Sponsored

What $70K ICE car would you have gotten ?

KurtP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Hey Everyone, just wondering, If Rivian did not provide a suitable option for a (relatively) large EV SUV, what similarly priced ICE SUV would you have considered getting?
Do you have concerns about the quality and reliability of the Rivian R1S vs. a legacy ICE based substitute ?

Personally - I like the Range Rover sport, hence why the R1S caught my eye.
Sponsored

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
BMW X5
Not really. Nobody is going to put such a strong warranty on something they weren't sure would be relatively problem free.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Hey Everyone, just wondering, If Rivian did not provide a suitable option for a (relatively) large EV SUV, what similarly priced ICE SUV would you have considered getting?
Do you have concerns about the quality and reliability of the Rivian R1S vs. a legacy ICE based substitute ?

Personally - I like the Range Rover sport, hence why the R1S caught my eye.
Probably the Defender, or Landcruiser, but I saw that it may not even make it to the US. Another option would be the XC90 [ seats and sound system are hard to beat]

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I want to go back to a truck. The problem is there isn't one currently on the market that I'm in love with.

The interior of the RAM 1500 is the nicest.
The exterior of the GMC Sierra Denali is the nicest.
Ford ticks the box for the only available hybrid.

What I really would want is a mix of the three.

If you're asking ONLY about SUVs, then I'd probably go with a Volvo XC90 T8 Recharge.

Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If I want an EV, Model Y (but not a fan of EM). If I want an offroader, a Defender 110 or a J200 Land Cruiser (but F toyota for their anti-EV stance). But I'm at a point where I'm not going ICE going forward

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
If no other 7-pax BEV SUV is available in the next couple of years, I will likely opt for XC90 Recharge.

GR

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
None. I am happy with my expedition, so I wouldn't be looking to make a change if it weren't for the R1S.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
SInce I already have a 4WD truck that I will keep and run into the ground, my Rivian interest/pre-order is more about the vehicle tech, not that it's a pickup or SUV. So if I were going to buy an ICE instead, my short list is either an M3 or a C8 Corvette. Seriously.

Sponsored

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I really like the new Grand Cherokee L. The tech in it looks really nice for the price point. I worry about long-term reliability with a Stellantis product though

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
A $70k ev probably equates to a $40k ICE vehicle when taking into account $4/gal gas and maintenance over ten years

So…Tacoma

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
If no other 7-pax BEV SUV is available in the next couple of years, I will likely opt for XC90 Recharge.
Love it or hate it, the Model X *is* a 7-pax BEV SUV.

The 7-pax R1S will undoubtedly be more comfortable in the rear row, have more storage, and be more capable off-road... But it won't be the first 7-pax BEV SUV to market.

That said, it's not the ICE alternative OP was asking about ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
SInce I already have a 4WD truck that I will keep and run into the ground, my Rivian interest/pre-order is more about the vehicle tech, not that it's a pickup or SUV. So if I were going to buy an ICE instead, my short list is either an M3 or a C8 Corvette. Seriously.
M2 Competition, for me.

Nothing ticks all the boxes for us like the R1T does though.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I will not ever buy another ICE. If Rivian fails to deliver, the backup plan is either a Model X, or to just wait for someone else to make an EV that meets our needs.

I'm not sure if I actually like the R1S more than the Model X(there are things I like more about the Rivian, but there also things I like more about the Tesla X), but the $35,000 price difference makes it an easy decision to go with Rivian.
Sponsored

Last edited: