First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Over a year ago Wassym said they were testing it. Since then not a word, but they did roll out shortcuts. I hope the two aren’t the same in their minds because shortcuts are very slow and take two taps. And I have an Ultra. Used once after rollout and haven’t bothered since. Too slow.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
With all the issues they have had with PAAK, I have to wonder if WAAK has its own challenges to get working correctly. I suspect that the watch emits a lower power signal, which could create more challenges to having reliable, consistent operation.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Aaargh. I don’t want to have to buy another FOB 😡
You don't need to. PAAK works well now (IMO). I've not touched my FOB since day after delivery. If you need to valet, you have two keycards. And if you just can't let go of the past, Fobs do turn up for sale here and on eBay. PAAK works so well now that I wouldn't be sore if WAK never materialize, since—outside of home—I always have my phone on me anyway. Around the holidays I even thought about buying a keyband off of eBay, but quickly realized it'd be a wa$te since I usually have my phone.

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
You don't need to. PAAK works well now (IMO). I've not touched my FOB since day after delivery. If you need to valet, you have two keycards. And if you just can't let go of the past, Fobs do turn up for sale here and on eBay. PAAK works so well now that I wouldn't be sore if WAK never materialize, since—outside of home—I always have my phone on me anyway. Around the holidays I even thought about buying a keyband off of eBay, but quickly realized it'd be a wa$te since I usually have my phone.
Yes. PAAK works very well. No problem there. However, I don‘t want to have to carry my phone everywhere. As I have previously noted, I have a cellular enabled Apple Watch that frees me from always having to have my phone with me. I love that freedom! And, I don’t like having to fish my phone out of my pocket, when I need to unlock/lock my doors, especially at home where this feature is disabled.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Many apps on the iPhone has Apple Watch support. Hope Rivian implements it on their app so that the watch can be used as a key.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I believe the Apple Watch uses a different tech than the phone to make it function as a key. My BMW only supports the phone as well. So is life, I never heard anyone mention this was coming soon.

logan

First Name
logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes. PAAK works very well. No problem there. However, I don‘t want to have to carry my phone everywhere. As I have previously noted, I have a cellular enabled Apple Watch that frees me from always having to have my phone with me. I love that freedom! And, I don’t like having to fish my phone out of my pocket, when I need to unlock/lock my doors, especially at home where this feature is disabled.
Not what you asked for but I was able to get a rivian wristband while my truck was at the service center. I use it when I go running. Works just like the keycard. FWIW.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
This thread may help - see page 5. I haven't tried it yet but the claim is the latest app update enables Apple Watch functionality...

Rivian App Updated...

Rivian R1T R1S Watch as a key? 1708227450984

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This thread may help - see page 5. I haven't tried it yet but the claim is the latest app update enables Apple Watch functionality...

Rivian App Updated...

1708227450984.png
I haven't done this myself so I reserve the right to be wrong. But from what I see, this watch functionality is not a native watch app. It's a shortcut and still requires the phone app to execute the commands. It won't work without the phone.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
As a shortcut, it is really just a manual lock or a manual unlock. This would not have the proximity lock/unlock feature of the iPhone or FOB. I imagine one would need two shortcuts installed - one to lock and one to unlock. I would like the car to lock and unlock automatically, just as it does with the phone/fob. I’m going install this shortcut on my Apple Watch Ultra and see what happens. If I have to have my phone with me, it is pretty useless for my use case.

I installed the shortcuts (lock and unlock). They definitely require the iPhone to be in the vicinity. Not sure of the range. But, they do work, so I guess that’s something.

Last edited:

Crys Stevens

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

With all the issues they have had with PAAK, I have to wonder if WAAK has its own challenges to get working correctly. I suspect that the watch emits a lower power signal, which could create more challenges to having reliable, consistent operation.
When I ordered Rivian, one of selling points was wristband that I could wear all the time. Then was told it only came w launch edition. Very disappointing. However, if they could get Apple Watch to work, I would be satisfied.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Not what you asked for but I was able to get a rivian wristband while my truck was at the service center. I use it when I go running. Works just like the keycard. FWIW.
I think both works using RFID with the vehicle. So for Apple Watch, it would be great if we can start with just RFID to open the lock. Lock will happen as no connected device is found as long as it's set to lock on default. This only works with proximity, rather than any wireless connection.

Things like preset temperature to cool/warm vehicle up is the next layer and that requires more than RFID, along with the vehicle location.

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
After installing the lock and unlock shortcuts on my Apple Watch Ultra, I went back in to check out the other shortcuts on the Rivian list (there were quite few). However, I could not, for the life me, find them. I’ve got 18 shortcuts for Teslas, which I don’t own, but no Rivian shortcuts. They have just disappeared. Anybody have this issue or know of a way to locate the missing shortcuts?

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
WHY do PEOPLE keep randomly CAPITALIZING fob? It's just poor writing mechanics.
Sponsored