Sponsored

What $70K ICE car would you have gotten ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Please tell me you had those on your corvair
Absolutely! I even kept them on it for several extra months after moving to Idaho.

Wish I had pics, but that was way back when etchings and petroglyphs were the main form of capturing images. ??
Sponsored

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
I'd keep my existing ICE vehicles.
A controversial take, but I'm interested in the R1T despite it being a BEV.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Yes, I agree those are the only options available right now, and both require adapters. My assertion that there are no options for charging a Rivian and a Tesla on a single circuit without using adapters is was what started the discussion in this thread about load sharing chargers.
I jumped in with my experience after that context was lost.

It is a downside to buying a Rivian as opposed to a 2nd Tesla, if you are already own a Tesla.
"Downside" is up to the beholder"

It is not an insurmountable challenge, but I'll need to upgrade the electric service to my house from 100A to 200A, replace the main circuit breaker, and then add another wire from the breaker to my garage which is on the opposite side of the house. In the end it will be fine, but the increased cost of setting up a 2nd charger is going to eat into some of the cost savings VS a Model X where I could just do 2 Tesla HPWC's.
I agree it is not an insurmountable challenge.

Because you can just get a couple wallboxs and then throw a permanent J1772->Tesla adapter on one of them.

Definitely way easier and cheaper than significant electrical upgrades.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I've been present for MANY people's transition from ICE to BEV. Starting with me and then my wife, up through countless family, and friends, and coworkers.

Once you drive the R1T - especially if you ever do actual work with it (Heavy payload, tow, etc) - you'll look at pure electric as a win instead of a "despite."

Sponsored

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
I've been present for MANY people's transition from ICE to BEV. Starting with me and then my wife, up through countless family, and friends, and coworkers.

Once you drive the R1T - especially if you ever do actual work with it (Heavy payload, tow, etc) - you'll look at pure electric as a win instead of a "despite."
I know fully well what to expect from electric - both good and bad. This is why my Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel isn't going anywhere due to it's 600+ mile range and overall capability. ;)

screamingkarts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S LE, Jeep Wrangler 4Xe
Clubs

Probably not a $70K ICE. Or not even buy a new car and continued with my 2018 Pathfinder !

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The funny thing is I saw 2014 when I read it as well (twice), wasn't until he said time travel that I saw the transposed digits (third time reading it)...

That is why I could never be a proof reader....
I had to be a very diligent proof reader of my auditors' reports for years. I used to find typos that three other sets of eyes missed after at least two rounds of prep. I once sent them an email asking if they thought it might raise eyebrows with their reported finding that "The audit found controls to be in place and functioning properly, as ll of the 87 transactions sampled were found to have been properly completed." The responses I got back were along the lines of "How could the results be any better?"

They saw what they wanted to see and didn't catch that they had left the letter "a" out of the word "all". That one missing letter made a huge difference, all the difference. Numbers can be even tougher, because they're never misspelled, but they can be the wrong number.

Like SANZ here, I saw 2014 a number of times before doubling back one more time. It's humbling to admit that fact, but now I'm more worried that this note has typos.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Congrats on being able to sell your GC.

My daughter has informed me her grand plan is to sell here Jeep Unlimited and inherit my GC when the R1S is delivered….
SANZ,

Her Grand plan for your Grand Cherokee. I see that as meaning several Grand will be in play for you. ;)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

R_1_T,

I take great pride in keeping my ICE-mobiles running well. I love them all and try to do right by them every day. When I returned home from Normal, I was broken-hearted to discover that someone must have busted into my garage and detuned all of them. They all rattle and thump and make groaning and clicking noises I've never heard before. To be honest, they're a little smellier than they used to be, as well.

I still love them all, but the R1T will likely be viewed with derision, and as "Dad's favorite" in pretty short order.

Luckily, those that messed with the cars didn't steal anything, but they did manage to shrink all of my clothes and put 'em right back where I left them. Strange, and a little twisted.....

BTW, I’m not planning on sending any of my current ICE machines packing once the R1T arrives. That could change if the used market remains hot and Rivian wants a well-maintained 2015 XC60 R-Design with the Polestar Performance Package. It’s currently wearing a set of newer PS4S tires with a new set of Hakka’s for the Winter in storage.

Last edited:

Sponsored

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
R_1_T,

I take great pride in keeping my ICE-mobiles running well. I love them all and try to do right by them every day.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm used to hopping between very different vehicles in the stable, and seamlessly making the according adjustments. Supercharged V6 w/manual, Turbo Diesel, or PHEV Wrangler. Each of the vehicles have their own set of memories they helped create, and the R1T can't take them away regardless of its capabilities. Make some new memories along the way, for sure.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I understand what you're saying, but I'm used to hopping between very different vehicles in the stable, and seamlessly making the according adjustments. Supercharged V6 w/manual, Turbo Diesel, or PHEV Wrangler. Each of the vehicles have their own set of memories they helped create, and the R1T can't take them away regardless of its capabilities. Make some new memories along the way, for sure.
Before I caught your note, I appended mine to express much the same sentiment. Until getting my Mazda Tribute into my nephew’s hands, I wore it as a badge of honor (though I doubt anybody else would see it that way) that I had a 6-speed, a 5-speed, a 4-speed, a 3-speed, a 2-speed, and a 1-speed. Now, with the R1T and the Caddy ELR PHEV, I’ll have what I call two 1-speeds. I love the variety, no matter how awkward the transition might feel when switching between vehicles. Given the nature and level of difficulty in sourcing parts for the old Corvair, as I’ve said elsewhere, it may get converted to an EV, but time will tell.

Many memories in each of them. Almost all of them great!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Before I caught your note, I appended mine to express much the same sentiment. Until getting my Mazda Tribute into my nephew’s hands, I wore it as a badge of honor (though I doubt anybody else would see it that way) that I had a 6-speed, a 5-speed, a 4-speed, a 3-speed, a 2-speed, and a 1-speed. Now, with the R1T and the Caddy ELR PHEV, I’ll have what I call two 1-speeds. I love the variety, no matter how awkward the transition might feel when switching between vehicles. Given the nature and level of difficulty in sourcing parts for the old Corvair, as I’ve said elsewhere, it may get converted to an EV, but time will tell.

Many memories in each of them. Almost all of them great!
wait, what in the world are your 2 and 1-speeds?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

wait, what in the world are your 2 and 1-speeds?
The '63 Corvair has Chevy's 2-Speed Power-Glide transmission and the Caddy ELR has Drive, which is a 1-speed, as there's no gearing. The one-pedal mode is that same single speed with .2g's of regen automatically added upon pedal lift.

With the Corvair, as with my old '63 Impala (with Power-Glide), flooring it might allow you to exceed 50 before it dropped into second gear.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The '63 Corvair has Chevy's 2-Speed Power-Glide transmission and the Caddy ELR has Drive, which is a 1-speed, as there's no gearing. The one-pedal mode is that same single speed with .2g's of regen automatically added upon pedal lift.

With the Corvair, as with my old '63 Impala (with Power-Glide), flooring it might allow you to exceed 50 before it dropped into second gear.
Oh interesting. Didn't know about the 2-speed Corvair. That's interesting. Thinking about it, I probably could call my old subaru a 1 speed too with a CVT. :p
Sponsored