What will we learn 5/17-5/23?

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Rivian has to have a V2G/H solution at launch or they are going to lose a fair # of customers IMO.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Rivian has to have a V2G/H solution at launch or they are going to lose a fair # of customers IMO.
I don’t know.

I would be disappointed if they don’t have it especially when they have said the vehicle to vehicle charging is there.

But for me it is on the nice to have side and not a deal killer.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'll be surprised pleasantly if they do.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Out of curiosity, what is needed physically in the vehicle to allow V2X?
Because if it can be done with the current design and they can add it post launch then great. But if they need to wait till later year models redesign, I might wait till that plus removable top.
I didn’t think anything would make me wait, but I would like to have this purchase leave me with as little regrets as possible.

hensot01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
VP
I agree V2H might be the game changer for me. If Rivian can guaranty V2H can be added via software upgrade after launch then I'm all in. If it takes a new model change I will switch. Hate to give up LE but that would be a deal breaker for me.

Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
I disagree. It's more than cool...it is necessary. For a very utilitarian vehicle (that's how it's being marketed), Rivian really needs to include V2H as it's a huge selling point for buyers. That massive battery that comes in trucks really need to serve more than one purpose. Ford really nailed it. I priced back up power for my home... 3 Tesla Powerwalls with 90 amps of power but a paltry 40.5 kWh of energy storage. Ford is right there with max output but triple++ the energy storage. Price for the Tesla back up? $32K. This is 100% FREE with the Ford. Very very compelling and will hurt Rivian if they don't include some level of V2H.
I have a home battery and thought the same thing. I paid about $25k for it, got the 30% tax credit and then a self generation rebate from the power company. I wonder if this truck would qualify for SGIP in California that would be amazing.....

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Out of curiosity, what is needed physically in the vehicle to allow V2X?
V2H/G needs a DCFC connector - they use the DC pins.
V2L requires an inverter that provides external AC power

It is worth noting that the CCS communication standards (ISO 15118) for bidirectional charging (V2H/G) have not been finalized .
A bit on ISO 15118-20:
https://v2g-clarity.com/blog/new-features-and-timeline-for-iso15118-20/#wpt

Unless Ford is going to do their own thing and create their own standard (unlikely), they will be implementing the CCS/ISO specs for communication. It is in character for Rivian to forego announcing compliance with a standard that is not finalized. Ford seems to be banking on it being completed before they start shipping.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I don’t know.

I would be disappointed if they don’t have it especially when they have said the vehicle to vehicle charging is there.

But for me it is on the nice to have side and not a deal killer.
Personally I do not care about this feature, or the high power output to run tools and other stuff. I think they are cool features that Ford has offered. But I also think that Rivian and Hummer are better trucks for me personally.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

This is Rivian, you should know better by now.

I'm betting there is equivalent or better V2X capabilities, but they just haven't talked about any of it yet.
I too think there will be something similar from Rivian.

They did speak about V2V long ago especially for off roading, they also came up with a solution during Long Way Up to charge the Harley Davidson bikes off the Rivians charge port mid way through the journey.

Fingers crossed

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
This is Rivian, you should know better by now.

I'm betting there is equivalent or better V2X capabilities, but they just haven't talked about any of it yet.
I’ve asked Rivian directly about V2H and even offered some companies that are working on compatible home unit that could handle it. Rivian said they are interested but the R1T in my case is not capable for V2H at this time. It’s a big miss for me.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I’ve asked Rivian directly about V2H and even offered some companies that are working on compatible home unit that could handle it. Rivian said they are interested but the R1T in my case is not capable for V2H at this time. It’s a big miss for me.
Better than what I got. " The vehicle-to-home charging is one of my favorite features of the new F-150 Lightning as well. We will be sharing more details around Rivian vehicles and their charging capabilities soon! "

I did touch on deliveries and Guide contacts for LE customers and...
"Guide contacts remain slated to begin here in May. It'll be great hearing our community's reactions to the good news that they're on their way to Rivian ownership!"

He also reaffirmed they are delivering in June.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I guess Vehicle to Grid/Home is nice but that is so off of a feature route as we have underground power and have never had a power outage in the time we have owned our home. Maybe for camping or what have you it would make sense but even then not on any list of priority for the average person.

Ty012

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi
Was there anything on the F150’s off road capability or clearance numbers? I like the F150 and Ford getting into the EV game with the F150 (and the MachE) but I’m not sure the target customer is the same, other than “electric truck” Rivian is targeting adventure, camping, off roading etc. Ford seems to be targeting a more general customer as well as work trucks. I like both for different reasons, but the Rivian fits what I want more at this point in my life.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Given Rivian and Fords various relationships I wonder if Rivian had advanced knowledge of the F 150 V2H aspersions
Sponsored