is such a factor. I'm beginning to feel like these initial calls were just that - very initial.

Perhaps Rivian wants to have a super small subset of folks that they can easily support before they start rolling them out en masse. Alternatively, this first group might a be just a token group - a way to show something, anything, regarding build and delivery progress.

Regardless, I doubt we'll get these answer this week (if ever) and I also doubt that we'll hear from additional forum members stating they were contacted by guides.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’m sure a lot of the support infrastructure will be mobile techs. It is not feasible that they can stand up service centers in all locations in the next 12 months.

Even with the mobile techs though, it will take time to get the people on boarded, adequately trained, and deployed out to all of the locations.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Even with the mobile techs though, it will take time to get the people on boarded, adequately trained, and deployed out to all of the locations.
And even when done, there is going to be some serious underutilization for quite some time after launch.

At the end of the day though, this seems to be a rather straight forward problem to solve - certainly nothing that is special or unique to Rivian. It should not be a significant issue.

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, R1S (waiting for Max Pack)
Occupation
Construction
I think that since they make small numbers to start it makes sense to send them only a few places instead of one here one there one way over somewhere else. If not in those places some will cry a little but not everyone can get theirs first some must wait

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
For a company that touted it's ability to do mobile service, it seems really peculiar that service center locations is such a factor. I'm beginning to feel like these initial calls were just that - very initial.
Agreed.

And a new vehicle should require no mobile service for months.... So they have time to deliver and build up their service network.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Agreed.

And a new vehicle should require no mobile service for months.... So they have time to deliver and build up their service network.
As a new company, would you bet on a vehicle in customers hands not having an issue of some sort, and then also them not complain about it?

If they put a vehicle out without the support network in place, Rivian would be a very short lived company
Sponsored