Sponsored

What $70K ICE car would you have gotten ?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I wouldn't have spent $70K on an ICE vehicle. I'm willing to spend for 1) performance, & 2) electric.

If there was no R1S, my DD would still be a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Man, I wish I hadn't sold it so soon...I was too optimistic about my potential delivery timeframe.
Sponsored

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This would be my choice as well - although it makes me throw up in my mouth just a little to even think about having to purchase anything from a dealership again, especially in this market.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Similar to a lot of people in this thread, I also won't buy another ICE car. I'd keep my GTI and 4Runner until a compelling EV.

Ginny

First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
Similar to a lot of people in this thread, I also won't buy another ICE car. I'd keep my GTI and 4Runner until a compelling EV.
I would keep my cadillac escalade ext. I love this truck but want my next to be electric!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I wouldn't have spent $70K on an ICE vehicle. I'm willing to spend for 1) performance, & 2) electric.

If there was no R1S, my DD would still be a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Man, I wish I hadn't sold it so soon...I was too optimistic about my potential delivery timeframe.
Congrats on being able to sell your GC.

My daughter has informed me her grand plan is to sell here Jeep Unlimited and inherit my GC when the R1S is delivered….

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
My daughter has informed me her grand plan is to sell here Jeep Unlimited and inherit my GC when the R1S is delivered….
Gotta love how they make these decisions for us, huh? Luckily, I have a few years before I am forced to deal with driving & vehicle issues.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I got all excited for a moment, then disappointment set in when I got to wallbox's website and couldn't find any products with Tesla plugs on them. Re-reading your post, you are using the adapter to charge your Tesla which is not something I would be willing to do on a daily basis.
So put a Tesla plug on one (by which I mean get a qualified electrician to put a Tesla plug on one) but why not just get a Tesla HPWC. They are cheaper than Wallbox (or at least they were when I bought my Quasar six months ago.)

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
2022 Ford Raptor R. That’s next for me.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I got all excited for a moment, then disappointment set in when I got to wallbox's website and couldn't find any products with Tesla plugs on them. Re-reading your post, you are using the adapter to charge your Tesla which is not something I would be willing to do on a daily basis.
Our Tesla still has its J1772 adapter in the car at all times for use away from home.
At home, we bought an extra one to leave plugged into the Wallbox full time.

I'm not sure what the objection is to plugging that in to your Tesla overnight vs only ever plugging in a Tesla connector.

They're electrically identical.

If you need networked chargers for a mixed car household, you have precisely two options:
1 - (2) Tesla HPWC, using a janky Tesla-to-J1772 adapter for the other car
2 - (2) Non-Tesla chargers, using a tried-and-true J1772-to-Tesla adapter on the Tesla.

We much prefer the one that is factory supported.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Not a GM product, and you can buy 10 Rivians for the price of one, but:
https://genovationcars.com/
One of the drivetrain engineers has his shop just down the road from you, and the inverters/controllers are also from a Portland area company.
DucRider,

I thought I'd heard GM & Chevy will be making the ElectriVette, as I call it, but no doubt it will greatly exceed this thread's threshold of $70k by many multiples, no matter the manufacturer.

Your timing on the other part of your message is impeccable! Thanks for the heads-up on genovationcars. I was already going to get engine bay and frunk pics this week of my '63 Corvair to start shopping the process of converting it to an EV. It's a pretty good candidate, given that it has the original Frunk, which would be ideal for at least a portion of battery storage, while also being unincumbered by all of the cooling mechanisms of a water-cooled engine. The rear-engine, rear-drive set up is ideal for conversion. Such a move makes zero financial sense, but consider the source.

Now, if Oregon would just change their license plate regulations to accept seven characters instead of only six, maybe they'd allow me to have the same plates I did in California years ago:

Rivian R1T R1S What $70K ICE car would you have gotten ? 20210825_104956

I still marvel that these got past their DMV censors. I asked for them as a joke after finding every spelling or take on the Nader-centric line "UNSAFE" had already been taken. When asked if I had another choice, I jokingly said "how about 'F.O.NADER' ". The nice woman behind the counter asked what that stood for? In a rare moment of clarity, I came back with " 'Friends of Nader', it's a small consumer safety group." I didn't think they took me seriously, but was thrilled when the plates showed up.

I got so many thumbs ups, horn honks, and smiles with those plates on my beat-up old Corvair while rolling around Marina del Rey, Hollywood, and along Sunset and the PCH. I seemed to get them from everyone. All but that one neighbor who was always dressed up, making speeches to no one, from his front porch, and then interrupting his own "speech" to point and yell at the kids "Stay the hell out of my yard!" Luckily, I captured a pic of him in the act. Jeez! What a killjoy!:

Rivian R1T R1S What $70K ICE car would you have gotten ? 1629914939873

This was taken on a Sunday morning, while everyone else was either still sleeping, walking their dog, mowing their yard, or in church. Some guys.....

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
DucRider,

I thought I'd heard GM & Chevy will be making the ElectriVette, as I call it, but no doubt it will greatly exceed this thread's threshold of $70k by many multiples, no matter the manufacturer.

Your timing on the other part of your message is impeccable! Thanks for the heads-up on genovationcars. I was already going to get engine bay and frunk pics this week of my '63 Corvair to start shopping the process of converting it to an EV. It's a pretty good candidate, given that it has the original Frunk, which would be ideal for at least a portion of battery storage, while also being unincumbered by all of the cooling mechanisms of a water-cooled engine. The rear-engine, rear-drive set up is ideal for conversion. Such a move makes zero financial sense, but consider the source.

Now, if Oregon would just change their license plate regulations to accept seven characters instead of only six, maybe they'd allow me to have the same plates I did in California years ago:

20210825_104956.jpg

I still marvel that these got past their DMV censors. I asked for them as a joke after finding every spelling or take on the Nader-centric line "UNSAFE" had already been taken. When asked if I had another choice, I jokingly said "how about 'F.O.NADER' ". The nice woman behind the counter asked what that stood for? In a rare moment of clarity, I came back with " 'Friends of Nader', it's a small consumer safety group." I didn't think they took me seriously, but was thrilled when the plates showed up.

I got so many thumbs ups, horn honks, and smiles with those plates on my beat-up old Corvair while rolling around Marina del Rey, Hollywood, and along Sunset and the PCH. I seemed to get them from everyone. All but that one neighbor who was always dressed up, making speeches to no one, from his front porch, and then interrupting his own "speech" to point and yell at the kids "Stay the hell out of my yard!" Luckily, I captured a pic of him in the act. Jeez! What a killjoy!:

1629914939873.png

This was taken on a Sunday morning, while everyone else was either still sleeping, walking their dog, mowing their yard, or in church. Some guys.....
Please tell me you had those on your corvair

Reactions: Rad

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
If you need networked chargers for a mixed car household, you have precisely two options:
1 - (2) Tesla HPWC, using a janky Tesla-to-J1772 adapter for the other car
2 - (2) Non-Tesla chargers, using a tried-and-true J1772-to-Tesla adapter on the Tesla.
Yes, I agree those are the only options available right now, and both require adapters. My assertion that there are no options for charging a Rivian and a Tesla on a single circuit without using adapters is was what started the discussion in this thread about load sharing chargers.

It is a downside to buying a Rivian as opposed to a 2nd Tesla, if you are already own a Tesla.

It is not an insurmountable challenge, but I'll need to upgrade the electric service to my house from 100A to 200A, replace the main circuit breaker, and then add another wire from the breaker to my garage which is on the opposite side of the house. In the end it will be fine, but the increased cost of setting up a 2nd charger is going to eat into some of the cost savings VS a Model X where I could just do 2 Tesla HPWC's.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
DucRider,

If you are looking to shop it out:
https://www.shiftev.com/

Catalog of go fast parts from a local company that was bought by Borg Warner a couple of years ago:
https://www.cascadiamotion.com/images/catalog/CascadiaMotionCatalogWeb.pdf

The Genovation uses these components, as did the eCOPO crate motor concept that they put in the Camaro they built for SEMA (and turned some 9 second 1/4s)
https://www.motortrend.com/news/ecopo-crate-engine-way-forward/

There are a few folks I connect you with that have done their own conversions if you are interested. The most renowned is probably John "Plasma Boy" Wayland of White Zombie fame:

Short version of how he got his nickname:
Suddenly, the arc flashed into a higher state, and a brilliant blue plasma ball, maybe 6 inches in diameter, formed and seemed to float just above the batteries. It was as if an alien being had taken over the car, and it was scary as hell!
Longer version:
http://www.evdl.org/pages/plasmaboy.html

This was from the late 1990's when he started ripping up PIR in the Pro Street class. Google "White Zombie electric car" for those that want to go down a bit of a rabbit hole.

Don't know if you realized that GM did an electric Corvair concept back in the day:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Yes, I agree those are the only options available right now, and both require adapters. My assertion that there are no options for charging a Rivian and a Tesla on a single circuit without using adapters is was what started the discussion in this thread about load sharing chargers.

It is a downside to buying a Rivian as opposed to a 2nd Tesla, if you are already own a Tesla.

It is not an insurmountable challenge, but I'll need to upgrade the electric service to my house from 100A to 200A, replace the main circuit breaker, and then add another wire from the breaker to my garage which is on the opposite side of the house. In the end it will be fine, but the increased cost of setting up a 2nd charger is going to eat into some of the cost savings VS a Model X where I could just do 2 Tesla HPWC's.
You can graft a J1772 onto a HPWC in place of the Tesla connector as a 3rd option that would not require adapters.
QC Charge sells them in both 40A and 80A flavors (currently out of stock), but possible to DIY as well (if you are not extremely confident in doing so, probably best not to attempt this yourself).
https://qccharge.com/collections/ev...mium-40-amp-wall-mounted-j1772-charge-station
Sponsored