Sponsored

What happens to customer returns?

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Are they being resold as new? Do customers know the car is a return?
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Do you have any evidence or articles to support this claim?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Are they being resold as new?
That would be both illegal and unethical.... 1000% no chance that is happening. Once a vehicle has been Titled, it can no longer be sold as "new".

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
When Tesla was doing this, they would just delay titling until the return period had elapsed. Thus, the car was still new. I’m not suggesting that Rivian is doing this, but I am wondering where these vehicles go.

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

When Tesla was doing this, they would just delay titling until the return period had elapsed. Thus, the car was still new. I’m not suggesting that Rivian is doing this, but I am wondering where these vehicles go.
Seems like a better title then would be “What happens to Customer returns”. As written seems to assume they are being sold or infer some knowledge that they are being sold to unknowing customers.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I would hope they aren’t doing that. Highly unethical. Wouldn’t surprise me if Tesla tried to find a way to do it.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
My neighbor (works for rivian) brings low mileage testers home all the time. Probably 50 different R1's over the past 2 years. My guess is, he is testing and driving some of the returns that ultimately become Rivian test mules. No hard facts, but that's because I never really asked. Recently, he brought home an F150 lightning test mule, but that is a whole different story.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I imagine they have incentive to keep them as service loaners

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Seems like a better title then would be “What happens to Customer returns”. As written seems to assume they are being sold or infer some knowledge that they are being sold to unknowing customers.
Well, eventually they have to be resold. Rivian can’t use all of them as service loaners or company cars, and they’re not going to be scrapped. The only question is how they are being sold. I changed the title, though, to avoid confusion. Who knows, maybe they are being sent to the crusher!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Well, eventually they have to be resold. Rivian can’t use all of them as service loaners or company cars, and they’re not going to be scrapped. The only question is how they are being sold. I changed the title, though, to avoid confusion. Who knows, maybe they are being sent to the crusher!
They can sell them. They just can’t sell them as *new* if it’s been titled by a customer once already If I recall it took Tesla quite some time before they started reselling used Teslas Maybe Rivian is just holding onto them and down the road they will do the same.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I imagine they have incentive to keep them as service loaners
I could be wrong, but I’d don’t think service centers are offering Rivian loaners at present. Perhaps there have been no returns? It would be nice to eventually get a Rivian loaner.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The Rivian Return Policy is 7 days or 1,000 miles. I imagine it would be rather difficult for Rivian to explain why their "new" vehicle 750 miles on it to the "next" customer o_O

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
You seem to think there are a lot of these out there. I would be very surprised if there have been more than a handful of these to begin with. From there we have seen a few hundred vehicles sold used, we do not know that any of those could have been from this return policy. I would say if there were any done the number is very small and they are using them for service vehicles, loaners, and demo drives.

Edit; One last thought up until now, maybe for a few more months, why would anyone return a vehicle they could sell for a profit? That is probably why we are not really hearing of any returns.

Last edited:

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

This one is easy. Bring in some sort of bean counter and they would suggest this:

Mobile service vehicles

Employee fleet vehicles

Loaner vehicles

Test Mules

Pre Price Hike Customers with annoying questions

Pre Price hike customers with freemium upgrades likes launch edition, glacier white, ocean coast.

Customers not using Rivian financing or insurance.

I am just kidding about all of the above.

Have a good night.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I could be wrong, but I’d don’t think service centers are offering Rivian loaners at present. Perhaps there have been no returns? It would be nice to eventually get a Rivian loaner.
Incorrect; they most definitely do have loaners and have for some time. At least at some service centers.
Sponsored