Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I ordered the Emporia unit mentioned above for my office and will hardwire on a dedicated 60A connection for the maximum 48A output. For the money this unit seems to be a great bang for your buck when others are 2x the cost! At home I will use the Rivian charger once it arrives and until then I will use the supplied portable until to juice up overnight until I am at work.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
@3121: Looks awesome. I want to do something similar so I can charge my model S and Rivian... probably staggered charging like you mentioned.
How many mph do you get from your emporia 48A setup?
22-25mph, 48A x 240v is pumping out the max the truck can accept = 11.5kw

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

I ordered a Rivian Wall charger with my R1S (Sept 2019). I've had a Model S since Feb 2014 for which I use the mobile connector that plugs into a NEMA 14-50 circuit in my garage. It charges at 23-25 miles per hour. Will the Rivian do the same if I install another 14-50 outlet? Can anyone comment on a Rivian wall charger vs. a different wall charger? Are there better after-market chargers? Maybe some that keep track of your kWh?
PSA:
For anyone thinking about buying the Rivian Charger with your R1T/R1S purchaseā€¦they are currently OUT OF STOCK apparently! My delivery has been scheduled for 5/25/2022, but after going through the 8 step purchase process, then reaching out to my guide (very hard to reach and slow responding BTW) finally calling CS to hear ā€œall chargers are currently on back orderā€!!! WTF! My order has ALWAY included the charger (my thought wasā€¦its the branded charger so it should pair the best, its 48A, its well priced, it can be included in the financing)ā€¦well, I would definitely done things different had I known they hadnā€™t allocated enough units for people who have ordered them with their R1ā€¦VERY POOR SHOW RIVIAN! Now Iā€™m stuck waiting for a charger that will come ā€˜sOOnā€™ (yeah, right)! Guess Iā€™ll get to try out the included charge cord includedā€¦SMHā€¦I had planned on NEVER using that!

Hey Rivianā€¦how about making it clear what accessories are available at time of signing purchase docsā€¦.you know, so people can make well informed decisionsā€¦instead of paying $$$ for shit you donā€™t even have!

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
PSA:
For anyone thinking about buying the Rivian Charger with your R1T/R1S purchaseā€¦they are currently OUT OF STOCK apparently! My delivery has been scheduled for 5/25/2022, but after going through the 8 step purchase process, then reaching out to my guide (very hard to reach and slow responding BTW) finally calling CS to hear ā€œall chargers are currently on back orderā€!!! WTF! My order has ALWAY included the charger (my thought wasā€¦its the branded charger so it should pair the best, its 48A, its well priced, it can be included in the financing)ā€¦well, I would definitely done things different had I known they hadnā€™t allocated enough units for people who have ordered them with their R1ā€¦VERY POOR SHOW RIVIAN! Now Iā€™m stuck waiting for a charger that will come ā€˜sOOnā€™ (yeah, right)! Guess Iā€™ll get to try out the included charge cord includedā€¦SMHā€¦I had planned on NEVER using that!

Hey Rivianā€¦how about making it clear what accessories are available at time of signing purchase docsā€¦.you know, so people can make well informed decisionsā€¦instead of paying $$$ for shit you donā€™t even have!
Unfortunately, it feels like most EVSEs (not just the Rivian branded version) are on backorder. Iā€™m waiting on a ChargePoint Home Flex to participate in a program from my electric provider. I signed up in March, but still waiting for EVSE to get back in stock. In the meantime, the electrician was able to come and install a new 60 amp circuit with a 14-50 NEMA outlet, with a plan to come back later to install the EVSE.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately, it feels like most EVSEs (not just the Rivian branded version) are on backorder. Iā€™m waiting on a ChargePoint Home Flex to participate in a program from my electric provider. I signed up in March, but still waiting for EVSE to get back in stock. In the meantime, the electrician was able to come and install a new 60 amp circuit with a 14-50 NEMA outlet, with a plan to come back later to install the EVSE.
Anyone interested in ones in stock, Emporia Energy just got there 48 amp charger UL listed, they are in stock. I have not seen the UL listed one but have the one they were selling while they were going through the UL listing process. I like the one I have, it is well built and has a decent app. Customer support is pretty responsive. The 48 amp charger is 448 from Amazon.

Iā€™m not affiliated with the company, just sharing the information. I think there are a few other people on this forum as well with one of these chargers. I liked mine so much I cancelled the Rivian charger I was going to put in my other house and picked up another one of these.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cactus

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

PSA:

Don't be too hard on Rivian. It may be out of their control due to supply chain issues.

OEVA

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oeva.org
Vehicles
many
https://www.cityelectricsupply.com/...0a-nema-14-50-plug-70104-mm-23-charging-cable

Got one of my Chargepoint units from them when other companies were all out of stock. Got it in time to qualify for the expiring tax credit at the end of 2021.

They show ~400 of the 14-50 and ~ 250 of the 6-50 in stock. Either will do if you aim to get the full capability since the pigtail is removed to hardwire the unit.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Basic NEMA 14-50 outlet charged my Tesla at about 28mi/hr, and now my Rivian at 16mi/hr. I wish it was faster, but it'll be fine - plugging in for the night still gets me charged as much as I need by morning.

Sponsored

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I got my Emporia 48A UL charger over the weekend for my office and I will use the portable plug supplied with the truck at home until the Rivian unit gets delivered...

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

Don't be too hard on Rivian. It may be out of their control due to supply chain issues.
Itā€™s not that hard to know you donā€™t have something in stock to sell or notā€¦I mean, otherwise Iā€™d be getting rich selling waterfront condos in the desert. :bandit:

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I reached out to my Guide since delivery for me is this Friday. She replied with tracking for my Rivian charger that arrives TODAY via UPS!

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Through our local power company, we can get a $500 rebate for a level 2 charger purchase - Either Juicebox or Chargepoint Home.

Total out of pocket would be ~$250 after tax etc. You also get a yearly $50 credit for only charging between certain hours at night.

Do you think installing a level 2 charge at home is worth the $250? So far, I've never needed anything more than the portable charger, but I'm always interested in a good deal.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Basic NEMA 14-50 outlet charged my Tesla at about 28mi/hr, and now my Rivian at 16mi/hr. I wish it was faster, but it'll be fine - plugging in for the night still gets me charged as much as I need by morning.
If you are plugging the mobile "charger" into the outlet you are only getting 32 A. You can get 40A out of this receptacle but you will have to buy a 40A plug in charger. Tesla sells their 40A "Corded Mobile Connector" for $200 but it is, like most of the others, out of stock at the moment. You will also need a Tesla to J1772 adapter. There are other manufacturers but $200 is pretty cheap.
Sponsored