Sponsored

What Else Are You Considering?

What Else Are You Considering (Among Electric Vehicles)?

• Total voters

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I have been watching, contemplating R1S for a while.

My alternate choices - Volvo XC90 EV replacement due next year. Maybe Polestar 3, if it has a useable 3rd row.

My reservation with R1S so far is its "estimated" efficiency. A 135kwh pack with a range of 300+ miles isn't very efficient for a EV.
I think the efficiency is pretty decent considering it's a 'normal' suv. My guess is the f150 lightening will be somewhat worse (bigger) and the hummer will be way worse (much bigger and less aerodynamic).

At the moment there really isn't anything else I'm considering since there isn't anything that has the same utility and capability.
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Anyone else keeping their eye on the Subaru Solterra? There isn't a lot of info out on it, but if it is priced in Model Y territory (post-EV credits) and comes with Subaru's trail/off-road abilities, it could be a very compelling option. I imagine it being a more direct competitor to a theoretical Rivian R2S - smaller, less powerful, only 2 rows etc - but with their target date of summer 2022, Subaru would get a huge head start on that market of more affordable adventure EVs.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Anyone else keeping their eye on the Subaru Solterra? There isn't a lot of info out on it, but if it is priced in Model Y territory (post-EV credits) and comes with Subaru's trail/off-road abilities, it could be a very compelling option. I imagine it being a more direct competitor to a theoretical Rivian R2S - smaller, less powerful, only 2 rows etc - but with their target date of summer 2022, Subaru would get a huge head start on that market of more affordable adventure EVs.
This will also be available from Toyota as the "bZ4X".
Both should be significantly less than the Model Y with a speculated base of ~$37K, fully loaded in the mid $40Ks. And they have the $7,500 Tax Credit available.

Zeroemit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 Hybrid
I think the efficiency is pretty decent considering it's a 'normal' suv. My guess is the f150 lightening will be somewhat worse (bigger) and the hummer will be way worse (much bigger and less aerodynamic).

At the moment there really isn't anything else I'm considering since there isn't anything that has the same utility and capability.
Assuming 130kwh of usable energy out of the 135kwh, with electric cost of $ .22/kwh, and assuming range 320 miles - that will be $28.6 to charge up full.

At 10000 miles a year driving = $893. 75

Some hybrids (Toyota) energy cost are cheaper, using regular gas. Energy cost relative to a ICE non hybrid SUV its pretty decent. This is my biggest hesitation with Rivian so far.

I realize the performance spec of R1S as advertised is really great and I love the traditional SUV look over the jelly bean style of Tesla. If the Volvo XC90 EV gets about same efficiency I would lean towards the R1S, but with Volvo's Concept model revealed it sure looks lot more aerodynamic than the R1S.

I'll have to wait and see.

PS - Toyota/Lexus, if they get a RX class EV out that would certainly be another consideration. However, i think they are few years away from a production EV in that class.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I hadn't been thinking about the electric cost since I put solar on our house and oversized it anticipating another electric vehicle and electrifying our home heating. It's nice to not care about rate increases like the 13% that we are getting from xcel. Also doing it myself means about a 4 year break-even on it.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
This will also be available from Toyota as the "bZ4X".
Both should be significantly less than the Model Y with a speculated base of ~$37K, fully loaded in the mid $40Ks. And they have the $7,500 Tax Credit available.
Fully loaded in the mid $40ks, pre credits? They will sell incredibly well if that's the case, although supply constraints will throw a wrench in those plans.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I hadn't seen much on this, but I like what I see so far!

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I'm for sure getting an EV. I like the R1S more than any of the other options, for the room and the capabilities. Plus, I'm a big fan of the style. I've got a reservation on a Hummer SUV as well, but am not likely to pull the trigger. I see a few comments about how it's "much more expensive". But even well appointed with 800v architecture, it's only marginally more expensive than my current R1S configuration. I just think it might be too much vehicle for me. And that's with having to find space for 3 kids.

I really do wish there were more 3-row options out there. I really love the Polestar 2, and have been on the fence about ordering one. I guess I'd call it my backup if something goes sideways with Rivian.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Assuming 130kwh of usable energy out of the 135kwh, with electric cost of $ .22/kwh, and assuming range 320 miles - that will be $28.6 to charge up full.

At 10000 miles a year driving = $893. 75
You need to allow about 10% (+/-2%) for charging losses.

At 10%, it would take 143 kWh from the wall to get 130 kWh into the battery.

No oil changes, brake pads, etc on a BEV contribute additional savings as well. People that put lots of miles on benefit more (as do those that get electricity closer to the national average of $.11 per kWh)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Here are some examples (fuel cost only) assuming 450 watts per mile on the R1S (using 2 miles per KW to adjust for charging loss and vampire drain.

Texas
Rivian R1T R1S What Else Are You Considering? 1630614446774

SoCal

Rivian R1T R1S What Else Are You Considering? 1630614477707

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
So, did anyone pre-ordered the Lyric today?

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
So, did anyone pre-ordered the Lyric today?
Yep. One more added to the list and I don't even drive cars. ? The Sales Lady from Cadillac called while I was on the phone ordering. I have no idea how she did that. I did tell her it was my third choice, with Rivian being the top, but that I would take whatever was available to me first.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yep. One more added to the list and I don't even drive cars. ? The Sales Lady from Cadillac called while I was on the phone ordering. I have no idea how she did that. I did tell her it was my third choice, with Rivian being the top, but that I would take whatever was available to me first.
You must have been quick. It sold out in 19 minutes….. They did not say how many they planned for 2023.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
I tried placing order for Lriq but couldn’t go past dealer selection (tried from 2 different machines) and gave up afterwards. The whole ordering process was joke, felt it was marketing ploy to create message sold out in X minutes. Complete waste of time and don’t think I will ever consider GM cars again.

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
We have 2 kids and a dog, so within model y/id4/etc territory. However I have a boat that needs at least 5000 lb rating. My tows are mostly short which works for an ev, and I'm doing a ton of highway driving now. My wife got a model 3 and I love it, and now that the charger is right there I really feel how much I'm spending on gas with the truck.

I have really enjoyed the truck but could be happy in something smaller, but the problem is the towing requirement. If a model x was in the 75k range I'd probably have gotten one already even though that's way more than I'd ever considered spending on a vehicle.

I'm still debating just keeping the truck for a beater tow truck and just getting a crossover like a model y or something for the 90+ percent of the time I'm not towing.

I like the R1T /R1S as options so have a reservation but can't decide what to do yet.
Sponsored